Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Visting VA and Wish To Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    I will be visiting Reston, VA soon and I have recently discovered to my delight that I can open carry in this state. Some questions I have:

    1. Can a non-resident indeed open carry.

    2. I have a CHL from Texas (VA has reciprocity with TX), do I need to show this is if stopped by police while open carrying?

    3. Where can't I open carry? Courthouses, airports, state parks, schools (private/public)?

    4. Anyone else open carry in Reston? Tell me your experiences when doing it, i.e. appalled people, police, etc.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    AR15Texan wrote:
    I will be visiting Reston, VA soon and I have recently discovered to my delight that I can open carry in this state. Some questions I have:

    1. Can a non-resident indeed open carry.

    2. I have a CHL from Texas (VA has reciprocity with TX), do I need to show this is if stopped by police while open carrying?

    3. Where can't I open carry? Courthouses, airports, state parks, schools (private/public)?

    4. Anyone else open carry in Reston? Tell me your experiences when doing it, i.e. appalled people, police, etc.

    Thanks
    Welcome...

    Anyone in VA can OC...

    Your permit is only needed if you CC and you MUST show it to LEO when asked. Fairfax County Police area aware that you can OC.

    Here are some code section to read up on. You cannot carry into a court house.

    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    § 18.2-287.01. Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

    § 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

    § 29.1-527. Counties, cities or towns may prohibit hunting near public schools and county, city, town or regional parks.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    AR15Texan wrote:
    I will be visiting Reston, VA soon and I have recently discovered to my delight that I can open carry in this state. Some questions I have:

    1. Can a non-resident indeed open carry.

    2. I have a CHL from Texas (VA has reciprocity with TX), do I need to show this is if stopped by police while open carrying?

    3. Where can't I open carry? Courthouses, airports, state parks, schools (private/public)?

    4. Anyone else open carry in Reston? Tell me your experiences when doing it, i.e. appalled people, police, etc.

    Thanks
    Let me recommend this document to you. One of our OCDO members recently compiled it. Remember, it is NOT law, but it is a good source of where to find the laws.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Enjoy your visit to the Old Dominion, carry as much as you want, and make sure you join TXCDL if you aren't already a member.



  5. #5
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Virginia gun laws /w code citations:

    http://vaguninfo.com/

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Excellent page...

  7. #7
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    Anyone in VA can OC...
    Anyone?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    Anyone in VA can OC...
    Anyone?
    Generally... Anyone, while in the state of Virginia, legally allowed to possess a firearmmay do so openly. However... there are some conditions where this is not permitted... such as assault rifles.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Anyone in VA can OC...
    Anyone?
    Generally... Anyone, while in the state of Virginia, legally allowed to possess a firearmmay do so openly. However... there are some conditions where this is not permitted... such as assault rifles.
    Damn, we've got to do something about closing that "assault rifle" loophole !



  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Damn, we've got to do something about closing that "assault rifle" loophole !

    I guess I cannot carry my MP5 around and show it off.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Damn, we've got to do something about closing that "assault rifle" loophole !

    I guess I cannot carry my MP5 around and show it off.
    You got it?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    cs9c1 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Damn, we've got to do something about closing that "assault rifle" loophole !

    I guess I cannot carry my MP5 around and show it off.
    You got it?
    I own it... submitted the paperwork to ATF.. nowI wait about 30 days to get my tax stamp. Then I can take my baby home.

    I have held it and discovered it is flawless and only been test fired. I actually got a great deal as far as price goes.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    I own it... submitted the paperwork to ATF.. nowI wait about 30 days to get my tax stamp. Then I can take my baby home.

    I have held it and discovered it is flawless and only been test fired. I actually got a great deal as far as price goes.
    Sounds great if you get it time I'll meet you at the NRA range to try it out.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    AR15Texan wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    I own it... submitted the paperwork to ATF.. nowI wait about 30 days to get my tax stamp. Then I can take my baby home.

    I have held it and discovered it is flawless and only been test fired. I actually got a great deal as far as price goes.
    Sounds great if you get it time I'll meet you at the NRA range to try it out.
    What's your pleasure.. 3 round burst... or full auto!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    What's your pleasure.. 3 round burst... or full auto!!
    Oh man, you are making me sick with jealousy!!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    428

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Anyone in VA can OC...
    Anyone?
    Generally... Anyone, while in the state of Virginia, legally allowed to possess a firearmmay do so openly. However... there are some conditions where this is not permitted... such as assault rifles.
    If you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from the "assault rifle" provision.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    glocknroll wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Anyone in VA can OC...
    Anyone?
    Generally... Anyone, while in the state of Virginia, legally allowed to possess a firearmmay do so openly. However... there are some conditions where this is not permitted... such as assault rifles.
    If you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from the "assault rifle" provision.
    See bolded section. It appears your exempt. And so am I! I do get to carry mine!

    § 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public (i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government.

    The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    cs9c1 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    What's your pleasure.. 3 round burst... or full auto!!
    Oh man, you are making me sick with jealousy!!!
    I will let you come and touch it.. just don't tell Citizen.... He gets jealous!!

    I have the best wife since she let me buy it!!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    428

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    cs9c1 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    What's your pleasure.. 3 round burst... or full auto!!
    Oh man, you are making me sick with jealousy!!!
    I will let you come and touch it.. just don't tell Citizen.... He gets jealous!!

    I have the best wife since she let me buy it!!
    Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    glocknroll wrote:
    Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)
    MP5-N Navy trigger group.

    This is the actual photo of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    428

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    glocknroll wrote:
    Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)
    MP5-N Navy trigger group.

    This is the actual photo of mine.
    Sweet.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    glocknroll wrote:
    Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)
    MP5-N Navy trigger group.

    This is the actual photo of mine.
    You got a deal LEO229 you carry the MP5 and I'll carry this... and we'll see how far we get down the street
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    AR15Texan wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    glocknroll wrote:
    Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)
    MP5-N Navy trigger group.

    This is the actual photo of mine.
    You got a deal LEO229 you carry the MP5 and I'll carry this... and we'll see how far we get down the street
    I bet it will not be far..

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    LEO229 are you up for some range time at NRA Headquarter's Range the day after Christmas 12/26?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    glocknroll wrote:
    Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)
    MP5-N Navy trigger group.

    This is the actual photo of mine.


    I'm happy for you, sad for me.



    Awesome tool, I only wish I could afford one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •