• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uncle Mike's plastic thumb break

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]Does anyone else not like the plastic thumb break on the Uncle Mike's holsters (the one I'm using is the super belt slide or something)?
Not only did my holster not work for crossdraw as well as I was told it would, but I feel like the thumb break on it hurts draw speed (and my thumb after several draws).
Am I the only one who feels this way? Is there some easy way to fix it that I've just overlooked?
[/align]

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]As I've spent a little more time with it, it has become easier, and I can see why it's a workable thumb break...but it's still annoying that it doesn't have a good crossdraw angle. I sort of wish I would've just ponied up the extra few bucks for a Serpa (I would have, had I not wanted to try a crossdraw).
[/align]

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Drewesque wrote:
[align=left]As I've spent a little more time with it, it has become easier, and I can see why it's a workable thumb break...but it's still annoying that it doesn't have a good crossdraw angle. I sort of wish I would've just ponied up the extra few bucks for a Serpa (I would have, had I not wanted to try a crossdraw).
[/align]

Or - Galco
Or you could contact Tucker Leather and have them make you a nice custom holster that would address both carry options. Both companies can provide holster with retention systems that do not involve thumb breaks.

Regards

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]Yeah, it's not so much whether there's a thumb break (though I prefer other retention systems) as a general dislike for this particular thumb break.
Thanks for the advice, though.
[/align]

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, the thumb break hurts my thumb, too...but you don't notice it if you're adrenaline is up (I've used it for competition shooting). I've actually comfortably carried with that holster in crossdraw, butI agree that it's not at the best angle. I carry it there when retention is more important than draw-speed (i.e. camping, fishing, dense crowds) or when I'll be sitting a lot. Basically it's my "utility" holster.

I have also used, and know other guys that use that holster w/o the strap all together. This works for competition, but I wouldn't trust it normally. It does keep hold of the weapon relatively well, but I doubt she'd stay put if I found myself upside down or being thrown about.

I say don't throw the holster in your closet and forget about it. It IS a good holster for some applications.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Drewesque wrote:
[align=left]Yeah, it's not so much whether there's a thumb break (though I prefer other retention systems) as a general dislike for this particular thumb break.
Thanks for the advice, though.
[/align]

Although I use a holster with only tension to keep the firearm in, I have used thumb breaks, I like them, but feel they are better suited for cross draw and concealed rigs.

Drewesque

imported post

openryan wrote:
Although I use a holster with only tension to keep the firearm in, I have used thumb breaks, I like them, but feel they are better suited for cross draw and concealed rigs.
Personally, I feel even less need for anything more than tension retention in crossdraw and concealed holsters, but to each his own.

tattedupboy

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
[align=left]Does anyone else not like the plastic thumb break on the Uncle Mike's holsters (the one I'm using is the super belt slide or something)?
Not only did my holster not work for crossdraw as well as I was told it would, but I feel like the thumb break on it hurts draw speed (and my thumb after several draws).
Am I the only one who feels this way? Is there some easy way to fix it that I've just overlooked?
[/align]

Three simple words. Practice, practice, practice. I work as a security officer and the Uncle Mike's with plastic thumb break is my duty holster. I don't use the crossdraw, but the conventional strong side draw. This holster, whether use draw strongside or crossdraw, requires practice in order to be able to draw from it comfortably. Also, constant repetition from your preferred position builds muscle memory, which is always good in the event you actually ever have to draw your weapon.

Drewesque

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Drewesque wrote:
[/align]

Three simple words. Practice, practice, practice. I work as a security officer and the Uncle Mike's with plastic thumb break is my duty holster. I don't use the crossdraw, but the conventional strong side draw. This holster, whether use draw strongside or crossdraw, requires practice in order to be able to draw from it comfortably. Also, constant repetition from your preferred position builds muscle memory, which is always good in the event you actually ever have to draw your weapon.
While I completely agree that practice is necessary with any holster, I do have the option of buying a different holster, since mine is for personal use. I choose my equipment to suit me, then I practice until I'm good with it, rather than attempting to get good with holsters I dislike. I already own other holsters I prefer, so it's not a big deal.