• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the overall effect of open carry on 2A public perception?

What is the overall effect of open carry on 2A public perception?

• Positive- Most people react in favor of more gun rights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Negative- Most people react in favor of restricting gun rights.

• It has no effect.

• I don't know.

• None of the above.

• Total voters

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Seeing the news story video of Zach Doty in Idaho set me thinking on what peripheral effects open carry activism has on our 2A rights.

I realize the poll will be skewed because the population here is almost exclusively pro-gun and depends largely on how honest weare abouthow we are being perceivedso its neither scientific or accurate... but I was curious about what our results would be.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I don't think the choices were very accurate, although we hear much more about the negatives about oc or firearms in general, the voices that oppose oc resonate much louder than the supporters of oc and gun rights in general.

I think its about equal and there may very well be more supporters than opposers, but the opposers are heard much more than the supporters due to their constant "bitchiness"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I think, for the non-gun aware public, there are different types of open carry. And there is the factor of different locations and cultures where OC happens.

Open carry in a pizzeria inManassas might garner some reactive responses while in rural Idaho, it's not even noteworthy. But open carry in another Manassas pizzeria might be A-OK with thegeneral populace. It's pretty situational, I think.

I think the "overall effect of [all] open carry" is probably good. I heavily weight the Virginia activity in that assessment, since that is where the action is right now in the diffusion of open carry as a concept. The Doty situation probably has a net good effect, too.

But the totality of open carry and its effect on the entire public is a function, consisting of many levels of favorable and unfavorable types of OC and reactions. The situationof OCin Supervisor Penelope Gross' office is one example: unfavorable effect on public perception of 2A. Clearly so. That's why I suggested that Jim Kadison apologize publicly. It would have been a smart move.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Based SOLELY on my experiences in about 2 years of OC, I'd say it has no effect.

My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of one open-to-the-public-but-not-really-because-you-aren't-welcome-if-you-don't-agree-with-me meeting at a library.

However, I don't think a ONE of those encounters, despite their positive nature, changed a mind. It may have reinforced, it may have added one data point, but I don't believe it changed a single person's outlook.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Tess wrote:
Based SOLELY on my experiences in about 2 years of OC, I'd say it has no effect.

My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of one open-to-the-public-but-not-really-because-you-aren't-welcome-if-you-don't-agree-with-me meeting at a library.

However, I don't think a ONE of those encounters, despite their positive nature, changed a mind. It may have reinforced, it may have added one data point, but I don't believe it changed a single person's outlook.

Funny you should say this; because it was one answer I was hoping to see.

The fact that OC when practiced is a NON-event, tells me that liberty is still alive- the fact that people arent converted is irrelevant, because long held beliefs arent easily discarded.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Tess wrote:

The fact that OC when practiced is a NON-event, tells me that liberty is still alive- the fact that people arent converted is irrelevant, because long held beliefs arent easily discarded.
So the slogan, exposure increases acceptance, is now defunct?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

But I hope your interest wasn't satiated simply because ONE person gave a limited answer as to her experiences.

Overall, I think OC is a positive; the more people see it, the more normal they realize it can and should be - and in fact, IS.

I simply believe the average American is too inured to notice ANYTHING.

And I believe a true anti will require a significant emotional event before he will change his mind.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've only had two or three negative reactions to many positive reactions. In that public perception is the collective individual perception, I'd have to say the overall effect is positive.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Tess wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:

But I hope your interest wasn't satiated simply because ONE person gave a limited answer as to her experiences.

Overall, I think OC is a positive; the more people see it, the more normal they realize it can and should be - and in fact, IS.

I simply believe the average American is too inured to notice ANYTHING.

And I believe a true anti will require a significant emotional event before he will change his mind.

No it isnt satiated by one experience... I guess my point is that since it has 'no effect' --(ie; changing someone's preconceptions about firearms either for or against), there really isnt any threat to reducing the regularexcersize of our rights.

It has been postulated before that someone OC'ing will ruin CCW rights or ANY carry rights we have remaining by polarizing the opposition into action to FORCE concealment or further restricting carry.

It seems to me- that the opposition is already doing all they are capable of to restrict rights and that people OC'ing arent going to have any effect in encouraging more activism against the 2A.

Carry on....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:
Cut And Shoot wrote:
In the mall it's not appropriate.
Why is OC not appropriate in a mall?

Let him alone, Hank. Or, at least fight nice. :)

He CLEARLY is trying to compromise our rights away. And since he has been established as a compromiser of our RKBA, then I really don't know why his is posting here.

We mayhave to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.

daniel.call

imported post

I really don't know if open carry has a possitive or negative perception for the general public. I don't think we will know for a little while. My experience has been generally possitive. Having said that my wife won't go with me while I open carry though (she will concealed). My mother hates the idea. My sisters don't have a clue why anyone would do that and my father just laughs. These are all gun owners. Most other people I run into just kind of avoid the subject or me. I really don't know what their opinion is. In the end I suspect that quite a few people who notice what is going on may feel a little uncomfortable. Hopefully that eases every time the don't get shot by an open carrier. Time will tell. I don't think we can measure at this time whether or not open carry will result in new legislation. It is one of the easiest areas to attack. I would compare it to assault weapons. Some ideas are eassier to cause people to fear than others. As a result they are more apt to take action against those activities. It is also very difficult to explain your reasoning to someone who doesn't understand the basic principles of true liberty or the right anddutyto defend yourself and community is all about. But like I said, only time will tell.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

daniel.call wrote:
I really don't know if open carry has a possitive or negative perception for the general public. I don't think we will know for a little while. My experience has been generally possitive. Having said that my wife won't go with me while I open carry though (she will concealed). My mother hates the idea. My sisters don't have a clue why anyone would do that and my father just laughs. These are all gun owners. Most other people I run into just kind of avoid the subject or me. I really don't know what their opinion is. In the end I suspect that quite a few people who notice what is going on may feel a little uncomfortable. Hopefully that eases every time the don't get shot by an open carrier. Time will tell. I don't think we can measure at this time whether or not open carry will result in new legislation. It is one of the easiest areas to attack. I would compare it to assault weapons. Some ideas are eassier to cause people to fear than others. As a result they are more apt to take action against those activities. It is also very difficult to explain your reasoning to someone who doesn't understand the basic principles of true liberty or the right anddutyto defend yourself and community is all about. But like I said, only time will tell.

This is a very frank and forthright answer. I got a lot out of it. Thank you.

On one, and only one, point, I see the "wife won't support OC/go with me" reference again. I find that interesting.

It would be nice to have such a woman discuss their position/views on the matter. Here.

Maybe we could get Hawk to avoidshooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!

:dude:

Seriously, learning the views and reasons of a spouse who strictly rejects OC would be most educational. It's a powerful behavior that they are doing.

molonlabetn

imported post

In my experience, the general public responds to OC in a number of ways.

Positive - "I didn't know that was legal! How do I do that?" or "I always conceal, but I might give that a try!"

Negative - "Why would you want to carry an instrument of death?... Especially in a way that everyone can see!?" or "What about the children?!!! I'm calling the police!"

On the fence - "You're not a cop?Well, you seem like a upstanding person, I don't feel threatened."

Oblivious - "What gun? Who's got a gun? Why should I care?"

The first 2 would respond that way pretty much regardless of the circumstances or demeanor of the person OCing... The latter two just mind their own business, or don't even care about anything around them.

Generally, the public responds to OC in the same way that they individually respond to anything controversial...

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
Cut And Shoot wrote:
In the mall it's not appropriate.
Why is OC not appropriate in a mall?
If OC is legal. why would ANYWHERE open to the public be inappropriate?...are there places that BGs aren't allowed to do their deeds by some BG creed?......why would it be any more inappropriate for one of us than for an LEO?

daniel.call

imported post

My wife doesn't want to go anywhere with me open carrying because she is afraid a police officer is going to over-react and gun me down while I am trying to buy milk. I wish I could lay her fears to rest but cops do the strangest things sometimes.

molonlabetn

imported post

daniel.call wrote:
My wife doesn't want to go anywhere with me open carrying because she is afraid a police officer is going to over-react and gun me down while I am trying to buy milk. I wish I could lay her fears to rest but cops do the strangest things sometimes.

Yeah... cops do, do the strangest things sometimes.

But, that's because they must recruit from the human-race... That kinda limits the potential of any profession, overall.

People do the strangest things... and some of them have badges.

All good reasons to carry, in my book. Flying under the radar only works until the unthinkable happens... Then, you'd just better be armed.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
...SNIP
We may have to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.

HankT wrote:
...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...

Hmm.... Trolling.
Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
HankT wrote:
...SNIP
We mayhave to sic MD Hawkflyer on Cut And Shoot! He'll be in for it then.

HankT wrote:
...Maybe we could get Hawk to avoid shooing her off by calling her a .....compromiser!...:dude:

Hmm.... Trolling.
Usually I am only attacked when I am part of the discussion, by people honorable enough to do it to my face.

I did post once that I thought you were being misjudged by many members here, and that you were not a troll. I stand corrected on that point.

Hmm, lose a few arguments andyou get all miffed again, eh?

Here, take a couple of these. It'll improve your disposition. Maybe.

chillpill.gif
chillpill.gif