View Poll Results: What is the overall effect of open carry on 2A public perception?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive- Most people react in favor of more gun rights.

    13 44.83%
  • Negative- Most people react in favor of restricting gun rights.

    4 13.79%
  • It has no effect.

    3 10.34%
  • I don't know.

    7 24.14%
  • None of the above.

    2 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: What is the overall effect of open carry on 2A public perception?

  1. #1
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Seeing the news story video of Zach Doty in Idaho set me thinking on what peripheral effects open carry activism has on our 2A rights.

    I realize the poll will be skewed because the population here is almost exclusively pro-gun and depends largely on how honest weare abouthow we are being perceivedso its neither scientific or accurate... but I was curious about what our results would be.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I don't think the choices were very accurate, although we hear much more about the negatives about oc or firearms in general, the voices that oppose oc resonate much louder than the supporters of oc and gun rights in general.

    I think its about equal and there may very well be more supporters than opposers, but the opposers are heard much more than the supporters due to their constant "bitchiness"

  3. #3
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    I think, for the non-gun aware public, there are different types of open carry. And there is the factor of different locations and cultures where OC happens.

    Open carry in a pizzeria inManassas might garner some reactive responses while in rural Idaho, it's not even noteworthy. But open carry in another Manassas pizzeria might be A-OK with thegeneral populace. It's pretty situational, I think.

    I think the "overall effect of [all] open carry" is probably good. I heavily weight the Virginia activity in that assessment, since that is where the action is right now in the diffusion of open carry as a concept. The Doty situation probably has a net good effect, too.

    But the totality of open carry and its effect on the entire public is a function, consisting of many levels of favorable and unfavorable types of OC and reactions. The situationof OCin Supervisor Penelope Gross' office is one example: unfavorable effect on public perception of 2A. Clearly so. That's why I suggested that Jim Kadison apologize publicly. It would have been a smart move.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Based SOLELY on my experiences in about 2 years of OC, I'd say it has no effect.

    My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of one open-to-the-public-but-not-really-because-you-aren't-welcome-if-you-don't-agree-with-me meeting at a library.

    However, I don't think a ONE of those encounters, despite their positive nature, changed a mind. It may have reinforced, it may have added one data point, but I don't believe it changed a single person's outlook.

    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Based SOLELY on my experiences in about 2 years of OC, I'd say it has no effect.

    My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of one open-to-the-public-but-not-really-because-you-aren't-welcome-if-you-don't-agree-with-me meeting at a library.

    However, I don't think a ONE of those encounters, despite their positive nature, changed a mind. It may have reinforced, it may have added one data point, but I don't believe it changed a single person's outlook.
    Funny you should say this; because it was one answer I was hoping to see.

    The fact that OC when practiced is a NON-event, tells me that liberty is still alive- the fact that people arent converted is irrelevant, because long held beliefs arent easily discarded.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  6. #6
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    Based SOLELY on my experiences in about 2 years of OC, I'd say it has no effect.

    My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of one open-to-the-public-but-not-really-because-you-aren't-welcome-if-you-don't-agree-with-me meeting at a library.

    However, I don't think a ONE of those encounters, despite their positive nature, changed a mind. It may have reinforced, it may have added one data point, but I don't believe it changed a single person's outlook.
    Funny you should say this; because it was one answer I was hoping to see.

    The fact that OC when practiced is a NON-event, tells me that liberty is still alive- the fact that people arent converted is irrelevant, because long held beliefs arent easily discarded.
    So the slogan, exposure increases acceptance, is now defunct?

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    Funny you should say this; because it was one answer I was hoping to see.

    The fact that OC when practiced is a NON-event, tells me that liberty is still alive- the fact that people arent converted is irrelevant, because long held beliefs arent easily discarded.
    But I hope your interest wasn't satiated simply because ONE person gave a limited answer as to her experiences.

    Overall, I think OC is a positive; the more people see it, the more normal they realize it can and should be - and in fact, IS.

    I simply believe the average American is too inured to notice ANYTHING.

    And I believe a true anti will require a significant emotional event before he will change his mind.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    I've only had two or three negative reactions to many positive reactions. In that public perception is the collective individual perception, I'd have to say the overall effect is positive.


    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  9. #9
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Cut And Shoot wrote:
    In the mall it's not appropriate.
    Why is OC not appropriate in a mall?

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Cut And Shoot wrote:
    In the mall it's not appropriate.
    Why is OC not appropriate in a mall?
    Let him alone, Hank. Or, at least fight nice.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  11. #11
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    ConditionThree wrote:
    Funny you should say this; because it was one answer I was hoping to see.

    The fact that OC when practiced is a NON-event, tells me that liberty is still alive- the fact that people arent converted is irrelevant, because long held beliefs arent easily discarded.
    But I hope your interest wasn't satiated simply because ONE person gave a limited answer as to her experiences.

    Overall, I think OC is a positive; the more people see it, the more normal they realize it can and should be - and in fact, IS.

    I simply believe the average American is too inured to notice ANYTHING.

    And I believe a true anti will require a significant emotional event before he will change his mind.
    No it isnt satiated by one experience... I guess my point is that since it has 'no effect' --(ie; changing someone's preconceptions about firearms either for or against), there really isnt any threat to reducing the regularexcersize of our rights.

    It has been postulated before that someone OC'ing will ruin CCW rights or ANY carry rights we have remaining by polarizing the opposition into action to FORCE concealment or further restricting carry.

    It seems to me- that the opposition is already doing all they are capable of to restrict rights and that people OC'ing arent going to have any effect in encouraging more activism against the 2A.



    Carry on....
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  12. #12
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Cut And Shoot wrote:
    In the mall it's not appropriate.
    Why is OC not appropriate in a mall?
    Let him alone, Hank. Or, at least fight nice.
    He CLEARLY is trying to compromise our rights away. And since he has been established as a compromiser of our RKBA, then I really don't know why his is posting here.

    We mayhave to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I really don't know if open carry has a possitive or negative perception for the general public. I don't think we will know for a little while. My experience has been generally possitive. Having said that my wife won't go with me while I open carry though (she will concealed). My mother hates the idea. My sisters don't have a clue why anyone would do that and my father just laughs. These are all gun owners. Most other people I run into just kind of avoid the subject or me. I really don't know what their opinion is. In the end I suspect that quite a few people who notice what is going on may feel a little uncomfortable. Hopefully that eases every time the don't get shot by an open carrier. Time will tell. I don't think we can measure at this time whether or not open carry will result in new legislation. It is one of the easiest areas to attack. I would compare it to assault weapons. Some ideas are eassier to cause people to fear than others. As a result they are more apt to take action against those activities. It is also very difficult to explain your reasoning to someone who doesn't understand the basic principles of true liberty or the right anddutyto defend yourself and community is all about. But like I said, only time will tell.

  14. #14
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    daniel.call wrote:
    I really don't know if open carry has a possitive or negative perception for the general public. I don't think we will know for a little while. My experience has been generally possitive. Having said that my wife won't go with me while I open carry though (she will concealed). My mother hates the idea. My sisters don't have a clue why anyone would do that and my father just laughs. These are all gun owners. Most other people I run into just kind of avoid the subject or me. I really don't know what their opinion is. In the end I suspect that quite a few people who notice what is going on may feel a little uncomfortable. Hopefully that eases every time the don't get shot by an open carrier. Time will tell. I don't think we can measure at this time whether or not open carry will result in new legislation. It is one of the easiest areas to attack. I would compare it to assault weapons. Some ideas are eassier to cause people to fear than others. As a result they are more apt to take action against those activities. It is also very difficult to explain your reasoning to someone who doesn't understand the basic principles of true liberty or the right anddutyto defend yourself and community is all about. But like I said, only time will tell.
    This is a very frank and forthright answer. I got a lot out of it. Thank you.

    On one, and only one, point, I see the "wife won't support OC/go with me" reference again. I find that interesting.

    It would be nice to have such a woman discuss their position/views on the matter. Here.

    Maybe we could get Hawk to avoidshooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!



    Seriously, learning the views and reasons of a spouse who strictly rejects OC would be most educational. It's a powerful behavior that they are doing.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    450

    Post imported post

    In my experience, the general public responds to OC in a number of ways.

    Positive - "I didn't know that was legal! How do I do that?" or "I always conceal, but I might give that a try!"

    Negative - "Why would you want to carry an instrument of death?... Especially in a way that everyone can see!?" or "What about the children?!!! I'm calling the police!"

    On the fence - "You're not a cop?Well, you seem like a upstanding person, I don't feel threatened."

    Oblivious - "What gun? Who's got a gun? Why should I care?"


    The first 2 would respond that way pretty much regardless of the circumstances or demeanor of the person OCing... The latter two just mind their own business, or don't even care about anything around them.

    Generally, the public responds to OC in the same way that they individually respond to anything controversial...

  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Alabama, USA
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Cut And Shoot wrote:
    In the mall it's not appropriate.
    Why is OC not appropriate in a mall?
    If OC is legal. why would ANYWHERE open to the public be inappropriate?...are there places that BGs aren't allowed to do their deeds by some BG creed?......why would it be any more inappropriate for one of us than for an LEO?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    My wife doesn't want to go anywhere with me open carrying because she is afraid a police officer is going to over-react and gun me down while I am trying to buy milk. I wish I could lay her fears to rest but cops do the strangest things sometimes.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    450

    Post imported post

    daniel.call wrote:
    My wife doesn't want to go anywhere with me open carrying because she is afraid a police officer is going to over-react and gun me down while I am trying to buy milk. I wish I could lay her fears to rest but cops do the strangest things sometimes.
    Yeah... cops do, do the strangest things sometimes.

    But, that's because they must recruit from the human-race... That kinda limits the potential of any profession, overall.

    People do the strangest things... and some of them have badges.

    All good reasons to carry, in my book. Flying under the radar only works until the unthinkable happens... Then, you'd just better be armed.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    ...SNIP
    We may¬*have to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.
    HankT wrote:
    ...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...
    Hmm.... Trolling.
    Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

    I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  20. #20
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ...SNIP
    We mayhave to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.
    HankT wrote:
    ...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...
    Hmm.... Trolling.
    Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

    I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.
    Hmm, lose a few arguments andyou get all miffed again, eh?

    Here, take a couple of these. It'll improve your disposition. Maybe.



  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Hawk and Hank at it again?



  22. #22
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Hawk=



    Moi =



  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ...SNIP
    We may¬*have to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.
    HankT wrote:
    ...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...
    Hmm.... Trolling.
    Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

    I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.
    Hmm, lose a¬* few arguments and¬*you get all miffed again, eh?

    Here, take a couple of these. It'll improve your disposition. Maybe.

    ¬*
    So you agree that you are a troll?
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ...SNIP
    We mayhave to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.
    HankT wrote:
    ...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...
    Hmm.... Trolling.
    Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

    I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.
    Hmm, lose a few arguments andyou get all miffed again, eh?

    Here, take a couple of these. It'll improve your disposition. Maybe.

    So you agree that you are a troll?
    I've found, Hawk, that in arguments with Hank it's best just to let him have the last word and move on with the thread.

  25. #25
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ...SNIP
    We mayhave to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.
    HankT wrote:
    ...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...
    Hmm.... Trolling.
    Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

    I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.
    Hmm, lose a few arguments andyou get all miffed again, eh?

    Here, take a couple of these. It'll improve your disposition. Maybe.

    So you agree that you are a troll?
    Oh, the old, "so you agree that you are compromising rights away,eh?"/"so, you agree that you are still/not beating your wife anymore?" gambit again?

    Are you just stuck on that? Or is that the only one you know?



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •