• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My notes from the MMM

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had this nearly complete, and the gods alone know what key combination I hit by accident.

Terry (I didn't get her last name, and their web site doesn't use full names) said: (I use the words "you can" as a direct quote here)
- You can carry in a city, county, or state park (she didn't want to hear about restrictions - this was the FIRST time she said words to the effect of "this is my meeting; shut up").
- You can not carry in a church, temple, synagogue, mosque, or the like
- You can carry on school grounds if your gun is in "a closed container" after school activities are finished
- Universities are not gun-free zones (She got one RIGHT); universities regulate firearms just like they regulate beer. (I have to wonder if she really meant it like that.)

Ricker said:

- He owns handguns and "assault weapons" (I wanted to ask what kind of assault weapons he owns, but he wasn't open to questions from me.)

LOGIC ALERT
There are 70 million gun-owning households in America. There are 200 million guns. At most, the NRA has 4 million members. THEREFORE, over 60% of Americans reject the NRA's philosophy.

VT (and I quote) "denied students the ability to bring guns to campus."

You can buy a long gun at 18. Therefore, an 18-year-old can go to a gun shop and buy an "assault weapon".

We can't ban all guns, because it would be impossible to go confiscate them all.

Even after asking "how many CHL holders are there in Virginia?" and being told 135-140,000, he repeatedly referred to "around 125,000" permit holders.

He claimed to have helped in reducing the number of gun dealers in America from 250,000 to 110,000.

Most of these gun stores are mom-and-pop stores that are barely making it, so if someone comes in and wants to buy five $600-guns, he'll sell them because he needs the money. Those of us who were there to intimidate the moms (oops, their web site says "mom's" - guess they're teaching their children the English language the way they're teaching manners.) go in to gun shops and make friends with the workers so they will look the other way when we want to do that.

Ricker acted incredulous when it was apparent we were concerned that a dealer who sold 12 Rugers at one time to a woman who then resold them to criminals should go to jail. (Note: I haven't yet researched that case he spoke of, and he didn't give us many details to go on.)

Ricker took responsibility for "briefing the Washington Post reporter on the law". (I guess any erroneous facts in the Post then belong to Ricker?)

40% of gun dealers at shows are "private" or unlicensed (Again, I have not yet done the research to verify/rebut. He did say "gun sellers" and not just "vendors".)

Then Terry said guns are sold by "unlicensed dealers". (No, dealers are licensed, though sellers need not be.)

MMM wants gun protection laws. (I want to be first in line; I want mine protected.)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure others will have other notes, comments, etc. I have research to do.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Did you ask if they understaood that VA's gun trnasfer laws are among the most restrictive in the country already?

Never got the chance. Every time one of us tried to ask a question, we were told it was her meeting and they were being nice people for even letting us be there. Yes, that was the statement - this is our meeting and we don't have to let you talk.

IanB

imported post

Now now Tess, don't be so nice about it...

"This is our meeting, we don't have to let you talk, you need to SHUT UP" was what the nice lady said.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The other big picture point is that VA carry laws are similar to the the laws of most states - we are in the middle, maybe even slipping a little.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
The other big picture point is that VA carry laws are similar to the the laws of most states - we are in the middle, maybe even slipping a little.

I hope I get the chance to make these points, politely and respectfully, at the next meeting. I will carry in my purse next time, since I was unsuccesful at convincing one woman I'm just as opposed to gun violence as she; I simply have a different method of reaching the goal.

VApatriot

imported post

:banghead:I totally forgot all about this! :banghead:I even drove bye there on my way home from class! :banghead:

How manypeople were there, andhow many wereVCDLersor other pro-gunners.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There were at least 10 gun owners, at least 7 carrying openly.

There were about five or six women obviously from the MMM movement - pink sweaters and all, and I'd guess about 15 others. I was not in the back of the room, though, and some came in after I sat down.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One priceless little slip-up was the former president saying something to the effect that they wanted better"gun con...protection." She near as whisker actually exposed their true plan by sayinggun control.

mlands

imported post

I was most appalled by the speaker's statement that we were there "to intimiate them" by carrying. Who needs a gun in a library? Well...who needs a gun at a college like Va Tech? I wish I could have spoke. I wish I could have made a point that a crazed nut will lose it at all kinds of places. Several decades ago a guy shot a bunch of victims at a McDonalds for not reason. Then there was the Mall shooting this past month and now Va Tech. What a piece of work that guy is.

72Malibu

imported post

Public meeting, but yet not OPEN to the public. They don't want to be open minded and hear both sides, so they want to censor anybody there who doesn't agree with their views.

Sounds to me like they're fearful that they will lose any discussion/debate with pro-gun people, so to maintain the illusion that they're views are the correct ones, they try to silence the opposition? Sounds to me like desperation and fascism to me.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

72Malibu wrote:
...Sounds to me like desperation and fascism to me.

Yep, and you guys are doing wonderful things by holding their feet to the fire, whether that means recording their lies, or just being present.

I congratulate you!

vrwmiller

imported post

Thanks, Tess, for your notes on the meeting. I am planning to attend the June 4 meeting. What sort of questions did you all have to field from some of these irrational mothers?

Initially, I was going to carry. However, I am more interested in hearing the anti-rights discussion and beliefs than drawing attention to my firearm and fielding irrational questions. Besides, I am certain several of my constituants will be carrying, so I am confident that it would be a safe environment.

LEO 229

imported post

I say... blend in and ask questions that appear to be valid... yet... draw an answer they would be unwilling to give you directly knowing who you are.

What does MMM stand for?Many Mad Moms? sorry Mom's...

DeadCenter

imported post

Mike wrote:
Mike -- Can you explain what you mean by this. Examples I mean. I know what slipping means. Just want to now what may be slipping in your opinion.

Wooley

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I say... blend in and ask questions that appear to be valid... yet... draw an answer they would be unwilling to give you directly knowing who you are.

What does MMM stand for?Many Mad Moms? sorry Mom's...

Many uh, hmm.....I can't find an "M" in dilapidated, ignorant, uneducated, sexually frustrated, self serving narrow-brained tool.

This $hite is:celebrate, b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Mike wrote:
Mike -- Can you explain what you mean by this. Examples I mean. I know what slipping means. Just want to now what may be slipping in your opinion.
Examples: VA is one of only about 10 states to ban concealed carry in restaurants. In 2004, we lost airport terminal carry (Thanks to Sen. Stolle's SB 660), and are now one of just a few states banning airport carry. VA is one of only 3 states to have One Handgun a Month rationing - SC repealed their's years ago. Though we did gain full preemption in 2004, VA has not had any significant pro-gun bills pass since then - Ohio and Kansas legilsatures are overturning vetos of preemption legislation - in VA in 2007, we can't even get some good bills out of the House (i.e., college carry, Alaska car carry), let alone the Senate (Stolle's Courts of Justice committee killed shall accept bill, and the bill to force Sheriffs to sign off on ATF forms 4).

DeadCenter

imported post

Mike wrote:
DeadCenter wrote:
Mike wrote:
Examples: VA is one of only about 10 states to ban concealed carry in restaurants. In 2004, we lost airport terminal carry (Thanks to Sen. Stolle's SB 660), and are now one of just a few states banning airport carry. VA is one of only 3 states to have One Handgun a Month rationing - SC repealed their's years ago. Though we did gain full preemption in 2004, VA has not had any significant pro-gun bills pass since then - Ohio and Kansas legilsatures are overturning vetos of preemption legislation - in VA in 2007, we can't even get some good bills out of the House (i.e., college carry, Alaska car carry), let alone the Senate (Stolle's Courts of Justice committee killed shall accept bill, and the bill to force Sheriffs to sign off on ATF forms 4).

I see your point -- Thank you

DC

jodonoghue

imported post

My name is Julie O'Donoghue and I would like to talk to you about this. Please give me a call back at 703-917-6433. I am a reporter with The Connection Newspapers.

Julie

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Info onMs.O'Donoghue'spaper.They publish all the local "Connection" papers as you can see on the left side of the following link.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/content.asp?contentid=23

They're owned by Timberlake Publishing:
http://www.timberlakepublishing.com/content.asp?contentid=92

Timberlake's"ABOUT US" page:
http://www.timberlakepublishing.com/content.asp?contentid=59

I haven't yet been able to find anything definitive if either of these organizations are liberal or conservative biased, but from what I've found, theyboth seems more outwardly conservative:

"Connections"maintains a page remembering9-11: http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/category.asp?paper=72&cat=203

Timberlake Publishing is the publisher of "Stars and Stripes" and here's a list of Timberlake's Charities:
http://www.timberlakepublishing.com/content.asp?contentid=103