• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor Kaine wants legislature to change guns laws

markand

imported post

Article in Washington Examiner states that Governor Kaine wants the legislature to change Virginia gun laws in response to VA Tech murders. Kaine is not specific about changes he would have legislature make, but states that he is "troubled" that the VA Tech killer was able to "stockpile" a "cache" of 377 rounds of ammo without police knowing about it.

Can't get the link to work, so here is the complete text of the article. Examiner's home page is here: http://www.examiner.com

Politics
Kaine wants lawmakers to change Va.’s gun laws

Richmond (Map, News) - Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine said Tuesday he is hopeful the General Assembly will overcome its affection for firearms and adopt changes to the commonwealth’s gun and ammunition laws in response to the April 16 murders at Virginia Tech.

Kaine would not discuss specific changes he would like to see or legislation he thinks would be palatable to the General Assembly. Though Northern Virginia legislators tend to support stricter gun-control bills, lawmakers from more rural and conservative regions routinely defeat such legislation.

A bill to ban guns in libraries, for example, was quickly killed in a House of Delegates committee this year.

Kaine already has issued an executive order requiring that law enforcement receive additional mental health information about individuals applying for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Beyond that, he said Tuesday, he will wait for recommendations from a panel investigating the massacre in which a gunman killed 32 students and faculty members before committing suicide.

“The recommendations should be ready in August, and that will give legislators plenty of time to look at the suggestions and talk to members of the commission,” the governor told reporters. “We don’t go back into legislative session until January, so there’s a lot of time to work on this. I think we can get something done.”

In general, Kaine said, he is troubled that Virginia law allows any individual to stockpile ammunition with no way for authorities to monitor the cache. Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech gunman, began his rampage with 377 rounds of ammunition, according to police. He also said college presidents and police chiefs have told him that allowing students and faculty to carry weapons on campus “would be a disaster.”

State law allows institutions of higher learning to decide whether to allow firearms on campus and inside buildings. A pro-gun student group has recently formed at George Mason University to advocate for a change in school policy and state law.

“We need the legislature to step in and tell the institutions of higher learning they have to allow law-abiding, licensed citizens to carry their weapons,” said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

The governor was in Manassas to attend a ceremony at the site of the new state crime laboratory.

jrogalsky@dcexaminer.com

DeadCenter

imported post

markand wrote:
Article in Washington Examiner states that Governor Kaine wants the legislature to change Virginia gun laws in response to VA Tech murders. Kaine is not specific about changes he would have legislature make, but states that he is "troubled" that the VA Tech killer was able to "stockpile" a "cache" of 377 rounds of ammo without police knowing about it.

Here is a link to the article:

VA Gov wants to change Gun Laws

Here it comes. How much longer for this Gov?

DC

DeadCenter

imported post

markand wrote:

Here is a link to the article:

VA Gov wants to change Gun Laws
Link does not work

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

STOCKPILE 377 rounds?

Wait till he hears that I just bought over 1200 rds of .30-06 MILSURP ammo from the US GOVT!! (CMP)

I have every right to purchase bulk surplus at bargain prices when I can and not be subject to the market demands every single time I want to go shooting.

Oh, but then this "tax free" CMP surplus ammo doesn't make any money for the state.....NOW I see what this is all about. TAX REVENUE!!!

What next, limit the number of PENS I can have in my home so I can't write any dissenting speeches against the government? See where this is going?

Trust me, I can do FAR more damage (or good) with my pen than with any firearm.

vrwmiller

imported post

The recommendations should be ready in August, and that will give legislators plenty of time to look at the suggestions and talk to members of the commission,” the governor told reporters. “We don’t go back into legislative session until January, so there’s a lot of time to work on this. I think we can get something done.
Who are the members of the commission that are investigating the incident? What are their backgrounds and political affiliations? I am wondering if this will foreshadow the recommendations that they will undoubtedly provide in August. Can we expect them to be favorable more to the anti-rights or pro-rights crowd?

In general, Kaine said, he is troubled that Virginia law allows any individual to stockpile ammunition with no way for authorities to monitor the cache. Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech gunman, began his rampage with 377 rounds of ammunition, according to police. He also said college presidents and police chiefs have told him that allowing students and faculty to carry weapons on campus “would be a disaster.”
Gov. Kaine makes me sick. 377 rounds is a "stockpile"?!? He wants governent to monitor this?

I sure hope he's not listening to these police chiefs and college presidents saying that having guns on campus would be a disaster. It's already been proven that not having them on campus is a disaster.

Of course, I am sure he is...*sigh*

LEO 229

imported post

Is that small amount really a stockpile?

What is the max amount that does not qualify as a stockpile? I have about 50 or 60 boxes of 9MM ammo @ 50 rounds per box. Plus .223 ammo. So I have a huge stockpile too and I should probably be monitored.

I guess they can follow me around to work and back home for a few weeks. Maybe they can knock on my door and ask me why I still have so much ammo. Will I need to file a document to advise I shot it all at the range? ;)

Maybe they will force me to go with them to the range and shoot it. Then I will have someone to shoot with. Cool!!

Meathook

imported post

Why do they come out with this stuff when the ammo supply is already low because of the war? This will just force people into stockpiling more ammo incase they come up with some law restricting your ability to buy it. Now the prices are going to go up yet again.

LEO 229

imported post

Meathook wrote:
Why do they come out with this stuff when the ammo supply is already low because of the war? This will just force people into stockpiling more ammo incase they come up with some law restricting your ability to buy it. Now the prices are going to go up yet again.

You have one obviously nutty and determined dude that wants to kill people. Due to the actions of one man... them entirestate of Virginia must suffer.

So they create a law limiting 1 box of ammo containing 50 rounds per month. I just need to wait 6 months, go buy it mail order or from out of state, or get two friends to buy a few boxes.

I can still get 300 rounds of ammo. Cho waited more than 30 days to get his second gun.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

But then I can drive to another state and have a friend buy me LOTS of ammo and bring it back to VA. (Straw purchase ammo???? WTF?) Purchase limits are not the same as ownership limits.

Oh sure,they can prevent thatby putting checkpoints at state borders and demand to see my papers and search my car. SOUND FAMILIAR???

Does everyone see the horrible failure that all this gun and ammo control is heading for?

Am I the only one that sees this as a slow and deliberate course that has been set?

LEO 229

imported post

Limiting ammo is so dumb.... We can all see that. There is always a way around it.

LEO 229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Yep, about as dumb as ballistic fingerprinting, case cataloging and microstamping firing pins.

Oh Man!! I forgot all about that! Micro stamping firing pins.. :lol:

Like you cannot just file down the stamp. Geez!!

LEO 229

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I do straw purchases all the time. You can get a pack of them for really cheap at IKEA, and in 3 different colors. The hot pink isn't my favorite though.

I think the Bureau of Anti Trash Force would be interested in hearing about that.....

Calling now....