• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone OC in Dayton?

Ground Chuk

imported post

I haven't seen anyone post about it for Dayton. I personally haven't as I'm not sure how Dayton Police will react.

Not asking anyone to be the guinea pig, just wondering if anyone has had any experiences doing so here.

Thanks!

Ground Chuk

imported post

As far as I've seen, his experiences have been in Englewood. That isn't really Dayton. Possibly concidered a part of Dayton, but I believe Englewood has their own police force.

Being in what is considered Dayton, where when called, the Dayton Police show up, that is what I'm asking about. I live in East Dayton. Not such a bad part, but we do have our miscreants. In fact, I'm close to one of the Wright schools, Wilbur I think, but could be Orville. Heck, they are both really close to me!!

I live near Smithville road and the water tower there. That's the part of Dayton I'm talking about.

I've never had any serious problems with the bg's, but the neighbors have had cars stolen on many occasions (I think my dog had a lot to do with that!!) and broken into. A knifing up the street, some gunfire around the area.....usual stuff for this type of area. I think we even had a dead dude found in our alley, but it was down the way from my house.

I had a window shot out by a bb gun, but from what I could tell, it was unintentional. I could hear the kids in the woods close to my house talking and it wasn't like they were trying anything. Probably just plinking and didn't even know they hit the window.But by the time the police arrived they were gone. Scared the crap out of me when it happened though!!

I think the Dayton Police would be cool. But I have no idea. They deal with a lot of crap, so it would be an intense situation. So I was just wondering if any had any experience with the Dayton Police, and what it was like.

I will be carrying open on my property this summer, to test the neighbors tolerance. I know my immediate neighbor is cool, he's an old southern boy. And his relatives live across the street. But the rest I'm not sure about. I guess we will see.

Is it bad that I would "test their tolerance"? I would think not.

Legba

imported post

Yes and no. I wasn't OCing, strictly, but I did have a recent traffic stop in Dayton that bears on this. When the cop saw my empty holster (I don't have a permit, so I have to transport guns in the trunk), he called for backup and they searched me and my car, ostensibly to verify that I was transporting my stuff legally. It was really a fishing trip for contraband because I was in a bad neighborhood. They ended up giving me a bullshit equipment ticket for my car after failing to find any other violations.

So... I would expect to get stopped and asked for explanations, at a minimum, if OCing in Dayton. That or you may face off with 4 squad cars and god help you if you sneeze... It may be different in other precincts in the city, I don't know, but they impressed me as being a bit humorless. Ironically, after hassling me and coming up empty, they joked among themselves that it was probably a good idea for me to have guns in the neighborhood I was in, so who knows.

Notthe mosthelpful response, possibly, but that goes to show you the variability of response by LEOs.

-ljp

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Legba wrote:
Yes and no. I wasn't OCing, strictly, but I did have a recent traffic stop in Dayton that bears on this. When the cop saw my empty holster (I don't have a permit, so I have to transport guns in the trunk), he called for backup and they searched me and my car, ostensibly to verify that I was transporting my stuff legally...
Did you consent to this search? What was the conversation?

Ground Chuk

imported post

I grew up in Beavercreek myself, graduated from B-creek High in 85.

I know for a fact I would be "questioned", as I have long hair, wear leather and such. I look like a human "assault weapon", if you will.

I guess playing in seriously heavy bands have degraded my humanity!! I don't look right!! heheheheh

Bahhh...it's all about personal beliefs, after all. I look mean, but would gladly pet a chicks kittie. Kittie's are cute. I like poochie dogs too. (you thought I was being something there, eh?!). Actually, I was. But I do have a cat. My poochie died several years ago.

On my property is about the only place I would OC right now. I'm sure even then I will get harrassed. Will be doing upkeep soon, so it will get interesting.

With the way I look, though it shouldn't matter, I won't be OC'ing anywhere else.

Legba

imported post

BB62 - here's the prior post about my last run-in with the Dayton cops (you'll need to scroll down). It was actually 4 squad cars and not hundreds of cops (simple hyperbole), but accurate enough otherwise... They don't like me for some reason. "The gun guy" is deeply wounded <sob>... ;-/

The ticket ended up running $85, btw, so make sure you'renot guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors like jaywalkingif/when you get accosted for OCing there.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/2532-1.html

-ljp

Ground Chuk

imported post

I wonder what would happen if I was OC'ing AND CC'ing! Wouldn't that be a hoot!!

I do have my CHL, by the way, andCC wherever I legally can.

I could carry my .357 in my shoulder holster open, and my 9mm concealed. The best of both worlds!!

I'm suprised I haven't read anything about people doing this. Seems it could be a tactical advantage in some instances.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was busy tonight, and missed the monthly meeting of the Open Carry Ohio (ocohio.org) at the Golden Corral in Middletown.

You ought to drop by at one of the meetings, or at least drop them an e-mail.

Tell them BB62 told you about them!

Legba

imported post

Ground Chuk - You play hard/loud? I was in a band eons ago, although it was more along the "classic" hippie-rock stuff and old blues tunes. Still have my guitars and gear, so maybe I'll blow the dust off and get back into it.

Anyway, back to the topic... My car broke down and I've been obliged to walk to work for a couple of days in Hamilton. I have to carry at work, so I've been OCing to and from (about 2.5 miles each way). Stopped in Walgreens for smokes, coffee shops- utterly without incident. I don't know if nobody has noticed, or nobody cares, or if it's accepted behavior, but it's been nice.

My manager's brother-in-law was recently mugged and had the shit beaten out of him, pretty much literally, and ended up at UC hospital for several days over it, so I plan to be unarmed only in the shower and possibly during sex from now on. The police and "concerned" citizens can just get used to it.

-ljp

Ground Chuk

imported post

BB62 wrote:
I was busy tonight, and missed the monthly meeting of the Open Carry Ohio (ocohio.org) at the Golden Corral in Middletown.

You ought to drop by at one of the meetings, or at least drop them an e-mail.

Tell them BB62 told you about them!

I'd like to attend, but at this time it isn't possible. Our company is getting ready to move to another building, and my Jeep needs new shocks and struts. It doesn't like going over 50 mph. If I hit a bump at those speeds, the front wheels bounce so bad that it feels like the front end will fly apart!

I have a guy from OFCC that is going to do the work at his shop, but I need to save up the money first. Gas prices aren't helping!

Legba

imported post

Enjoyed the "Skull Fukd" demo on the link. I haven't seen a hard/loud act in ages. Let me/us know if you have any gigs upcoming. Try not to get a gig at a bar, so we can all pack. ;-/

-ljp