• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meetup Memorial Day Weekend?

Bulldog1967

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I'm probably going shooting tomorrow. I go to an outdoor range that's 100 yard handgun/rifle, shotgun with trap and skeet, a stocked fishing pond, and archery. One of the best kept little secrets in Fairfax. I've been a member since 1994.

I used to be a member at IWL too. :D

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I'm probably going shooting tomorrow. I go to an outdoor range that's 100 yard handgun/rifle, shotgun with trap and skeet, a stocked fishing pond, and archery. One of the best kept little secrets in Fairfax. I've been a member since 1994.

You mean here? http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/ ? First time I was there was in the early '80s.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It looked like they were gearing up for a 1000 meter rifle shoot this weekend on the main range. But there are additional ranges off the main road.

Sorry BobCav, but those new rifles are not set up for qualification to shoot the 1000 meter competitions. I used to shoot in those and they let me in the 14 lbs and under class, with a 1903, "T" barrel, with a 14x scope. It was about the minimum they would let someone shoot.

A lot of those guys shoot 20-60 lb single shot rifles.

Ammo for the day $22.50, gas for the car and lunch $8.64, coming in 5th in class with five rounds in a 7x3 inch group at 1000 meters, PRICELESS.

"Reach out and touch someone" - Every Marine Sniper who ever lived

Regards

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
It looked like they were gearing up for a 1000 meter rifle shoot this weekend on the main range. But there are additional ranges off the main road.

Sorry BobCav, but those new rifles are not set up for qualification to shoot the 1000 meter competitions. I used to shoot in those and they let me in the 14 lbs and under class, with a 1903, "T" barrel, with a 14x scope. It was about the minimum they would let someone shoot.

Ammo for the day $22.50, gas for the car and lunch $8.64, coming in 5th in class with five rounds in a 7x3 inch group at 1000 meters, PRICELESS.

Regards

Hawk,that IS priceless!Nope, my stock CMP babies have only been in "life and death"competitions so far. The ME on the Garand is prob too much for any competition without recrowning. The 03's would be great as they have excellent ME and the bores look great. No scopes though.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The 03 is a good platform to build a major rifle off of. Mauser, same thing.

2687.gif

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, I got really lucky with two excellent ones from CMP, an 03 and A3 both in great shape. Barrels weren't all nasty from some VFW shooting blanks forever.

I applied for my C&R, so I'm gonna be growing my collection shortly and I see a nice Enfield, an 03 match rifle, an 8mm Mauser, SKS,Mosin-Nagants: T-35, T-44, and a ChineseT-53 Mosin-Nagant (for $35 here: http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/catalog.htm)anda few others in the future!

This is gonna be on expensive (but fun) habit! 1000 meters, huh? WAY past the 2750 on the sight of my '03! lol...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have a Schmidt Rubin K31, M14SA, M48 mauser I need to shoot among others. I hope we can get something locked down.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nice collection!!

Well, tomorrow is bad, as me and the wife have plans, but we need to set something up for Sunday. Hell, even if we go to the NRA range and come to my place for a BBQ and beer, that's fine with me!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Yeah, I got really lucky with two excellent ones from CMP, an 03 and A3 both in great shape.  Barrels weren't all nasty from some VFW shooting blanks forever.

I applied for my C&R, so I'm gonna be growing my collection shortly and I see a nice Enfield, an 03 match rifle, an 8mm Mauser, SKS, Mosin-Nagants: T-35, T-44, and a Chinese T-53 Mosin-Nagant (for $35 here: http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/catalog.htm) and a few others in the future!

This is gonna be on expensive (but fun) habit!  1000 meters, huh?  WAY past the 2750 on the sight of my '03! lol...

During those matches, if you are shooting you are working the target pit. From there you can hear the bullets going overhead. Based on that alone I will never understand why everyone went with .308. To shoot well at 1000 meters you really have to put some wings under the bullet. The .30-06 has got what it takes. The .308 will get there but it doesn't have much left at that range. The .30-06 hits the dirt with a decidedly more impressive "Slap". Of course the dirt is another 30 meters behind where you are standing.

The real impressive thing is that the midrange trajectory is about 50 feet. It is really amazing that a rifle can be built to deal with all the variables and still hit a pie plate at 1000 meters. With my 14x scope there are 3 targets in the field of view, and the dot covers the entire bullseye and then some.

Regards

EDIT Did someone say BAR-B-Q?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've got a Swedish Mauser that's getting lonely, and a Ruger .270 Winchester I inherited from my grandfather that I havn't put any rounds through yet...

The West Side Range, which is about a mile from here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/dryriver/recreation/camping/brandywine.shtml is about 1/2 hour closer (there's a link to the range info from the above link). With the price of gas these days, if we're going to do either of these, we need to be thinking carpool!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Nice collection!!

Well, tomorrow is bad, as me and the wife have plans, but we need to set something up for Sunday. Hell, even if we go to the NRA range and come to my place for a BBQ and beer, that's fine with me!

I'm all up for BBQ and beer, but I wonder about lane availability at the NRA range on a holiday weekend....

Tomahawk

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
I've got a Swedish Mauser that's getting lonely, and a Ruger .270 Winchester I inherited from my grandfather that I havn't put any rounds through yet...

The West Side Range, which is about a mile from here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/dryriver/recreation/camping/brandywine.shtml is about 1/2 hour closer (there's a link to the range info from the above link). With the price of gas these days, if we're going to do either of these, we need to be thinking carpool!

I've been to the West Side range, before. It's out there a ways, but it's outdoors. There's also a range west of Martinsburg, WV called Sleepy Creek. I was there a few weeks ago, and it was a bit crowded, but you can do pretty much what you want.

Whatever you guys decide on is cool with me. I was wondering why OCDO and VCDL folks don't shoot more often, God knows there are enough of us around.

vrwmiller

imported post

Gosh...I sure would like to meet a couple of you guys, but it does not look like I'd be able to meet anyone at the range this weekend. Still, let me know the date and time and I will see what I can do.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I used to be a member at IWL too. :D

I'm getting ready to leave in a few minutes to shoot at IWLA. This morning it's a Glock 23 (which is only a month old) and a pretty highly customized Springfield Armory 1911-A1 I purchased in a private sale. The man from whom I bought this piece used to compete with it in Colorado. He was one heck of a shootist.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

You mean here? http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/ ? First time I was there was in the early '80s.

Yep, that's the place. Interesting how many people I speak with about firearms and shooting who don't know this place exists in Fairfax. They generally are quite surprised.

sitedzn

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
for those of you who want to see some really good 1000 m shooting - they have a match on July 13 (Friday) that i'll be attending/competing in. our team rifle was patterned at 0.195" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. but he's still playing with the loads to knock that down a bit.:D X ring at 1000 m is about 10", so as long as his ballistic software is accurate, and he can judge the wind good, we may have a shot at winning.

Scout

imported post

There is a fairly nice one in Opal (Rt 29 & Rt17 intersection) at the Clark Brother's gun store. Only restriction is they require you to buy your ammo or reloading supplies from them. I can get you more information on the particulars if you are interested.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Scout wrote:
There is a fairly nice one in Opal (Rt 29 & Rt17 intersection) at the Clark Brother's gun store. Only restriction is they require you to buy your ammo or reloading supplies from them. I can get you more information on the particulars if you are interested.
That would work for my bolt action '03 Springfields, but my Garand's gas system needs 150-165 grain bullets and a medium burning powder only found in MILSURP or two mfgs of Match Grade ammo (expensive).