Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: This really annoys me.....

  1. #1
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    .....mostly because some people will use it as ammo to claim "All gun owners are crazy!!11! We should disarm everyone so this won't happen again!"

    Here's the link to the story:

    http://www.komotv.com/news/local/7657147.html

    Now yes, the weapon was a rifle (loaded in a car I might add ), but it still affects anyone who cares about the 2A......

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    98105, Washington, USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I agree 100%, it's not a positive addition to the struggle.

    FYI: It was actually a 22LR Revolver. Fox Q13 showed the actual revolver on scene. It had a pretty long barrel and appeared to be older than me. I was skeptical of it's ability to even function properly, but I suppose it is a revolver, not much to fail.

    p.s. Sorry to hear about your negative OC incident the other day... it could have been worse I suppose.



  3. #3
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    .....mostly because some people will use it as ammo to claim "All gun owners are crazy!!11! We should disarm everyone so this won't happen again!"
    Worse is that the event supports the far more reasonable notion that "the more people carry guns, the more likely we will have road rage incidents where some goof with a gun will introduce said gun into a conflict situation. So let's make it more difficult to do anything involving guns."

    Based on the story, the gun guy will probably lose any gun rights he has. Good riddance.







  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    While obviously not a good message about guns, it is suprising to see howrelatively smallof a mention the brandishing of a firearm actually received in the write-up. I did not get a chance to see the news story last night so I don't know how much attention itgot there.However I did see them display the weapon during a commercial for the news while -ahem- MY WIFE was watching American Idol.

    Those who know I carry all the time state things such as "Man, I couldn't do it, 'cause I get road rage bad.", or "I've got a short temper and I don't need to tempt fate." I reply by saying that since I've started carrying I am exponentially less likely to do anything stupid now because I know that I am going to be the one that they will look at first in any incident, regardless of circumstance, because I am carrying. Any other road rage converts or short-temperstoppers out there?







  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    TRAKATAK wrote:
    Those who know I carry all the time state things such as "Man, I couldn't do it, 'cause I get road rage bad.", or "I've got a short temper and I don't need to tempt fate." I reply by saying that since I've started carrying I am exponentially less likely to do anything stupid now because I know that I am going to be the one that they will look at first in any incident, regardless of circumstance, because I am carrying. Any other road rage converts or short-temperstoppers out there?
    I've had a few road rage situations throughout the years--but none after I started carrying. The more I read about those situations where a goof with a gun whips it out to do some dman thing with it in a traffic conflict situation, the more it increases my resolve to never be involved in a road rage event with a gun. If I'm carrying andsome crazy driver does something, well, crazy, I'll whip out the cell phone not a gun.

    Road ragerswith guns are fools. And every one of them impinges on my 2A rights a little bit. Screw 'em.

  6. #6
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    You know, I DO get road rage, but it never leaves the car....I yell and cuss with my windows up about how stupid people are, but it would NEVER come down to pulling my sidearm unless someone else was going to harm me or my wife....never out of anger....

    And thanks for the support, mainsail got it much worse than I though....

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    TRAKATAK wrote:
    While obviously not a good message about guns, it is suprising to see howrelatively smallof a mention the brandishing of a firearm actually received in the write-up. I did not get a chance to see the news story last night so I don't know how much attention itgot there.However I did see them display the weapon during a commercial for the news while -ahem- MY WIFE was watching American Idol.

    Those who know I carry all the time state things such as "Man, I couldn't do it, 'cause I get road rage bad.", or "I've got a short temper and I don't need to tempt fate." I reply by saying that since I've started carrying I am exponentially less likely to do anything stupid now because I know that I am going to be the one that they will look at first in any incident, regardless of circumstance, because I am carrying. Any other road rage converts or short-temperstoppers out there?





    Rgr that. Sometimes I have to control my wife's temper and remind her that I am carrying.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    My primary road rage lesson came from a visit to Sicily. During a crew rest in Catania we were in the crew bus heading in from the hotel when we approached this weird five-way intersection. It was a little confusing, and another driver tried to turn up a one way street, had to stop, and jammed the entire intersection. Our Italian bus driver shouted a few choice words that I didn’t understand. The driver, realizing what he did, looked over and sheepishly shrugged his shoulders. That’s when it happened. Our bus driver’s mood suddenly changed, and he smiled and waved. I suppose it was because he figured that sooner or later everyone is going to do something boneheaded like that.



    That greatly influenced the attitude I have now. Yes, it’s frustrating at times when someone makes me seven or eight seconds later than I already am, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s really no big deal. After all, I’m sitting in a freaking recliner with heat and air conditioning at my disposal!



    Another incident happened on Tacoma Mall Blvd and was the reason I pursued my CPL. My friend Hormone Dave Williams and I were driving south where there’s a bunch of lanes- the far left goes to I5N, the next one left goes to I5S, the next continues on the Blvd, and the far right turns to UP. Anyway, apparently some Mr Competitive guy didn’t let another guy change lanes (it’s a madhouse there at times because each lane has a single purpose) so the driver that felt dissed was outside his car, standing at the driver’s side door of the other guy, and screaming violently at him and banging on his window. The light changed and Mr Competitive rolled up but had to stop because the light went red again, and the angry guy got back into his car, rolled up along side Mr C, and then got out and went back to his previous position outside his door screaming at him. It was frightening how violently angry this guy was!



    Most of the road rage is due to some weird sort of competitiveness that many drivers feel. They don’t let you get on the freeway, like you’re supposed to drive into the weeds because they don’t want to be behind you. Once I decided I wasn’t going to drive like that, any rage I felt towards the stupidity of another driver went away. Although, now that I’m driving the ex-copcar crown vic, I really don’t get many angry responses from other drivers anymore.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    ...law abiding citizens' Constitution given rights ...
    Point, the constitution does not 'give' rights, it merely affirms them.

  10. #10
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    And even the cops can't be trusted with their own sidearms.....would YOU leave your pistol in a restaurant? I know I wouldn't.......

    http://www.komotv.com/news/local/7660877.html

    What is up with stupid people this week?

  11. #11
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    Rights are a birth right, inalienable, from your creator, your god, God, or endowed by being human, take your pick, etc...Rights are only recognized and protected by our government which receive their power through our consent to be governed. Government can't give rights because it doesn't have any. It only has the authority and powers we give to it.

  12. #12
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    My only incident of true road rage I actually reached for my weapon, that i had hidden in my center console, and it just so happened to be a .22 lr, I however did not brandish it nor did anyone else know that I was holding it, I simply took it out and set it in my lap. The other driver had made very obscene gestures at me for over 3/4 of a mile and I was in a very, very bad neighbor hood, I did not want him getting out of his car to threaten me at the next stop light.

    However I did not instigate this road rage incident, nor did I have any part of it, I kept my cool the entire time, it was his actions I was worried about, not my own.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    JoeRocket,same with my wife here.

    Since this thread is about road rage and the like, even though we obviously may not have a problem amongst ourselves with road rage, I would like to recommend something for everyone to try and then tell others of the experience and pass it on.

    Instead of pressing time to get somewhere, or trying to get there with a purpose, get in the right hand lane and set your cruise control for the exact speed limit or 1 or 2 mph less than the speed limit. All of a sudden almost all the stress of driving is gone. You just let everyone else, and the world,pass you by. It was by far the most liberating thing I had done in quite some time.Give it a try. It feels great....no kidding. And remember to tell others how good it feels to drive like a grandma. (If any grandmas are on this board, no disrespect was meant)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    TRAKATAK wrote:
    JoeRocket,same with my wife here.

    Since this thread is about road rage and the like, even though we obviously may not have a problem amongst ourselves with road rage, I would like to recommend something for everyone to try and then tell others of the experience and pass it on.

    Instead of pressing time to get somewhere, or trying to get there with a purpose, get in the right hand lane and set your cruise control for the exact speed limit or 1 or 2 mph less than the speed limit. All of a sudden almost all the stress of driving is gone. You just let everyone else, and the world,pass you by. It was by far the most liberating thing I had done in quite some time.Give it a try. It feels great....no kidding. And remember to tell others how good it feels to drive like a grandma. (If any grandmas are on this board, no disrespect was meant)
    Rgr that. A friend of mine has a 21 YO son that has a saying. "I drive like I'm 50 because I want to reach 50."

    I have done that exact thing as you TRAK a number of times. It is very relaxing to me also.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    entitlement = roadrage

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    218

    Post imported post

    I've never understood why 1. people are in such a hurry 2. why they get angry on the road. I'm the most calm when I'm driving. It's relaxing. I plan ahead, take my time, and laugh at agressive drivers because 99% of the time, they don't get there any faster. Plus it wears out your vehicle. Driving is like life, man. Chill out and enjoy the ride.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    It's interesting how those of us who drive safely (read "the speed limit and courteously") often are the tragets of the "road-ragers." I agree with a previous poster who mention "waving a cellphone." I have used this tactic myself and find that the meaning of your intention is readily grasped by "Mr. (or Mrs.) Angry Behind the Wheel." Of course this doesn't work when I'm riding my motorcycle...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •