• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, I am taking my wife to a nice dinner tomorrow....

vrwmiller

imported post

My wife and I recently celebrated our 10th year anniversary. Tomorrow evening, we are headed to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. They have, by far, the best steak I have ever eaten in my life. It's an upscale restaraunt, but not so upscale that shirt & tie are required (like the Inn at Little Washington, which I also highly recommend for a 5 star dining experience).

So, I've been thinking about it for a week now...should I carry or should I not? At this point, since it's a nice dinner with my wife to celebrate an important milestone in our marriage, I figured I don't want to test any boundaries by walking in packing heat. So, I figured I would just leave it locked in the car.

Would you all do the same?

zoom6zoom

imported post

Well, they're a major advertiser on Hannity's show so I would hope they would be in line with conservative values.

Personally I would say nothing ventured, nothing gained. I find that many folks never even notice, and if you're dressed up they're not likely to assume you're a BG.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Shamefully, I've taken the easy way out myself at times and not carried to avoid the possibility of a confrontation. It's not that I'm afraid to deal with one but it just wouldn't be fair to have a Tonys like incident on say my Moms birthday or some other special occasion.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
I'd say that depends on her. Sometimes nothing says I love you like a .45 on the hip for protection!
Exactly. If she's supportive of you carrying in general, carry, she'll understand if you get hassled. If she's not supportive, it could ruin the evening...

vrwmiller

imported post

Well, thanks for your feedback. I only started OC'ing this year and my wife is still acclimating herself to it. She almost had a fit that I was packing at Olive Garden for her birthday dinner. Though, she's beginning to understand that I carry in order to protect her and our son...and myself of course.

I think, for tomorrow evening, I will go ahead and leave it in the car. Perhaps our next anniversary will be different. I am working on her. :dude:

PackininVB

imported post

Ruth's Chris is a very good restaurant. Even at 24, i have been there many many times. I was just at the one in VB before coming out on the boat. Its the nicest restaurant in VB i can tell you that. but for a nice evening to celebrate something at a place that nice i wouldnt carry simply to make the evening as nice adn quiet as possible. OC is still kinda new, especially to alot of people and Ruth's Chris and other places like that have alot of pretty conservative people in it who would more than likely say something about it and then you gotta talk to management and blah blah blah. you know what i mean.

But, if anyone wants to know of any good restaurants in Philly, Charleston, SC, Atlanta, D.C., Indianapolis, Chicago, and a few other places i know of alot of really really nice restaurants just like Ruth's Chris or better.

LEO 229

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
My wife and I recently celebrated our 10th year anniversary. Tomorrow evening, we are headed to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. They have, by far, the best steak I have ever eaten in my life. It's an upscale restaraunt, but not so upscale that shirt & tie are required (like the Inn at Little Washington, which I also highly recommend for a 5 star dining experience).

So, I've been thinking about it for a week now...should I carry or should I not? At this point, since it's a nice dinner with my wife to celebrate an important milestone in our marriage, I figured I don't want to test any boundaries by walking in packing heat. So, I figured I would just leave it locked in the car.

Would you all do the same?

We went one time.. Expensive but the service is so good! Nice and peaceful too.. No kids or mobile phone ringing. You will enjoy it.

I say you chose well for your location to celebrate.

But since this is an OC board... you will be packing, right?

PackininVB

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
places like that have alot of pretty conservative people in it who would more than likely say something about it
I believe that conservatives would be less likely to say something about it.
Conservative, liberal whatever, the kind of people who like to bitch about that kind of stuff will be there and they will say something because they think that theyre nice dinner is being ruined by a guy carrying in the restaurant. Im just sayin that if you want a nice quiet evening then i wouldnt carry, because if you do, i can pretty much guaruntee that someone in there will say something.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Shamefully, I've taken the easy way out myself at times and not carried to avoid the possibility of a confrontation. It's not that I'm afraid to deal with one but it just wouldn't be fair to have a Tonys like incident on say my Moms birthday or some other special occasion.

There should be no shame involved. You're making a specific decision on the basis of a set of circumstances and the needs and concern of others and yourself.

No shame in that.

PackininVB

imported post

Hawk, you said my point exactly.

We all know that OCing, being a relatively new and to most people an unheard of act, can often times bring attention to yourself.

Until OC is as common place as seeing a foreign car go down the road (which i think we can all agree is very common) there will (or might) be attention drawn to you.

Being an OCer we have to be able to defend our freedoms from the stupidity of the ignoarant. You have to be able to confront them (peacfully of course) and explain what you are doing and educate them.

A nice anniversary dinner is not somewhere that you want to run into the possibility of having to explain to some asshole his own constitutional rights.

So if i were you, id keep it in the car for the meal, you dont want someone with a big mouth to ruin your night.

vrwmiller

imported post

My wife is supportive of me in my activities and in my exercising my own rights and educating the public about their constitutional rights. She, herself, is not necessarily and activist. If she were, I think we would have less issues going to a nice dinner packing.

When we parted the house this evening, I was wearing my piece. We got into the car and she asked if I was going to carry it. I said out of respect for her I was not going to carry in the restaraunt, but out of respect for her I still carry.

So, tonight, when we got there, I unholstered and locked the pistol up in the car. We went and had a wonderful dinner at the Fairfax Ruth's Chris (I prefer the one in Arlington because of the great view, but this one was closer to home).

Afterward, we went back to the car and I holstered back up and we took a walk around Fairfax Corner and browsed a few of the shops. While browsing around, most of the English speaking people that surrounded us, didn't notice the firearm at all. Most of those that noticed were speaking some foreign language.

Anyway, it was a great evening... :)

DeerForce1

imported post

I took my wife to Chris Ruths here in Va Beach for our anniversary last Nov. She saw me putting on my XD-40 & tucking in my shirt & said "Well i guess we'll find out what they think of firearms won't we". I explained to her that all they could do was ask us to leave or remove the firearm from the biulding & if that happened i would just take it out to the truck& lock it up. She said "No you won't we''ll just eat somewhere else if they want to go against your beliefs". I knew i loved her for some reason. Now keep in mind that this was the first anniversary over 10 years that i didn't screw up in some way by being out of town for work, working 14-16 hours a day or by being gone hunting so she was willing to put up a pretty big sacrifice.

I say go & carry but if they ask you to leave just take it to the car & lock it up & enjoy the steak.............................................................DF1

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

for future reference....

http://www.indigolanding.com/

great place to eat, you can watch the planes fly in to national airport! my first experience was when the place was called potomack landing in 2001 and i took my prom date there.... and every time that i have been there, it has been a wonderful time!

happy carrying,

jason

oh and btw i would leave the piece in the car :)

vrwmiller

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
for future reference....

http://www.indigolanding.com/

great place to eat, you can watch the planes fly in to national airport! my first experience was when the place was called potomack landing in 2001 and i took my prom date there.... and every time that i have been there, it has been a wonderful time!
Nice! That's one of the things I like about the Ruth's Chris in Arlington. It has a great view of National Airport, the Potomac River and the Mall.

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Y'all do know there's a Ruth's Chris in Fairfax.. at Fairfax Corner (I think that's what it's called), close to Centreville off of Monument Drive.

Yes, that is where I was last night. Still, I prefer the one in Arlington.