• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Parkersburg

Walter45Auto

imported post

Is it legal in that city? If so, Is open Carry commonly practised in Parkersburg? For example, if I oc in the Mall orWal-Mart there, is someone gonna get scared and scream "GUN!" and call the police on me? I ask because I have family in Cutler, OH, right across the river. And we spend a fair amount of time in Parkersburg when I'm upthere.I'm getting a Nonresident license to cover concealed carry in Ohio (Either Utah, or Florida. I haven't decided whichyet.).

badmonkey

imported post

IANAL but as far as I know it is legal in Parkersburg. Open carry is really not that common in WV though so there is a chance of being hassled in one way or another, if you don't want this, don't carry is my advice. I'm not trying to steer you away from open carry, just being realistic. Everytime I carry I know there is a chance of being hassled but I am prepared to deal with it, simply because it is not common in WV.

But if you want to stand up for your rights and are willing to deal with the crap you may face, knowing you are legal then by all means go for it!

Walter45Auto

imported post

Yes I am that Walter45Auto. I'd rather not stir up something in a state I don't live in if I can avoid it. But I don't want to be left defenseless, either... Makes It a tough choice. If WV wouldjust honor my TX license, I wouldn't have that problem. LOL.YOu have any other advice on this?? How does Law Enforcement around therereact to Open Carry?

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Walter, a new CCW bill just recently took effect here in WV. (today actually)The Attorney General is working with the WVCDL to establish reciprocity with as many states as possible. Lord willing, in the not too distant future you'll be able to CCW here in WV. We'll keep you posted.;)

www.WVCDL.org

badmonkey

imported post

I've never had a LEO encounter while open carrying but then again I've only seen one while I was. I've heard mixed messages on it from them. Some newer cops say they would write someone open carrying for brandishing (which they can't legally do), and most older ones know it is legal. If you do choose to open carry, know your rights, know the laws, and be prepared to assert them in an intelligent way. I wish OC were more common in WV but it just isn't. I'm working on that though, but I can only do so much myself! Just remember that you are legal if you choose to OC (insert standard IANAL disclaimer here).

badmonkey

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
Walter, a new CCW bill just recently took effect here in WV. (today actually)The Attorney General is working with the WVCDL to establish reciprocity with as many states as possible. Lord willing, in the not too distant future you'll be able to CCW here in WV. We'll keep you posted.;)

http://www.WVCDL.org
What he said, too.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

All the more reason to OC - besides, as a non-resident, and not being able to obtain a CHP for WV, you have the WV Const. right to carry openly. Case cite omitted for now.

Walter45Auto

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:

http://www.WVCDL.org
I do appreciate it, gentlemen. That will definitely be a good thing. In a place where OC ain't that common, I'd rather keep it concealed if I legally can. Especially if I ain't a resident of that state. Open Carry here in Texas ain't even allowed (Unless of course you're hunting or on your own property.). I can get a nonresident license to cover me while in Ohio (And I intend to), but WV won't let you do that. I wonder why West Virginia only has reciprocity with KY and VA. And that's WHY I asked about opencarry. Thanks again, folks.