Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meetup Memorial Day Weekend?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I find myself free this weekend after expecting to work. Anybody want to go shooting or have a meetup?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

My wife's working Monday and we have nothing planned all weekend. I'd like to go shooting and have a meetup. Pistol? Rifle? I'll bring the Garand and 03's if we can find somewhere to shoot them!

Post imported post

I've never fired a garand... but would gladly bring an extra box of ammo if I could! Free all weekend as well.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

NRA would be the best bet for rifles but I wish I knew of a good outdoor range. I also thought about checking out Rolling Thunder on Sunday, not carrying of course.
    http://www.rollingthunder1.com/

Post imported post

I'm smelling it !!!

Sunday maybe, choose you firearm,, AR, SKS, AK and my all time favorite 1911

Post imported post

Sunday I will be in the PR of MD.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Hopefully Sunday is the day, because tomorrow's too soon, and Monday's pool day for a lot of people.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

What outdoor ranges are there in the area (non-member) btw?
    -Unrequited

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    My wife's working Monday and we have nothing planned all weekend. I'd like to go shooting and have a meetup. Pistol? Rifle? I'll bring the Garand and 03's if we can find somewhere to shoot them!
    Maybe I could get Dave to clean the rifles?? I don't think they've been fired in over 10 years. I know I haven't fired them.

I'm up for it. Dave's bike is in the shop, so we can't celebrate his birthday (tomorrow) with a ride.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    BobCav wrote:
    Maybe I could get Dave to clean the rifles?? I don't think they've been fired in over 10 years. I know I haven't fired them.

I'm up for it. Dave's bike is in the shop, so we can't celebrate his birthday (tomorrow) with a ride.
    Cool, Whatcha got Tess?

The only outdoor public range I know of is C.F. Phelps in Sumerduck and I've never been there.

unrequited, I have to use my CMP surplus ammo in the garand due to the gas curve and I have 1000+ rounds. Plenty to bruise DOZENS of shoulders!

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Cool, Whatcha got Tess?

The only outdoor public range I know of is C.F. Phelps in Sumerduck and I've never been there.

unrequited, I have to use my CMP surplus ammo in the garand due to the gas curve and I have 1000+ rounds. Plenty to bruise DOZENS of shoulders!
    Do I get kicked out for admitting I don't know? They're rifles. I think he has a shotgun too, but when I open the safe I see four rifles, at least one of which is a .22 Not like that even counts, 'lessn you're shootin' the critters in the garden.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I find myself free this weekend after expecting to work. Anybody want to go shooting or have a meetup?
    How about shooting AND a meetup?

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    I'd already thought of that. Unfortunately, it's only open September through March http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=17 Rifles, muzzle loading rifles & shotguns only.

There's a public range in Front Royal, but I called 5 minutes too late to talk to anyone, and they're not there to answer the phones on weekends... They've only got 50yds too...

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

There's a private range off VA-610 in North Stafford/Garrisonville that a OCDO'er is a member. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2000-3.html

I'm interested pending approval from the wife. I still haven't fired my BGG-I AR-15.

---

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I'm probably going shooting tomorrow. I go to an outdoor range that's 100 yard handgun/rifle, shotgun with trap and skeet, a stocked fishing pond, and archery. One of the best kept little secrets in Fairfax. I've been a member since 1994.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

BobCav-

As a retired Navy guy, you can arrange to sign out a range at Quantico Marine base.

At least you could before Sept 11, 2001. I presume this is still available to folks.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hwakflyer, that is news to me but I'm looking into it right now! Thanks for the info!

Post imported post

Having a range for the group would be pretty cool.

Post imported post

Well I'll keep checking back tomorrow, but if you're doing a headcount for anything, I'm down if it's <1hr drive from Alexandria anytime Sunday. I'll be out most of the day tomorrow (Sat.) because it's the first day the pool's open at my apartment, and my ladyfriend wants to go swimming. > )
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

One of our fellow VCDL members is an RO down @ Quantico.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    I'm probably going shooting tomorrow. I go to an outdoor range that's 100 yard handgun/rifle, shotgun with trap and skeet, a stocked fishing pond, and archery. One of the best kept little secrets in Fairfax. I've been a member since 1994.

I used to be a member at IWL too.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

You mean here? http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/ ? First time I was there was in the early '80s.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

It looked like they were gearing up for a 1000 meter rifle shoot this weekend on the main range. But there are additional ranges off the main road.

Sorry BobCav, but those new rifles are not set up for qualification to shoot the 1000 meter competitions. I used to shoot in those and they let me in the 14 lbs and under class, with a 1903, "T" barrel, with a 14x scope. It was about the minimum they would let someone shoot.

A lot of those guys shoot 20-60 lb single shot rifles.

Ammo for the day $22.50, gas for the car and lunch $8.64, coming in 5th in class with five rounds in a 7x3 inch group at 1000 meters, PRICELESS.

"Reach out and touch someone" - Every Marine Sniper who ever lived

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hite hollow is an option but far.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/dryriver...e_hollow.shtml

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    It looked like they were gearing up for a 1000 meter rifle shoot this weekend on the main range. But there are additional ranges off the main road.

Sorry BobCav, but those new rifles are not set up for qualification to shoot the 1000 meter competitions. I used to shoot in those and they let me in the 14 lbs and under class, with a 1903, "T" barrel, with a 14x scope. It was about the minimum they would let someone shoot.

A lot of those guys shoot 20-60 lb single shot rifles.

Ammo for the day $22.50, gas for the car and lunch $8.64, coming in 5th in class with five rounds in a 7x3 inch group at 1000 meters, PRICELESS.

"Reach out and touch someone" - Every Marine Sniper who ever lived

Regards
    Hawk,that IS priceless!Nope, my stock CMP babies have only been in "life and death"competitions so far. The ME on the Garand is prob too much for any competition without recrowning. The 03's would be great as they have excellent ME and the bores look great. No scopes though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast