View Poll Results: What do YOU think the best defensive caliber is?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • .22lr

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

4 13.79%

0 0%
  • 9mm

4 13.79%
  • 10mm

2 6.90%

4 13.79%

14 48.28%

1 3.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Definsive Caliber

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have searched many boards, an innumberable amount of independent articles and as I am sure everyone knows, there is no one resonating answer when it comes to the best caliber for defensive purposes.

Personally I like the 9mm, but I could probably even go with a .40, its a recoil issue for me, but with more and more practice, I could probably shoot a .45 almost as reliably as I can shoot a 9mm...

But then I have to compare stopping power to the number of rounds I can carry...

But anyway the purpose of this thread is to get everyone take on what they think the best defensive caliber is -- looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Well I have never had so much trouble creating a poll, if anyone can delete this thread please do so, and I will try to recreate it, without all the number mumbo jumbo that has magically appeared...

Post imported post

I say .45, but that's personally to me, the best defensive caliber is the largest one you can accurately shoot obviously. > )

Capacity isn't an issue really even with 13+1 being so small and compact in the XD .45's so it's really accuracy and user handling.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

just like chris with his .45, i too have a favorite caliber.

i have three favorite numbers, all odd and they are sequential, can you guess?

oh and ryan..... the most important this is shot placement and accuracy (center mass)!

happy carrying,

jason

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

openryan, I deleted the extra numbers in you poll, though you could do that same thing if you edit your first post. If you still want me to delete the thread,just let me know.

State Researcher

Post imported post

No you can keep it up now , thanks for your help Bob, I tried to edit, but couldn't find out how to edit the poll.

Your help is much appreciated!

Post imported post

.45 acp for me. Federal 230gr. Hydra-Shok JHP to be exact. Bigger bullets make bigger holes.

Post imported post

.357 magnum for me. It can be loaded with self defense loads of 125 gr to do 1450-1600 fps to hardcast loads of 200 grain to do 1300-1400 fps. 38 special can be employed to plinking, and offers good economy in that sense.

I prefer a revolver though. I shoot better with a revolver than with a semiauto. The recoil to a 1911 was not enjoyable as compared to my .357 spitting out 125-158 grain loads. I could bring my .357 back on target quicker than my friends 1911.

Find your caliber, learn it well.

Post imported post

Collier4385 wrote:
    .357 magnum for me. It can be loaded with self defense loads of 125 gr to do 1450-1600 fps to hardcast loads of 200 grain to do 1300-1400 fps. 38 special can be employed to plinking, and offers good economy in that sense.

I prefer a revolver though. I shoot better with a revolver than with a semiauto. The recoil to a 1911 was not enjoyable as compared to my .357 spitting out 125-158 grain loads. I could bring my .357 back on target quicker than my friends 1911.

+:celebrate

Post imported post

The best defensive caliber is the one that you can hit your target with. I use a .45, but I wouldn't feel underpowered by a 9mm. The key is to practice enough to consistently hit your target.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Like the others have said, go to a range and rent a few different calibers util you find the largest that you can handle and accurately hit your target with. One well placed .22LR is worth more that 100 misses with a .45. Once you find "your" caliber, practice, practice, practice.

I'm 6', 210 and for me that is the.45ACP because nothing says STOP like a .45!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

The best caliber?

Well, .50 is nifty. But the most practical firearms for carry do not come in that caliber. Moreover, hitting the target (more then once if necessary) is critical.

So when ALL the factors are included (not just bore size), for me the .45 is the walk away favorite in a semi-auto.

For a revolver, I like a .44 magnum, loaded with light .44 mags or .44 specials.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hell everybody knows you hit a fella in the toe with a .45 and he will be knocked back 10 feet and bleed out in a few minutes.

Seriously, .357 mag is the best defensive handgun cartridge. I don't own one.

I carry 9mm, .357 SIG and .45, depending on my mood.

Go with the 9mm, it will get the job done and ammo is cheaper. If you decide to go .40, don't.... go .45. jmo
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

It does depend. For Home Defense, 12 gauge with 00 buck by my bed, but daily I carry a .45 ACPor a .357 Magnum.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

For home defense: 12 gauge.. period.

Elsewhere: Europellets. It's just my preference, but 9mm bleeds just as well as .45, but doesn't have as much recoil. I also can't imagine anybody not being stopped by 9mm slugs. If they keep coming you can generally fit more 9mm in a mag anyways

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
    For home defense: 12 gauge.. period.

Elsewhere: Europellets. It's just my preference, but 9mm bleeds just as well as .45, but doesn't have as much recoil. I also can't imagine anybody not being stopped by 9mm slugs. If they keep coming you can generally fit more 9mm in a mag anyways
    I read a quote from a Navy SEAL (I think) that was something like, "You can laugh at my 9mm all you want, but the guy who I hit twice in chest and once in the head won't be laughing too much."

Post imported post

I would opine that the "best" caliber is the largest gun/caliber combination you are able to shoot well and are willing to carry with you all the time. For me, thats a .357 SIG or .45. But somebody with arthritis or a hand injury might only be able to shoot a .22. While it wouldn't be *my* first choice, a .22 beats bare hands any day. And a compact 9mm beats the hand cannon you leave at home because its too bulky, heavy and uncomfortable to carry around.

Post imported post

I am new to this forum coming from californiaccw.org.

I am retired and have held an open carry permit for years.

As far as best defensive caliber goes, it used to be the old adage, what ever made the biggest hole. Winchester has a site that might break it down a bit
    http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...win_flash.html

As for me .40 in a Glock 22/27 works for me

Post imported post

And the WINNER is

:celebrate

markand wrote:
    I would opine that the "best" caliber is the largest gun/caliber combination you are able to shoot well and are willing to carry with you all the time. For me, thats a .357 SIG or .45. But somebody with arthritis or a hand injury might only be able to shoot a .22. While it wouldn't be *my* first choice, a .22 beats bare hands any day. And a compact 9mm beats the hand cannon you leave at home because its too bulky, heavy and uncomfortable to carry around.
    Sounds good to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Poll's closed but figured I'd share my opinion... I feel .357Sig is probably one of the best CCW defense round. It packs the ballistics of a .357 Mag, which arguably has the highes "one shot stop" ratio, into an auto pistol. I was speaking with an Off Duty LEO this week who felt that the .357Sig could overtake the .40 as a defensive round.

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:

And the WINNER is

:celebrate

markand wrote:
    Sounds good to me!
    I very much agree with markand except for the .22 part. .22 is too small to go for self-defense, IMO. As a general rule, I mean.

I'm certain that a .22 in the hands of a highly competent combat-trained shooter would be just fine. If that was the only thing he had available...

Post imported post

SHTF
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Collier4385 wrote:
    Agreed 100% and with me shooting a couple hundred rounds a month the 9mm is my choise. If funds were unlimited, it would be .45 hands down...Just can't afford to shoot as much as I think I need to.

Post imported post

Good link to help make the choice

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

I'll stick with the 9mm

Post imported post

here is one of my OC guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast