• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Pittsburgh

Skuggi

imported post

Pretty crappy mall to have them ask ya to leave lol. What did you say to them? I dont recall seeing any "No Gun" signs or anything of the like.

Falcon118 wrote:
Hi all. New member, but i've been lurking. I've open carried inside the City of Pittsburgh extensively. The only problem i've ever run into was at parkway center mall I was asked to leave. Otherwise no problems.

GLOCK 23 for me :)

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

Actually, I walked around for about 30 min before anyone even said anything. I found myself, (as so many have) being followed by mall security. Security waited to confront me until the local city police arrived on scene. The confrontation consisted of the security guard explaining what his opionion on open carry was, and myself and the police officers explaining the actual legality of OC. In the end, I ended up leaving the mall afterproviding Lonnie'straining bulletin to the security guard. I also have sent an email to mall mgmt office requsting either clarification of policy to security, or a no firearms sign on the door so I know not to shop there. At least the local police are versed in the law it appears.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Skuggi wrote:
I would have asked the guard to page mall mgmt. Or give them a phone call to explain the situation.

I'm not one for making a scene, but I concur. I would have politely asked for a management type, who know what they are talking about, to clarify the situation immediately.

Very nice also to see the local PD affirming the legal and obvious. Kudos to them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hey - great work!

Looks like the Pittsburgh police know that there city ordiance against gun carry on foot without license is preempted!

Now, can you take on Pittsburgh Airport in Alleghenny County? They have a County ordaince against gun carry in the non-sterile areas of that airport - compeltely preempted - but the County Police chief told me they will enforce ANYWAY!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Falcon118 wrote:
Actually, I walked around for about 30 min before anyone even said anything. I found myself, (as so many have) being followed by mall security. Security waited to confront me until the local city police arrived on scene. The confrontation consisted of the security guard explaining what his opionion on open carry was, and myself and the police officers explaining the actual legality of OC. In the end, I ended up leaving the mall afterproviding Lonnie'straining bulletin to the security guard. I also have sent an email to mall mgmt office requsting either clarification of policy to security, or a no firearms sign on the door so I know not to shop there. At least the local police are versed in the law it appears.
You're talking about the PA training bulletin?

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

Well.. not the entire thing, just the portions that relate to the specific laws and court cases. The two officers that responded did get complete copies. I dont know what if anything that they will do with them, but we'll see. Maybe a few more educated police officers? We'll see