• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ritter signs concealed weapons law

Kelly J

imported post

Post subject: Ritter signs concealed weapons law
http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=70283

Planning on going through CO with that FL permit?

5/18/2007
DENVER (AP) - Gov. Bill Ritter signed 16 bills on Thursday, including one barring Colorado residents from using concealed weapons permits from other states in Colorado.

Out-of-state visitors will be allowed to use permits issued by their home states, and not a third state, under the law (Senate Bill 34).

House Majority Leader Alice Madden (D-Boulder) said she sponsored the bill because she was concerned people denied permits in Colorado could get them elsewhere and use them here.

Dudley Brown, spokesman for Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, said the bill could prevent some people who travel from defending themselves and their families when they are in Colorado.

Colorado permit holders must apply in person and undergo a background check. The permit costs $152.50 and lasts for five years.

Other new laws include one that will streamline procedures for notifying owners of mineral interests about planned surface development and will regulate negotiations of surface use agreements. Another requires treatment for firefighters with cancers that could be related to their jobs.

Ritter still has about 200 bills to sign before a June 4 deadline

exceltoexcel

imported post

I don't think we should need a permit, but if we are going to lay down and accept permits then I don't have a problem with a law that makes residents of a state have a licence issued from that state. It does keep them from permit shopping, and this law doesn't prohibit out-of-staters from using there states permit so it isn't terrible but as I said before we shouldn't need a permit.

PavePusher

imported post

exceltoexcel wrote:
I don't think we should need a permit, but if we are going to lay down and accept permits then I don't have a problem with a law that makes residents of a state have a licence issued from that state. It does keep them from permit shopping, and this law doesn't prohibit out-of-staters from using there states permit so it isn't terrible but as I said before we shouldn't need a permit.

So what are those of us from Vermont supposed to do? I'm currently trying to get non-resident permits for New Hampshire and Utah (I have relatives in both states), and having problems because while I am a legal resident of Vermont, I haven't lived there since I joined the USAF in 1990. So I have no address there, even though I've filed tax returns for 20 years. This is just one more coffin nail in my not so humble opinion.

There needs to be a standard, nation-wide OC/CC law and criminal check. :cuss:

exceltoexcel

imported post

There need to be an end to this permit non-sense. Open carry should be legal thoughout the land. If we stand by manner of carry then open carry would be what one would do while in another state. Sorry that your state has it right but because of the majority of other states having it wrong you're screwed. However how wonderful is it that you live in a state that has it correct!

reefteach

imported post

It directly affets me. OH permits are not valid in CO. FL is Valid, therefore when obtaining a CHL I chose to obtain the FL because I visit my mom once or twice per year in Colorado Springs.

Beginning July 1 I may no longer conceal in CO.

FL citizens are still authorized to conceal on an FL license. I met the same requirements, the same training, paid the same money, had the same background check.

If this was some kind of crime fighting tool, let me how it is supposed to work. Seems like it onlyburdens lawful owners/ carriers.

Seems like it is only making legal owners/ carriers jump through more hoops.

I'll be open carrying a full size 686 while out there this time. If they want to take away my ability to conceal, I'm left with the open carry option. And I hope other tourists in my situation decide the same. Or just vacation elsewhere.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

If I fly to Las Vegas and get married, not being a Nevada resident, all the other states and possessions must recognize the marriage! Including your home state! In principle, what is the difference?

exceltoexcel

imported post

If you have a permit to practice law in NYthat permit doesn't allow you topractice law in CA.

reefteach

imported post

exceltoexcel wrote:
If you have a permit to practice law in NYthat permit doesn't allow you topractice law in CA.

That argument is not the same.

Colorado is saying that some FL permits will be honored, and where one lives will determine whos will be invalid.

Kelly J

imported post

reefteach wrote:
exceltoexcel wrote:

That argument is not the same.

Colorado is saying that some FL permits will be honored, and where one lives will determine whos will be invalid.

I hate to disagree but in fact it does apply as the two states have different laws, on this as well as many other subjects.

What we need is a National Concealed carry Law, that allows us to carry no mater where we are, at least until the SC decides to hear the Second Amendment Cases and rule according to the Bill of Rights, provision that it does, in fact guarantee us (THE PEOPLE) the Right to keep and bear arms, then it will be a non issue no matter where we are in the Country, or how we plan to carry.

A simple point to ponder; if the Second Amendment, only applied to the State and or the Militia, why was it put into the Bill of Rights which were there to guarantee to the People, that these Rights are important enough to be added even before the Ratification of the Document could take place? For that matter without the Bill of Rights, the Constitution would not have been accepted by the People, because it was the set of circumstances that the people could see, and know, would not be like the Monarchy of old.

Kelly J

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
Post subject: Ritter signs concealed weapons law
http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=70283

Planning on going through CO with that FL permit?

5/18/2007
DENVER (AP) - Gov. Bill Ritter signed 16 bills on Thursday, including one barring Colorado residents from using concealed weapons permits from other states in Colorado.

Out-of-state visitors will be allowed to use permits issued by their home states, and not a third state, under the law (Senate Bill 34).

House Majority Leader Alice Madden (D-Boulder) said she sponsored the bill because she was concerned people denied permits in Colorado could get them elsewhere and use them here.

Dudley Brown, spokesman for Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, said the bill could prevent some people who travel from defending themselves and their families when they are in Colorado.

Colorado permit holders must apply in person and undergo a background check. The permit costs $152.50 and lasts for five years.

Other new laws include one that will streamline procedures for notifying owners of mineral interests about planned surface development and will regulate negotiations of surface use agreements. Another requires treatment for firefighters with cancers that could be related to their jobs.

Ritter still has about 200 bills to sign before a June 4 deadline

I went back and reread this and found it to be the most stupid reasn that I could imagine.

If a person is denied a CCW permit in one state there is a very strong chance that it would be denied in all the other's as the same Federal background check is made.

Or did I misundestand the process involved?