• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visting VA and Wish To Open Carry

AR15Texan

imported post

I will be visiting Reston, VA soon and I have recently discovered to my delight that I can open carry in this state. Some questions I have:

1. Can a non-resident indeed open carry.

2. I have a CHL from Texas (VA has reciprocity with TX), do I need to show this is if stopped by police while open carrying?

3. Where can't I open carry? Courthouses, airports, state parks, schools (private/public)?

4. Anyone else open carry in Reston? Tell me your experiences when doing it, i.e. appalled people, police, etc.

Thanks

LEO 229

imported post

AR15Texan wrote:
I will be visiting Reston, VA soon and I have recently discovered to my delight that I can open carry in this state. Some questions I have:

2. I have a CHL from Texas (VA has reciprocity with TX), do I need to show this is if stopped by police while open carrying?

3. Where can't I open carry? Courthouses, airports, state parks, schools (private/public)?

4. Anyone else open carry in Reston? Tell me your experiences when doing it, i.e. appalled people, police, etc.

Thanks

Welcome...

Anyone in VA can OC...

Your permit is only needed if you CC and you MUST show it to LEO when asked. Fairfax County Police area aware that you can OC.

Here are some code section to read up on. You cannot carry into a court house.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

§ 18.2-287.01. Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

§ 29.1-527. Counties, cities or towns may prohibit hunting near public schools and county, city, town or regional parks.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AR15Texan wrote:

Thanks
Let me recommend this document to you. One of our OCDO members recently compiled it. Remember, it is NOT law, but it is a good source of where to find the laws.

Attachments

• VirginiaGunRights.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 204

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Enjoy your visit to the Old Dominion, carry as much as you want, and make sure you join TXCDL if you aren't already a member.

LEO 229

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Anyone in VA can OC...
Anyone?
Generally... Anyone, while in the state of Virginia, legally allowed to possess a firearmmay do so openly. However... there are some conditions where this is not permitted... such as assault rifles.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Anyone in VA can OC...
Anyone?
Generally... Anyone, while in the state of Virginia, legally allowed to possess a firearmmay do so openly. However... there are some conditions where this is not permitted... such as assault rifles.

Damn, we've got to do something about closing that "assault rifle" loophole ! ;)

LEO 229

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Damn, we've got to do something about closing that "assault rifle" loophole ! ;)
I guess I cannot carry my MP5 around and show it off.

LEO 229

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
I guess I cannot carry my MP5 around and show it off.
You got it?

I own it... submitted the paperwork to ATF.. nowI wait about 30 days to get my tax stamp. Then I can take my baby home.

I have held it and discovered it is flawless and only been test fired. I actually got a great deal as far as price goes.

AR15Texan

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I own it... submitted the paperwork to ATF.. nowI wait about 30 days to get my tax stamp. Then I can take my baby home.

I have held it and discovered it is flawless and only been test fired. I actually got a great deal as far as price goes.
Sounds great if you get it time I'll meet you at the NRA range to try it out.

LEO 229

imported post

AR15Texan wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Sounds great if you get it time I'll meet you at the NRA range to try it out.
What's your pleasure.. 3 round burst... or full auto!!

glocknroll

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Anyone in VA can OC...
Anyone?
If you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from the "assault rifle" provision.

LEO 229

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Anyone in VA can OC...
Anyone?
If you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from the "assault rifle" provision.
See bolded section. It appears your exempt. And so am I! I do get to carry mine!

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public (i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

LEO 229

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Oh man, you are making me sick with jealousy!!!
I will let you come and touch it.. just don't tell Citizen.... He gets jealous!!

I have the best wife since she let me buy it!!

glocknroll

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
cs9c1 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Oh man, you are making me sick with jealousy!!!
I will let you come and touch it.. just don't tell Citizen.... He gets jealous!!

I have the best wife since she let me buy it!!
Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)

LEO 229

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
Which model MP5? Lucky Ba***** (no offense)

MP5-N Navy trigger group.

This is the actual photo of mine.

Attachments

• MP5.jpg
    MP5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 243