Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I am taking my wife to a nice dinner tomorrow....

Post imported post

My wife and I recently celebrated our 10th year anniversary. Tomorrow evening, we are headed to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. They have, by far, the best steak I have ever eaten in my life. It's an upscale restaraunt, but not so upscale that shirt & tie are required (like the Inn at Little Washington, which I also highly recommend for a 5 star dining experience).

So, I've been thinking about it for a week now...should I carry or should I not? At this point, since it's a nice dinner with my wife to celebrate an important milestone in our marriage, I figured I don't want to test any boundaries by walking in packing heat. So, I figured I would just leave it locked in the car.

Would you all do the same?

Post imported post

Well, they're a major advertiser on Hannity's show so I would hope they would be in line with conservative values.

Personally I would say nothing ventured, nothing gained. I find that many folks never even notice, and if you're dressed up they're not likely to assume you're a BG.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'd say that depends on her. Sometimes nothing says I love you like a .45 on the hip for protection!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Shamefully, I've taken the easy way out myself at times and not carried to avoid the possibility of a confrontation. It's not that I'm afraid to deal with one but it just wouldn't be fair to have a Tonys like incident on say my Moms birthday or some other special occasion.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    I'd say that depends on her. Sometimes nothing says I love you like a .45 on the hip for protection!
    Exactly. If she's supportive of you carrying in general, carry, she'll understand if you get hassled. If she's not supportive, it could ruin the evening...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

Well, thanks for your feedback. I only started OC'ing this year and my wife is still acclimating herself to it. She almost had a fit that I was packing at Olive Garden for her birthday dinner. Though, she's beginning to understand that I carry in order to protect her and our son...and myself of course.

I think, for tomorrow evening, I will go ahead and leave it in the car. Perhaps our next anniversary will be different. I am working on her.

Post imported post

Ruth's Chris is a very good restaurant. Even at 24, i have been there many many times. I was just at the one in VB before coming out on the boat. Its the nicest restaurant in VB i can tell you that. but for a nice evening to celebrate something at a place that nice i wouldnt carry simply to make the evening as nice adn quiet as possible. OC is still kinda new, especially to alot of people and Ruth's Chris and other places like that have alot of pretty conservative people in it who would more than likely say something about it and then you gotta talk to management and blah blah blah. you know what i mean.

But, if anyone wants to know of any good restaurants in Philly, Charleston, SC, Atlanta, D.C., Indianapolis, Chicago, and a few other places i know of alot of really really nice restaurants just like Ruth's Chris or better.

Post imported post

places like that have alot of pretty conservative people in it who would more than likely say something about it
    I believe that conservatives would be less likely to say something about it.

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    My wife and I recently celebrated our 10th year anniversary. Tomorrow evening, we are headed to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. They have, by far, the best steak I have ever eaten in my life. It's an upscale restaraunt, but not so upscale that shirt & tie are required (like the Inn at Little Washington, which I also highly recommend for a 5 star dining experience).

So, I've been thinking about it for a week now...should I carry or should I not? At this point, since it's a nice dinner with my wife to celebrate an important milestone in our marriage, I figured I don't want to test any boundaries by walking in packing heat. So, I figured I would just leave it locked in the car.

Would you all do the same?
    We went one time.. Expensive but the service is so good! Nice and peaceful too.. No kids or mobile phone ringing. You will enjoy it.

I say you chose well for your location to celebrate.

But since this is an OC board... you will be packing, right?

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    places like that have alot of pretty conservative people in it who would more than likely say something about it
    I believe that conservatives would be less likely to say something about it.
    Conservative, liberal whatever, the kind of people who like to bitch about that kind of stuff will be there and they will say something because they think that theyre nice dinner is being ruined by a guy carrying in the restaurant. Im just sayin that if you want a nice quiet evening then i wouldnt carry, because if you do, i can pretty much guaruntee that someone in there will say something.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Shamefully, I've taken the easy way out myself at times and not carried to avoid the possibility of a confrontation. It's not that I'm afraid to deal with one but it just wouldn't be fair to have a Tonys like incident on say my Moms birthday or some other special occasion.
    There should be no shame involved. You're making a specific decision on the basis of a set of circumstances and the needs and concern of others and yourself.

No shame in that.

Post imported post

Unless your wife is a 2A activist, I say lock it up.

and Congratulations!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

The last thing you want for your 10th anniversary dinner is some "Retired marine" spoiling your meal.

Congratulations, and enjoy your evening.:celebrate

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawk, you said my point exactly.

We all know that OCing, being a relatively new and to most people an unheard of act, can often times bring attention to yourself.

Until OC is as common place as seeing a foreign car go down the road (which i think we can all agree is very common) there will (or might) be attention drawn to you.

Being an OCer we have to be able to defend our freedoms from the stupidity of the ignoarant. You have to be able to confront them (peacfully of course) and explain what you are doing and educate them.

A nice anniversary dinner is not somewhere that you want to run into the possibility of having to explain to some ******* his own constitutional rights.

So if i were you, id keep it in the car for the meal, you dont want someone with a big mouth to ruin your night.

Post imported post

My wife is supportive of me in my activities and in my exercising my own rights and educating the public about their constitutional rights. She, herself, is not necessarily and activist. If she were, I think we would have less issues going to a nice dinner packing.

When we parted the house this evening, I was wearing my piece. We got into the car and she asked if I was going to carry it. I said out of respect for her I was not going to carry in the restaraunt, but out of respect for her I still carry.

So, tonight, when we got there, I unholstered and locked the pistol up in the car. We went and had a wonderful dinner at the Fairfax Ruth's Chris (I prefer the one in Arlington because of the great view, but this one was closer to home).

Afterward, we went back to the car and I holstered back up and we took a walk around Fairfax Corner and browsed a few of the shops. While browsing around, most of the English speaking people that surrounded us, didn't notice the firearm at all. Most of those that noticed were speaking some foreign language.

Anyway, it was a great evening...

Post imported post

I took my wife to Chris Ruths here in Va Beach for our anniversary last Nov. She saw me putting on my XD-40 & tucking in my shirt & said "Well i guess we'll find out what they think of firearms won't we". I explained to her that all they could do was ask us to leave or remove the firearm from the biulding & if that happened i would just take it out to the truck& lock it up. She said "No you won't we''ll just eat somewhere else if they want to go against your beliefs". I knew i loved her for some reason. Now keep in mind that this was the first anniversary over 10 years that i didn't screw up in some way by being out of town for work, working 14-16 hours a day or by being gone hunting so she was willing to put up a pretty big sacrifice.

I say go & carry but if they ask you to leave just take it to the car & lock it up & enjoy the steak............................................. ................DF1

Post imported post

for future reference....

http://www.indigolanding.com/

great place to eat, you can watch the planes fly in to national airport! my first experience was when the place was called potomack landing in 2001 and i took my prom date there.... and every time that i have been there, it has been a wonderful time!

happy carrying,

jason

oh and btw i would leave the piece in the car

Post imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
    for future reference....

http://www.indigolanding.com/

great place to eat, you can watch the planes fly in to national airport! my first experience was when the place was called potomack landing in 2001 and i took my prom date there.... and every time that i have been there, it has been a wonderful time!
    Nice! That's one of the things I like about the Ruth's Chris in Arlington. It has a great view of National Airport, the Potomac River and the Mall.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Y'all do know there's a Ruth's Chris in Fairfax.. at Fairfax Corner (I think that's what it's called), close to Centreville off of Monument Drive.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Y'all do know there's a Ruth's Chris in Fairfax.. at Fairfax Corner (I think that's what it's called), close to Centreville off of Monument Drive.
    Yes, that is where I was last night. Still, I prefer the one in Arlington.

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Yes, that is where I was last night. Still, I prefer the one in Arlington.
    Do you prefer the one in God-forsaken Arlington because of the view or is the food better there than the one in Fairfax.

The reason I ask is because the wife and I are probably going to be hitting the one in Fairfax within the next month.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Do you prefer the one in God-forsaken Arlington because of the view or is the food better there than the one in Fairfax.

The reason I ask is because the wife and I are probably going to be hitting the one in Fairfax within the next month.
    I prefer the view and it seems to have more of an air of elegence.

Post imported post

I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist the "God-foresaken Arlington" thing. I lived in Arlington for 24 years (my wife and daughters were born and raised there), escaping for the obvious reasons in 1998. I saw it go from semi-Ok to a caldron of.. well let's just say that it not longer felt like America. There were other reasons, too but at the risk of offending the more sensitive members of this forum, I'll let those lay where they are.

I do hope you and your lady enjoyed a fine dining experience and that everything met with your satisfaction. Congratulations on your anniversary.

America First!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist the "God-foresaken Arlington" thing. I lived in Arlington for 24 years (my wife and daughters were born and raised there), escaping for the obvious reasons in 1998. I saw it go from semi-Ok to a caldron of.. well let's just say that it not longer felt like America. There were other reasons, too but at the risk of offending the more sensitive members of this forum, I'll let those lay where they are.

I do hope you and your lady enjoyed a fine dining experience and that everything met with your satisfaction. Congratulations on your anniversary.

I don't suppose Moran (or moron, I get the two mixed up) has anything to do with your opinion?

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Whenever I go out on dinner dates with my girlfriend, or have anniversary dinners, whatever, I always keep it locked up. If you have a CHP, you'd probably be ok to conceal. I just think it's a respect thing, and I wouldn't want any problems to come up at all, especially on such a special night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast