• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I open carry if the gun is not registered?

dogdays

imported post

Why? I have several weapons that have been handed down to me through the years that are not registered to my knowledge. The only time I would have to register a weapon is if I bought a "New" one.

Drewesque

imported post

dogdays wrote:
Why? I have several weapons that have been handed down to me through the years that are not registered to my knowledge. The only time I would have to register a weapon is if I bought a "New" one.
He may be referring to Michigan-specific laws. In any case, Federal law does not require firearm registration and registered weapons are a good start for a disarmament shopping list.
I say not to register the gun, but carry a registered one if the law in your area requires such (after all, it wouldn't be an easy court battle).

67390FE

imported post

Currently, Michigan has a "safety inspection". It'sbasically the same thing. There is proposed legislation to repeal the safety insp. (HB4490 and SB0370). The proposal has beenreferred to the judiciary committee in the senate and my understanding is that the chair is an Anti. We'll just have to wait and see (and of course LOBBY!).

Leader

imported post

No you may not carry an unregistered hand gun in Michigan.

[align=left]750.228 Failure to have pistol inspected; applicability; penalty.[/align]

[align=left]Sec. 228. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who fails to have his or her pistol inspected as required under[/align]

[align=left]§ 750.227f
FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGAN — STATUTES 126[/align]
[align=left]section 9 of Act No. 372 of the Public Acts of 1927, being section 28.429 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, is guilty of a misdemeanor[/align]
[align=left]punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.[/align]
[align=left](2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who obtained a pistol in violation of section 9 of Act No. 372 of the Public Acts[/align]
[align=left]of 1927, before the effective date of the 1990 amendatory act that added this subsection, who has not been convicted of that[/align]
[align=left]violation, and who has his or her pistol inspected as required under section 9 of Act No. 372 of the Public Acts of 1927 within[/align]
[align=left]90 days after the effective date of the 1990 amendatory act that added this subsection.[/align]

[align=left]History:
1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931;—CL 1948, 750.228;—Am. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991.[/align]
[align=left]Compiler’s note:
For provisions of section 9, referred to in this section, see § 28.429.[/align]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

What is the time frame for a visitor or new resident to have the pistol "inspected"?

Presuming this time frame is not breached, it appears that the open carrier will have violated no Michigan statute.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Mike wrote:
What is the time frame for a visitor or new resident to have the pistol "inspected"?

Presuming this time frame is not breached, it appears that the open carrier will have violated no Michigan statute.
My understanding is that it's 30 days.

Mr_Diamond, I would suggest that you research the laws on firearms in Michigan in terms of possession.

para_org

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Cut And Shoot wrote:
glock36 wrote:
All pistols have to be registered regardless if you want to carry or not.

Not in Oregon, Washington, I think probably Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and Arizona -- just off the top of my head.

Not in Tennessee, Alabama, Wyoming.
Not in New Mexico.... The back of my CHL (which is only used for concealed carry as open carry is legal without it,) lists the maximum calibers I have range qualified for. Since open carry does not have a license, handguns are not registered by the state for personal use, our state constitution makes open carry without a license legal, there are private handgun transfers without paperwork, and concealed carry is by caliber size....um, ain't no such thing around these parts pardner.

worrbaron

imported post

Michigan honors other states CCW licenses, so would they need to inspect my firearm if I was visiting and OCing?