• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Wal-Mart Problem

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

One more point - if OCers represent 10% of WM's customers, I disagree that it's 10% vs 90%, for the simple reason that not all of WM's non-carrying customers are "against" or scared of us.

I don't know what the figure is, but certainly not every non-carrying customer reaches for their cell to dial 911, hides in a distant aisle at the sight of an OCer, or seeks out a manager to express their fear or displeasure. Some support us, or don't care either way, as long as one is conducting themselves in a normal, non-threatening manner.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BB62 wrote:
One more point - if OCers represent 10% of WM's customers, I disagree that it's 10% vs 90%, for the simple reason that not all of WM's non-carrying customers are "against" or scared of us.

I don't know what the figure is, but certainly not every non-carrying customer reaches for their cell to dial 911, hides in a distant aisle at the sight of an OCer, or seeks out a manager to express their fear or displeasure.  Some support us, or don't care either way, as long as one is conducting themselves in a normal, non-threatening manner.

You are right. There is no way to know the precise numbers. But if anything, they are skewed in favor of the pro-carry argument because the pro-carry numbers were intentionally inflated. The real numbers for people who regularly carry in Virginia are probably more like less that 2%. Of those probably less that half open carry. That excludes hunting and other similar activities.

In any case, not ALL of the 90% would be running to dial 911. I never said that was the case. But the number of people who would not see open carry as a good thing is so large, that at any given moment there would probably be at least 4 or 5 in any Walmart you might go to, and probably only one guy open carrying. The randomness of incidents actually lends support to that view.

There is a kind of rule of thumb in teaching that for each person that asks a question there are 10 others who wanted to ask but did not. Same thing would apply here. A lot of people would remain silent, but probably 1 in 10 will speak up.

Regards

vrwmiller

imported post

Went to Wal*Mart today to pick up some bicycle supplies/accessories. Again, like usual, I was not hassled at all. It was also apparent that, at least, 2 associates noticed me OC'ing.

vrwmiller

imported post

Went to Wal*Mart, yet again, this time to grab a couple household products and a gas can. I was OC'ing. Was not hassled even the slightest bit.

I must say, I don't quite understand this "Wal*Mart Problem" people keep speaking of. I think their current policy is working fine.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I must say, I don't quite understand this "Wal*Mart Problem" people keep speaking of. I think their current policy is working fine.

You should do a search for "Wal Mart" here on OCDO.

There are at least two or three recent incidents that have reignited the concern over what their policy is.

MIKE - where are youuuuu?

BB62

vrwmiller

imported post

BB62 wrote:

There are at least two or three recent incidents that have reignited the concern over what their policy is.

I've been watching them.

I am more concerned that the consistent squabbling of gun owners about the apparent lack of policy at Wal*Mart will cause them to create a corporate policy. Since corporate would have to tailor such a policy to fit the laws of all states, I would be willing to say that the policy would forbid carrying at all.

I am in favor of activists not contacting Wal*Mart and forcing the issue.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
BB62 wrote:

I've been watching them.

I am more concerned that the consistent squabbling of gun owners about the apparent lack of policy at Wal*Mart will cause them to create a corporate policy. Since corporate would have to tailor such a policy to fit the laws of all states, I would be willing to say that the policy would forbid carrying at all.

I am in favor of activists not contacting Wal*Mart and forcing the issue.

Oh, the ole ostrich strategy, eh? Good work, man!

ostrich.jpg

Notice, btw, that there is absolutely no 'weakness' acknowledged in this bird's position! :p

glocknroll

imported post

For me, it's pretty simple. I don't particulary likea policy stating that I can't OC at Wal Mart, but it's not my property, and they get to make the rules. If you want to shop at a particular Wal Mart that doesn't allow open carry, carry concealed. I went to Wal Mart the other night and they had a sign over the ammo counter,"We cannot sell ammo to anyone in possession of a handgun." I was carrying concealed, and I bought ammo. I'm still wondering if I beat their system, or if I helped support their system by giving them my money. That may not seem like much of a dilemma to some, but I'm trying to decide how to handle it the next time I want to buy ammo. Most local gun shops don't allow loaded guns inside, and Bass Pro Shop wants you to CC there. I have always respected the property rightsof gun shop owners who don't want loaded guns in their shop. I understand why they feel this way cuz I have seen some true morons handling guns in gun shops.

ne1

imported post

I'm still wondering if I beat their system, or if I helped support their system by giving them my money. That may not seem like much of a dilemma to some, but I'm trying to decide how to handle it the next time I want to buy ammo.
I find smaller shops much easier to deal with. With mega-marts you never really resolve any problems because every time you visit you have to break in the new manager of the day (or is it hour?). Specialty shops also tend to have a better variety to choose from. In addition, buying larger quantities helps reduce the number of times you have to be exposed to any problem.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Went to Wal*Mart, yet again, this time to grab a couple household products and a gas can. I was OC'ing. Was not hassled even the slightest bit.

What do you define as "working fine"?

vrwmiller

imported post

BB62 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

A vast majority of the surrounding populace of any Wal*Mart, I bet, patrons those Wal*Marts, at the very least, semi-frequently. This also increases the instances of pro-gunners also shopping these stores. So, one hears of more encounters at Wal*Mart because there are more instances of citizens carrying in Wal*Mart, with more people that are ignorant of local laws. You don't hear about incidents like this at establishments of much smaller volume, because there are fewer occurences of citizens carrying and fewer ignorant citizens doing what they do.

To me, while I don't have the facts to back this up, a carrier's odds of being harrassed are the same at any establishment and are proportionate to the number of visits we and anti-gunner citizens pay establishments which have no official policy on carrying of firearms.

So, if the much smaller volume establishments reached the same level as a Wal*Mart, then one might argue that similar incidents would soon crop up at these establishments as well.

So, the definition of working fine would be that I believe one's odds of being harrassed at any establishment with similar policies is proportionally the same.

The problem is not necessarily Wal*Mart. The problem is ignorant citizens (and also LEO/PD) who don't familiarize themselves with local laws...or even anti-gun citizens flexing their muscles.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
BB62 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

The problem is not necessarily Wal*Mart.
Yep, no problem at Wal-Mart. No problem at all.

ostrich.jpg

vrwmiller

imported post

HankT wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
BB62 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Holy cow! I think HankT finally gets it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
HankT wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
BB62 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Yep. BTW, how's the light down there...and hard to breath is it?

;)

vrwmiller

imported post

HankT wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
HankT wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
BB62 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Yep. BTW, how's the light down there...and hard to breath is it?

I'm not one for insulting others, but apparently, you have no problem with it... Implying that the several of us that have this point of view are ostrich's with our heads in the sand.

It pains me to have to do this, but it seems it's the only way to communicate with you on this subject. That ostrich is really how you are. Your lack of understanding on this particular issue is proof that you're the one with your head in the sand. You should shrink that pic down and make it your avatar.

I'm not going to get into a debate/argument with you, Hank, because your methods of conducting it include insulting the other party (which, BTW, is a tactic used by the anti's when they have no real argument) and several others have also proven that it's pointless with you. No amount of reasoning has penetrated you on this subject.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nevermind, just noticed that someone resurrected this over2 YEARS OLD thread.

Oday, appreciate your enthusiasm but perhaps a new thread would have been more appropriate?

AND welcome to OCDO!