• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, I am taking my wife to a nice dinner tomorrow....

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Y'all do know there's a Ruth's Chris in Fairfax.. at Fairfax Corner (I think that's what it's called), close to Centreville off of Monument Drive.

Yes, that is where I was last night. Still, I prefer the one in Arlington.

Do you prefer the one in God-forsaken Arlington because of the view or is the food better there than the one in Fairfax.

The reason I ask is because the wife and I are probably going to be hitting the one in Fairfax within the next month.

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Do you prefer the one in God-forsaken Arlington because of the view or is the food better there than the one in Fairfax.

The reason I ask is because the wife and I are probably going to be hitting the one in Fairfax within the next month.
I prefer the view and it seems to have more of an air of elegence.

SouthernBoy

imported post

I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist the "God-foresaken Arlington" thing. I lived in Arlington for 24 years (my wife and daughters were born and raised there), escaping for the obvious reasons in 1998. I saw it go from semi-Ok to a caldron of.. well let's just say that it not longer felt like America. There were other reasons, too but at the risk of offending the more sensitive members of this forum, I'll let those lay where they are.

I do hope you and your lady enjoyed a fine dining experience and that everything met with your satisfaction. Congratulations on your anniversary.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist the "God-foresaken Arlington" thing. I lived in Arlington for 24 years (my wife and daughters were born and raised there), escaping for the obvious reasons in 1998. I saw it go from semi-Ok to a caldron of.. well let's just say that it not longer felt like America. There were other reasons, too but at the risk of offending the more sensitive members of this forum, I'll let those lay where they are.

I do hope you and your lady enjoyed a fine dining experience and that everything met with your satisfaction. Congratulations on your anniversary.

I don't suppose Moran (or moron, I get the two mixed up) has anything to do with your opinion?

Regards

mercutio545

imported post

Whenever I go out on dinner dates with my girlfriend, or have anniversary dinners, whatever, I always keep it locked up. If you have a CHP, you'd probably be ok to conceal. I just think it's a respect thing, and I wouldn't want any problems to come up at all, especially on such a special night.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I don't suppose Moran (or moron, I get the two mixed up) has anything to do with your opinion?

Regards

Yes, he was one reason and yes, around our home, both the wife and I refer to him as "Moron".

Some other reasons?

A new police chief stated that he would like to be able to inspectthe homes of Arlingtonians with class 3 weapons to see how they were stored.

A board member made the comment that "Anyone who grew up in the 60's and says they never did drugs is either lying or they didn't get out much". I found that most offensive since I am native to the area, I did grow up in the 60's, and I never have done any sort of drug, then or now. And neither did most all of my friends. And we most certainly did get out "much" and have quite a lot of fun.

Arlngton is loaded with liberals and several years after I left the county, I found out from a reliable source, that voting results were tampered with or completely discarded from districts known to vote more conservatively. From this same source came information that Arlington policemanaged a little bit of "shake-down" to increase their department monies as well.

There are other reasons, but as I mentioned, those would get into a different realm. I will say that with the tremendous influx of non-Americans into that county, I saw increased public property destruction and public displays of urination. My wife also saw public fornication in a park just outside of our property line once.

Not the best place to live.

LEO 229

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Yes, he was one reason and yes, around our home, both the wife and I refer to him as "Moron".

Some other reasons?

A new police chief stated that he would like to be able to inspectthe homes of Arlingtonians with class 3 weapons to see how they were stored.

...snip

I would not mind being asked how I planned to store my Machine Gun. I have a 1800 pound safe and all my guns are in it. I believe in making sure my guns do not end up in the hands of a burglar.

But if your going to "inspect my home"... Just how far are we going to go? :?

We can stop at the front door.You can see my safe from the window too. Inspection done!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

...snip

I would not mind being asked how I planned to store my Machine Gun. I have a 1800 pound safe and all my guns are in it. I believe in making sure my guns do not end up in the hands of a burglar.

But if your going to "inspect my home"... Just how far are we going to go? :?

We can stop at the front door.You can see my safe from the window too. Inspection done!!
"Sorry, sir, we haveorders to check the serial number of the safe--never know, it could be stolen! Step aside, please."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I lived in Arlington for 24 years (my wife and daughters were born and raised there), escaping for the obvious reasons in 1998. I saw it go from semi-Ok to a caldron of.. well let's just say that it not longer felt like America. There were other reasons, too but at the risk of offending the more sensitive members of this forum, I'll let those lay where they are.

SouthernBoy wrote:
Arlngton is loaded with liberals and several years after I left the county, I found out from a reliable source, that voting results were tampered with or completely discarded from districts known to vote more conservatively. From this same source came information that Arlington policemanaged a little bit of "shake-down" to increase their department monies as well.

There are other reasons, but as I mentioned, those would get into a different realm. I will say that with the tremendous influx of non-Americans into that county, I saw increased public property destruction and public displays of urination. My wife also saw public fornication in a park just outside of our property line once.

Do the cauldron and the different realm involve ethnicity and/or race? I know you expressed some concerns about the white and the black thing in the danbus/Wal-Mart thread. I don't think you necessarily have to hold it in to avoid offending the more sensitive members of this forum. If it's on your mind, you could express it more specifically than just hinting at it. People could then agree, disagree, praiseor ignore what you would say about it. Just a thought.

SouthernBoy

imported post

HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I lived in Arlington for 24 years (my wife and daughters were born and raised there), escaping for the obvious reasons in 1998. I saw it go from semi-Ok to a caldron of.. well let's just say that it not longer felt like America. There were other reasons, too but at the risk of offending the more sensitive members of this forum, I'll let those lay where they are.

SouthernBoy wrote:

Do the cauldron and the different realm involve ethnicity and/or race? I know you expressed some concerns about the white and the black thing in the danbus/Wal-Mart thread. I don't think you necessarily have to hold it in to avoid offending the more sensitive members of this forum. If it's on your mind, you could express it more specifically than just hinting at it. People could then agree, disagree, praiseor ignore what you would say about it. Just a thought.

My concerns about black vs white in the danbus/WalMart thread had absolutely nothing to do with danbus at all. He never raised the issue and I commend him for that. Others actually raised that flag. I just thought since he never did, it had no place in the discussion.

As for what had happened in Arlington, I prefer not to discuss those things on this forum. Yes, I alluded to them and perhaps that is something I may have been better served to let alone. But since I saw some of these things directly, I had reason for concern.. I would hope you might understand my problems with this. Our house bordered a large Arlington County park and we saw, in the years before we moved, significant change in the area.. most of which was not for the better, in my view.

However, you have made a good point in my opinion. Perhaps since that is all in the past, it would be better just to leave it as it is.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

My concerns about black vs white in the danbus/WalMart thread had absolutely nothing to do with danbus at all. He never raised the issue and I commend him for that. Others actually raised that flag. I just thought since he never did, it had no place in the discussion.

I see your points. But this one doesn't match up to what actually happened. Don't forget danbus' thread subtitle: Yes, it's sad, but true. The black man with a gun is finally banned. Hardly subtle, SouthernBoy. (And only one other poster raised the "white" issue before you voiced your objection, btw.)

I hope you don't withdraw your commendation from danbus, since he handled the situation very well, given his position and objectives, as I said in that thread.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2705.html

SouthernBoy

imported post

HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I see your points. But this one doesn't match up to what actually happened. Don't forget danbus' thread subtitle: Yes, it's sad, but true. The black man with a gun is finally banned. Hardly subtle, SouthernBoy. (And only one other poster raised the "white" issue before you voiced your objection, btw.)

I hope you don't withdraw your commendation from danbus, since he handled the situation very well, given his position and objectives, as I said in that thread.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2705.html

Yes, I saw the subtitle (who wouldn't) and it initially rubbed me the wrong way. But when I read his text, I do not recall seeing anything in there about race.

Basically what I'm saying is this. I tend to question someone's story when they start to play the race card. We have seen so much of this in the past 40+ years that it really gets old. My mother had a wonderful way of dealing with people which she instilled in her two sons. "Treat everyone with dignity and respect until they give you reason not to. Then just avoid them". I like that and try to follow it whenever possible.

Danbus did a few things which I might question, but on the whole, the onus should not be on him since from what he reported, he did not appear to have broken any laws. How you comport yourself from that point on speaks of your character as a man.

yonder

imported post

PackininVB wrote:
But, if anyone wants to know of any good restaurants in Philly, [snip] i know of alot of really really nice restaurants just like Ruth's Chris or better.

Unless you like the feel of sitting repeatedly on the skinny end of a toilet plunger, literally, do not OC in Philadelphia. I CC'd there for a few years and I was far more afraid of the police than the thugs on the street. It's NOT a gun-friendly town, DESPITE state pre-emption.

LEO 229

imported post

yonder wrote:
PackininVB wrote:
But, if anyone wants to know of any good restaurants in Philly, [snip] i know of alot of really really nice restaurants just like Ruth's Chris or better.

Unless you like the feel of sitting repeatedly on the skinny end of a toilet plunger, literally, do not OC in Philadelphia. I CC'd there for a few years and I was far more afraid of the police than the thugs on the street. It's NOT a gun-friendly town, DESPITE state pre-emption.
OUCH!! How did we go from a nice dinner with the wife to getting the plunger!!??? :D

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
...SNIP

OUCH!! How did we go from a nice dinner with the wife to getting the plunger!!??? :D

It's a New York City LEO thing you wouldn't understand, what with being from a more rational place.

Regards
Ya. I remember that a few years back. That is just wrong in so many ways... I will never understand.

vrwmiller

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

It happens to every thread. A lot of them go off the original topic at some point, given enough time, they all will. It's kinda like in elementary school when the instructor would line all the students up in a single line, whisper into the first students ear and have them pass it down the line.

...what came out at the end of the line was completely different than what was originally said.

30 cal slut

imported post

I guess you locked the gun up and took the wifey for a nice anniversary din-din.

Next time,take ME for a nice steak at that place.

We canstroll in holding hands together, open carrying.

Did somebody here mention sitting on a toilet plunger?

:idea::celebrate:idea:

vrwmiller

imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
I guess you locked the gun up and took the wifey for a nice anniversary din-din.
Yes.

Next time, take ME for a nice steak at the place.
No.

We can stroll in holding hands together, open carrying.
Definitely not.

Did somebody here mention sitting on a toilet plunger?

:idea::celebrate:idea:
Sick, sick man