Thread: How long do we have?

Post imported post

OT

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Well the only fly in the ointment is that this has never been a democracy. It is a representative republic. That is a distinction with a difference. So technically we do not fit the model. But I agree with the basic direction predicted by the formula.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Well the only fly in the ointment is that this has never been a democracy. It is a representative republic. That is a distinction with a difference. So technically we do not fit the model. But I agree with the basic direction predicted by the formula.

Regards
    OT

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Herewith, 'the exception to prove the rule.'

How long? Look to the impending elections. I wrote on keepandbeararms.com,
    To keep this 'news' OT; Paul shot himself in the foot, at least, with his comments on 9/11 and Islam-ism. I make that his third strike.

The first strike was not repudiating the drug plank of Libertarianism and the second was 'running' as a Repugnicrat.

The GOP has fooled me twice. The GOP fooled me once with Bush-41 when I was ignorant, shame on them. The GOP fooled me twice with Bush-43 while I was looking, shame on me. I won't be fooled again.

I will vote for a (paleo)conservative or I will work to start the revolution.
    The rule? Not to participate in this web log of personal maunderings posted in 'News & Political Alerts'. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    (snip) The rule? Not to participate in this web log of personal maunderings posted in 'News & Political Alerts'. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.
    Doug, I'm not sure why you would disagree that this would fall under the category of political alerts. We need to be alerted to the established trends found in society because not everyone paid attention in their history classes. All societies have risen and fallen due to their political structuring. We are becoming Rome, where the Romans couldn't be bothered to work for themselves. Even the position of centurion was farmed out to the Barbarians (our government is planning on putting foreign nationals on the border), who had no ties to the Roman empire except as a source of income. Timboctu was the greatest source of education before Christ, and in this civilization they educated leaders from the same civilizations that conquered Timboctu itself (did you know that we educate 70% of the Arab leaders, friendly and suspect,in this country?).

We must be on politicalalert at all times, lest we allow history to repeat itself. The fact is that knowing geo-political history is the best way to protect against our demise.

Wouldn't you agree?

Post imported post

Of course, no population over about 20 can existas a direct democracy - it becomes an unruly mob. A republic is merely a representative democracy - this "distinction" gets made often, and it's rather fine hairsplitting to my thinking.

-ljp

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Of course, no population over about 20 can existas a direct democracy - it becomes an unruly mob. A republic is merely a representative democracy - this "distinction" gets made often, and it's rather fine hairsplitting to my thinking.

-ljp
    OT

Post imported post

A republic may or may not be so constituted as to have such restrictions on its power - it depends on the particular form. I was using the term generically. It's still a form of democracy, just abstracted a level so that representatives do the back-room dealing instead of the unwashed masses themselves. ;-/

-ljp

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    A republic may or may not be so constituted as to have such restrictions on its power - it depends on the particular form. I was using the term generically. It's still a form of democracy, just abstracted a level so that representatives do the back-room dealing instead of the unwashed masses themselves. ;-/

-ljp
    OT

Post imported post

Not really - at least I don't recognize things as being unclear. Gary McLeod, whatever his qualifications for office, is preferring his own definition, which seems a tad embellished beyond what my dictionary says. A republic is a representative democracy. It *ought* to be mindful of Rights and Duties and all the nice Enlightenment abstractions that the founding fathers used capital letters for back in the 18th century, but it needn't be so. Included in McLeod's definition is the statement that"Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best fitted to represent them [emphasis added]." This is demonstrably false...Anyway, this was an innocent semantic observation I was trying to make - not trying to be contrary.

-ljp

Post imported post

OT

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have never understood this 200 year thing. Rome lasted for almost 2000 years as what we refer to as the Byzantine Empire.

Post imported post

Wikipedia lists the United States as a constitutional republic. Distinctly different than a democracy I must say. Indeed, better than a democracy.

However, freedom is still a matter of degree. And while we are more free than other countries, we aren't free enough.

Post imported post

One of my favorite quotes: "Our country is at an awkward stage, too late to work within the system, and too early to shoot the bastards". Claire Wolf, from "101 Things to Do Until the Revolution." Right now, I'm too tired to come up with anything intelligent of my own to say, so that will have to suffice as my take on things.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

glocknroll wrote:
    One of my favorite quotes: "Our country is at an awkward stage, too late to work within the system, and too early to shoot the bastards". Claire Wolf, from "101 Things to Do Until the Revolution." Right now, I'm too tired to come up with anything intelligent of my own to say, so that will have to suffice as my take on things.
    THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!! I NEED THAT BOOK NOW!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Post imported post

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    I have never understood this 200 year thing. Rome lasted for almost 2000 years as what we refer to as the Byzantine Empire.

Ia'm not a history major,but....

If Ia'm correct,for the majority of it's exictance the Roman Empire was ruled from the Throne up until the death of Caligula. After his death, Rome was ruled by the Senate. I belive that was roughly 200 years prior to the " fall of the Roman Empior"

If Ia'm way off on this,,, Just keep it to yourself. There's no need for public humiliation here if my spelling hasn't already done that ! :?

Post imported post

1st freedom wrote:
    ilbob wrote:

Ia'm not a history major,but....

If Ia'm correct,for the majority of it's exictance the Roman Empire was ruled from the Throne up until the death of Caligula. After his death, Rome was ruled by the Senate. I belive that was roughly 200 years prior to the " fall of the Roman Empior"

If Ia'm way off on this,,, Just keep it to yourself. There's no need for public humiliation here if my spelling hasn't already done that ! :?

OT

Post imported post

Why Thank you Kelly,,, It's a gift!!

Quite anice post you put up there. I have made a copy for future referance,,Hope you don't mind