• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banned from Wal-Mart

danbus

imported post

Yeah, yeah, it finally happened. Here is MY side of the story:

I was with my friend and her family in Charlotsville, VA. We wanted to do some shopping and seeing the scenic views. We drove to Wal-Mart in Waynesboro. We were in the store approx 1 hour. Numerous customers noticed me carrying my firearm, yet didn't have any noticeable reaction. Even a few Wal-Mart associates noticed and didn't say a word. It was only until I was LEAVING when the door greeter noticed and had a huge reaction. She then told another co-worker of what she had seen. While I was outside eating a tasty McD double cheeseburgerand conversing with my friend while he was smoking, an employee approached me.

Employee - Is that a gun?

Me - Yes.

Emp - A real gun?

Me - Uh-huh.

Emp - It's not a BB gun?

Me - No. (wtf, this lady is really simple)

Emp - You took that inside the store?

Me - Yeah. (NO, I left it outside on it's leash)

Emp - Do you have a license to carry that?

Me - State of Virginia doesn't require a license.

Emp - WHAT?!

Me - STATE OF VIRGINIA DOESN'T REQUIRE ME TO HAVE A LICENSE TO CARRY IT! (that's what I should have said, but I just repeated my first answer in a calm manner)

So, she then put this disgusted look on her face and walked away. My friend and I looked at each other and shrugged. 45 seconds later, the family comes out and we make our way to the car. 2 steps before getting to the car, a LEO walked up to me and asked if I could speak with him. I complied. Conversation went on like this:

LEO - So what's going on?

Me - I have no clue.

LEO - Well, we received a call about a man with a gun. They where walking around the store looking for you.

Me - No one didn't say a thing to me except "do you need any help today?". Besides I was outside.

LEO - Do you have a permit?

Me - Nope.

LEO - Don't you think that carrying like that would scary other people?

Me - Depends. But have I did anything illegal?

LEO - No, but if I weren't on the job, and I saw you carrying, I would have some concern.

Me - When was the last time youheard of a criminal open carrying? (2 seconds of silence).Am I free to go?

LEO - Before you go, can I see some identification?

Me - Why, if you don't mind me asking?

LEO - To make sure you don't have any warrants or felony charges.

Me - Did I do something wrong?

LEO - No, I just want to know who I'm talking to.

Me - Am I required to show you identification right now?

LEO - No, but I now feel uneasy that you won't show me your ID.

Me - I understand you are doing you job, and I have the utmost respect for you, however if I have done nothing wrong and I am not required to show ID, I'm going to be on my way.

LEO - If you just leave, I cannot complete the call that I'm on. We can do this 1 of 2 ways. You can just show me your ID and I'll let you be on your way OR I can ask the store manager if he wants to ban you from Wal-Mart and at that point, it WILL require you to provide ID. If we take choice number 2, I would have to detain you.

Me - Do what you must do.

At this point he radios for another unit to speak with the manager. So while we are waiting (it's been about 10 mins so far) we starting chatting about guns and the recent VT shooting. Almost 5 mins later, another unit pulls up and the 1st LEO explains the situation. First thing out the 2nd LEO's mouth was:

2nd LEO - Why is the hammer cocked back?

Me - That's the way I like to carry it.

2nd LEO - So why do you have it cocked back?

Me - Because it's a 1911.

2nd LEO - (blank stare)

Me - It was designed to be carried in condition one.

2nd LEO - (blank stare)

Me - "Cocked and locked".

2nd LEO - Well that's dangerous. Someone could bump into you and it could go off.

Me - It has 3 safeties, the firing pin, the thumb, and grip.

1st LEO - we are waiting for the manager to come out.

(5 mins later) 1st LEO steps away and speaks to the manager. (2 mins later) 1st LEO explains that the manager has to call his manager. (10 mins later) They fill out the paper work and I'm on my way.

WTF...

So when I got home I called 1-800-WALMART laid down the 411 and they said I will get a call within a few business days.

I will still continue to open carry. I will continue to open carry until my gun gets tired of being carried openly.

Your thoughts and comments will be most appreciated.

***special thanks to Jim for lending an ear when I need to talk***

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Danbus, you never cease to amaze me with your logic and calm demeanor. I can only hope I will react with such poise if I'm ever in that type of situation.

Please keep us posted. I am so disappointed you've had these troubles. And I hope Wal-Mart does the right thing and reiterates their corporate policy to the store manager.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Danbus, that was awesome, you did great!

I'd be very interested to see if the LEO's got a copy of the report from WalMart and ran your ID based on that.

You smell that?

It smells like....

FOIA TIME!!!!

ET

imported post

We can do this 1 of 2 ways. You can just show me your ID and I'll let you be on your way OR I can ask the store manager if he wants to ban you from Wal-Mart and at that point, it WILL require you to provide ID. If we take choice number 2, I would have to detain you.

Why was the LEO detaining him to help Walmart fill out paperwork? Is there a section in the VA code about being banned from Walmart?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Given your position and objectives, I think you did an excellent job, danbus. Very effective and methodical. Textbook procedure.

I would write a formal letter to Customer Relations/Services (addressed to a specificexecutive/director) with a cc to that corporate guy in Bentonville that gets cited here occasionally.

Excellent write-up, also. You even qualified it as "MY side of the story." That's quality work.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Wow.

Maybe, just maybe, he will get something in writing from corporate.

One question - can the police detain someone while asking the manager if he wants them banned? It seems that the police were trying to get him banned.

swatpro911

imported post

danbus wrote:
Yeah, yeah, it finally happened. Here is MY side of the story:

I was with my friend and her family in Charlotsville, VA. We wanted to do some shopping and seeing the scenic views. We drove to Wal-Mart in Waynesboro. We were in the store approx 1 hour. Numerous customers noticed me carrying my firearm, yet didn't have any noticeable reaction. Even a few Wal-Mart associates noticed and didn't say a word. It was only until I was LEAVING when the door greeter noticed and had a huge reaction. She then told another co-worker of what she had seen. While I was outside eating a tasty McD double cheeseburgerand conversing with my friend while he was smoking, an employee approached me.

Employee - Is that a gun?

Me - Yes.

Emp - A real gun?

Me - Uh-huh.

Emp - It's not a BB gun?

Me - No. (wtf, this lady is really simple)

Emp - You took that inside the store?

Me - Yeah. (NO, I left it outside on it's leash)

Emp - Do you have a license to carry that?

Me - State of Virginia doesn't require a license.

Emp - WHAT?!

Me - STATE OF VIRGINIA DOESN'T REQUIRE ME TO HAVE A LICENSE TO CARRY IT! (that's what I should have said, but I just repeated my first answer in a calm manner)

So, she then put this disgusted look on her face and walked away. My friend and I looked at each other and shrugged. 45 seconds later, the family comes out and we make our way to the car. 2 steps before getting to the car, a LEO walked up to me and asked if I could speak with him. I complied. Conversation went on like this:

LEO - So what's going on?

Me - I have no clue.

LEO - Well, we received a call about a man with a gun. They where walking around the store looking for you.

Me - No one didn't say a thing to me except "do you need any help today?". Besides I was outside.

LEO - Do you have a permit?

Me - Nope.

LEO - Don't you think that carrying like that would scary other people?

Me - Depends. But have I did anything illegal?

LEO - No, but if I weren't on the job, and I saw you carrying, I would have some concern.

Me - When was the last time youheard of a criminal open carrying? (2 seconds of silence).Am I free to go?

LEO - Before you go, can I see some identification?

Me - Why, if you don't mind me asking?

LEO - To make sure you don't have any warrants or felony charges.

Me - Did I do something wrong?

LEO - No, I just want to know who I'm talking to.

Me - Am I required to show you identification right now?

LEO - No, but I now feel uneasy that you won't show me your ID.

Me - I understand you are doing you job, and I have the utmost respect for you, however if I have done nothing wrong and I am not required to show ID, I'm going to be on my way.

LEO - If you just leave, I cannot complete the call that I'm on. We can do this 1 of 2 ways. You can just show me your ID and I'll let you be on your way OR I can ask the store manager if he wants to ban you from Wal-Mart and at that point, it WILL require you to provide ID. If we take choice number 2, I would have to detain you.

Me - Do what you must do.

At this point he radios for another unit to speak with the manager. So while we are waiting (it's been about 10 mins so far) we starting chatting about guns and the recent VT shooting. Almost 5 mins later, another unit pulls up and the 1st LEO explains the situation. First thing out the 2nd LEO's mouth was:

2nd LEO - Why is the hammer cocked back?

Me - That's the way I like to carry it.

2nd LEO - So why do you have it cocked back?

Me - Because it's a 1911.

2nd LEO - (blank stare)

Me - It was designed to be carried in condition one.

2nd LEO - (blank stare)

Me - "Cocked and locked".

2nd LEO - Well that's dangerous. Someone could bump into you and it could go off.

Me - It has 3 safeties, the firing pin, the thumb, and grip.

1st LEO - we are waiting for the manager to come out.

(5 mins later) 1st LEO steps away and speaks to the manager. (2 mins later) 1st LEO explains that the manager has to call his manager. (10 mins later) They fill out the paper work and I'm on my way.

WTF...

So when I got home I called 1-800-WALMART laid down the 411 and they said I will get a call within a few business days.

I will still continue to open carry. I will continue to open carry until my gun gets tired of being carried openly.

Your thoughts and comments will be most appreciated.

***special thanks to Jim for lending an ear when I need to talk***
I understand your point of view, but in todays world u cant have that kind of attitude towards cops. Eventhough there is nothing wrong the way you handled the situation but u created a drama, and drew attention. If you return to that location in the future u will be arrested. I have barred people in the past, as long as they cooperate and help me help them we are cool. Even if a cops came up to me and said do u want to barr them? I would say nah they are cool, no need for that. Cops on the job has arrogance and just dont show it. They demand respect and want to be treated same as you are. If you had just showed him the ID and then gave him the lecture then he wud have gotten the idea that your not some ordinary folks from the corner but well versed and tactical. Patience is the key my man. "sometimesu gotta go with the flow and not create a big issue out of it" later u cud have filed complaint on that officer but now u cant. Anyway good job. But you could have done it better!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I think you did very well! Too bad you got this sort of treatment from the LEO and from Wal-Mart.

When the officer said "We can do it1 of 2 ways" you could have replied, "I'll take the 3rd way, which is to leave. Good-bye!"

I loved the priceless little gem from the Wal-Mart lady "Is that a gun?" Clearly the proper response is, "No, I'm just glad to see you."

I think the one officer's apparent ignorance of your 1911 shows that all cops are not "gun people" by any stretch. One rarely sees a police officer with a 1911, right? Small wonder.

72Malibu

imported post

My thoughts:

#1. The only thing that I thinkI would have addedwas the key word "open". "In the state of Virginia, I'm not required to have a permit to open carry my sidearm." Kind of petty I know, but it would have educated her more and left little room for interpretation. From your quote of what she said, I don't think it would have registered anyway. :lol:

#2. 'The officer wouldn't have been able to complete the call if you left.'I wonder what thatis that supposed to mean? To me, phrased like that, it didn't sound like it was YOUR problem but the Officer's and Wal Mart's. It would have been interesting to hear a clarification of that statement. If it didn't have any bad consequences for you, I would have then said "sorry to hear that, have a good day." and left.

Great handling of the situation! Not too many people can keep a cool head in even situations like that. I think I would have a hard time with the anxiety that would probably fill me and prevent me from being clear, concise and cool headed. Cops make me nervous whether I'm carrying or not. Don't know why.

Keep us updated definitely! For a second I thought you were talking about the Wal Mart in Charlottesville, Since I live nearby and work in Charlottesville, it grabbed my attention right away. I've never OC'd at this one yet though.

Rescue

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
I understand your point of view, but in todays world u cant have that kind of attitude towards cops. Eventhough there is nothing wrong the way you handled the situation but u created a drama, and drew attention. If you return to that location in the future u will be arrested. I have barred people in the past, as long as they cooperate and help me help them we are cool. Even if a cops came up to me and said do u want to barr them? I would say nah they are cool, no need for that. Cops on the job has arrogance and just dont show it. They demand respect and want to be treated same as you are. If you had just showed him the ID and then gave him the lecture then he wud have gotten the idea that your not some ordinary folks from the corner but well versed and tactical. Patience is the key my man. "sometimesu gotta go with the flow and not create a big issue out of it" later u cud have filed complaint on that officer but now u cant. Anyway good job. But you could have done it better!
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "that kind of attitude". Do you mean by not showing ID that he had an "attitude" and was creating "drama"? He wasn't breaking the law and therefore didn't have to produce ID. I fail to see how exercising your rights equals having an attitude. It also sounds like he was extremely patient. From the times stated in the post it sounds like this encounter lasted 30 minutes or more. I don't know a lot of people that could have handled it that well given that he wasn't doing anything illegal.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

72Malibu wrote:
My thoughts:
#2. 'The officer wouldn't have been able to complete the call if you left.'I wonder what thatis that supposed to mean? To me, phrased like that, it didn't sound like it was YOUR problem but the Officer's and Wal Mart's. It would have been interesting to hear a clarification of that statement. If it didn't have any bad consequences for you, I would have then said "sorry to hear that, have a good day." and left.
IANAL Mixed into this event is trespass law. To have been detained would prevent the cure for trespass - departure.

exceltoexcel

imported post

" understand your point of view, but in todays world u cant have that kind of attitude towards cops. Eventhough there is nothing wrong the way you handled the situation but u created a drama, and drew attention. If you return to that location in the future u will be arrested. I have barred people in the past, as long as they cooperate and help me help them we are cool. Even if a cops came up to me and said do u want to barr them? I would say nah they are cool, no need for that. Cops on the job has arrogance and just dont show it. They demand respect and want to be treated same as you are. If you had just showed him the ID and then gave him the lecture then he wud have gotten the idea that your not some ordinary folks from the corner but well versed and tactical. Patience is the key my man. "sometimesu gotta go with the flow and not create a big issue out of it" later u cud have filed complaint on that officer but now u cant. Anyway good job. But you could have done it better!"

Yeah in today's society, which has less homicides and violent crime than in the past 20 years :uhoh:

67GT390FB

imported post

I forwarded this to my girlfriend Kim and we are contemplating driving up to the this Wal Mart and seeing if a white man and woman OC cocked and locked 1911's receive a different reaction. she sent me the following things to post as she can't access the sight from work:

Joe,
I thought he handled it marvelously. I understand the feeling of wanting to provide the ID to the officer just to get along with the officer and try to make their job easier so to speak, and I may have been inclined to show my ID, but I don't know that that is the right thing to do. I am not asked for my ID when I do other law abiding activities. Why should I have to count on being asked for my ID when I legally open carry? We should not be conditioned to expect to be asked for ID's. It's embarrassing being asked questions by police officers as though you're a criminal. I would say the Walmart associate caused the scene. I think the VCDL (I THINK SHE MEANT OCDO)member did everything he could do to not create a scene. People are robbed, raped, car-jacked, etc. in parking lots. We have a right to defend ourselves and a right to be treated like the law abiding citizens we are.

Store management should have handled the situation more professionally and in a more educated manner rather than causing a scene that benefited nobody and wasted the time of a paying customer and two police officers who I'm sure had more important things to do.

Kim

AND

I have a comment in response to "Don't you think that carrying like that would scary other people?":
What does "other people" mean? People who are not police officers? People who don't open carry? People who aren't familiar with firearm safety? People who like waffles instead of pancakes? And what specifically would scare these "other people" if we knew who these other people were?
I'm keenly aware of the fact that almost anybody who walks past me anywhere is capable of severely injuring me. In fact, a little old lady in Walmart could lift up a matching mixing bowl set and clobber me on the head. Because I have a fear, does that mean nobody over 110 pounds should be allowed in Walmart because they will scare me? That would mean all police officers are scary? That's ridiculous.
Walmart does not have police officers on duty in the store. Even if they had police officers on duty in the store, they would not be able to hire enough police officers to walk with everybody from their car, walk with each person while they shop, then walk back to each person's car. We are responsible for our own personal safety. I wish I had lived one of these puppies and kittens kind of lives that these people in Walmart have apparently lived.

Kim

MAN AM I ONE LUCKY GUY OR WHAT :) AND NO SHE DOESN'T HAVE A SISTER.

Tomahawk

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:

Uh...oooookee-doke. Whatever you say.

Hey look! A unicorn!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

What's with the white and the black thing? I find that rather disingenuous. As a Southern man, I might even find that a little more than that.

Anyway, interesting that after you were out of the store and off company property (I assume), you were detained by the officer for the manager. Seems to me, that would be after the fact and water over the bridge at that point. I did like the part about the 2nd LEO having some problems understanding Condition One. While I respect our officers of the law, it has been my experience that more than just a few have limited knowledge about firearms. I think that is a might curious.