• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry for non-residents?

Pyrodox

imported post

Hello,

I found this site via a thread on AR15.com. I was poking around and reading some information, I tried to search the forum but couldn't find the answer, so forgive me if this was answered already.

I live in NJ, and my friends and I travel over into PA from time to time to visit gun shows and sometimes visit some resturants and other businesses while in PA. I was wondering if anyone knows if open carry would be legal for NJ residents while they are in PA?

Thanks for your time.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pyrodox wrote:
Hello,

I found this site via a thread on AR15.com. I was poking around and reading some information, I tried to search the forum but couldn't find the answer, so forgive me if this was answered already.

I live in NJ, and my friends and I travel over into PA from time to time to visit gun shows and sometimes visit some resturants and other businesses while in PA. I was wondering if anyone knows if open carry would be legal for NJ residents while they are in PA?

Thanks for your time.
Welcome to OCDO! You can OC in PA, but to OC in your car, OC in Philly or CC anywhere in PA you would need to have a NJ conceal permit. PA recognizes the permits of all 50 states.

Pyrodox

imported post

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I know about PA's CC laws, actually I'm in the process of getting a FL non-resident permit, as here in the People's Republic of NJ I am a mere peasent, and not afforded the luxuries of a NJ CC permit.

And thanks for the welcome, seems like a good group on this site/forum.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Yes; Although, a LTCF is required to OC in Philadelphia and in/on motor vehicles of any type. Always check for yourself for places and locations that may be off limits.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pyrodox wrote:

Yeah, I know about PA's CC laws, actually I'm in the process of getting a FL non-resident permit, as here in the People's Republic of NJ I am a mere peasent, and not afforded the luxuries of a NJ CC permit.

We're a good bunch here. I'm a DPRNJ refugee myself. Born in Newark, hung out in NYCfor a while as a teen, the joined the Navy and did my 20. My family still lives in Jersey and I just visited Mom for mother's day.

Pyrodox

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Pyrodox wrote:

We're a good bunch here. I'm a DPRNJ refugee myself. Born in Newark, hung out in NYCfor a while as a teen, the joined the Navy and did my 20. My family still lives in Jersey and I just visited Mom for mother's day.
Lucky you got out, hehe (of NJ, that is.) And thanks for your service. I was Army, unfortunately I ended up being medicaly discharged under a year in, can't go back now because of my lungs.

I hope to get out of NJ once I get everything straightened out from that whole episode (I figured I'd be in the Army, married by now... But my ex-fiance had different plans, maxed all my credit cards, stole my money and wrecked my car, while cheating on me, then left, then I got sick and discharged. Nice of her, huh? =P)

I like the premise of this site, and admittedly I'm new to the idea of open-carry myself... I had known it existed, but figured it was so "taboo" that no one did it anymore. And a lot of horror stories I heard about open carry, in recent light, seem to be just fabrications, and "what ifs" from people I suppose were similarly ill-informed on the subject.

Now, though, I think I and my friends might start to open carry where it is legal. I believe that if we don't exercise our rights, to the point where they are considered antiquated or un-needed, that makes it that much easier to have them taken away with the stroke of a pen.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Welcome to OCDO! You can OC in PA, but to OC in your car, OC in Philly or CC anywhere in PA you would need to have a NJ conceal permit. PA recognizes the permits of all 50 states.
For car carry, licenses from any of the 50 states is recognized, no matter your resident or non-resident status of PA, or being licensed from another state. Pennsylvania does not have a distinction in it's statute.

-Lonnie

WV XD Guy

imported post

I haven't heard that PA will recognize any other states concealed carry permit. Does anyone have any links to show this?? Just curious because i was about to get an out of state permit there.