• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while on personal property.

Liberitarian

imported post

Hello,

I am new to the forums and have conducted some preliminary research of Wichita ordinances pertaining to OC, but have found nothing on the subject. Im also in the dark on how to transport firearms in avehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

A minor...are you talking about under 18?

Remember that Federal law 18USC922(x) prohibits the general possession of handguns by those under 18. There are certain exceptions, but not for general open carry.

mitchd

imported post

Freedom&Privacy wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the forums and have conducted some preliminary research of Wichita ordinances pertaining to OC, but have found nothing on the subject. Im also in the dark on how to transport firearms in avehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wichita prevents carrying of loaded firearms open or concealed, except where allowed by the Kansas PPA. On your own property you may carry concealed, I recommend you look at "Criminal Possesion of a Firearm" in the Wichita code.

Transport in a vehicle: Since Wichita prohibits open carry of a loaded firearm, I would advise against open carry (loaded or unloaded in the vehicle). KS Law states you shall not br prosecuted for lawful transportation (iaw fed. law) of a firearm if that firearm in unloaded and in an enclosed container (case, gun rug, etc). No indication about ammunition location.

I highly encourage you to consult a lawyer, or search KS legislature for yourself.

Feel free to come visit www.ksccw.com

mitchd

imported post

BobCav:

I'm not following your logic here. The City limits of Wichita encompass no land sufficiently large enough for hunting, and discharge of firearms (with exception to lawful lethal force) is prohibited.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nowhere in this thread was it made clear the subject is the CITY of Witchita, and there is a Witchita County.

The prohibition of "discharge of firearms" is a law in nearly every city, county and state in the US. It only applies to unlawful discharges. OTherwise every LEO that fires a gun to stop a BG would be guilty.

mitchd

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Nowhere in this thread was it made clear the subject is the CITY of Witchita, and there is a Witchita County.

The prohibition of "discharge of firearms" is a law in nearly every city, county and state in the US. It only applies to unlawful discharges. OTherwise every LEO that fires a gun to stop a BG would be guilty.

I realized this (lawful lethal force), and edited my post accordingly. But I had something urgent come up and had to run to Wichita (city) :)

I did not realize there was a Wichita County. The City of Wichita is located in Sedgwick County. We need more information for the OP then.

spurrit

imported post

Yes, there are. In SEVERAL places. You're also forgetting the indoor ranges.