• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Day: First Open Carry

leftyjace

imported post

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a bit. A few things...

1. I submitted my application for a CWP at the end of February, and got it last Friday. Total wait: 87 days.

2. Though I will feel more comfortable doing concealed carry the majority of the time, I understand the various reasons for open carry and will be doing it on occassion.

3. Incidentally, my sidearm of choice is a Springfield XD-45 ACP Service issue. LOVE it.

4. I've asked a few cops about their opinions concerning Open Carry...one gal who works out at the gym I work out at said that she would feel justified making a "disorderly conduct" arrest if my wearing a gun openly was causing a panic. She didn't agree with the concept at all. Another cop friend of mine says he totally supports concealed carry, and thinks it's wonderful - but open carry is just too "wild west" for him.

Now, on to my first open carry...
Completely uneventful.
Went to the Verizon store in Jordan Landing...no reactions, no questions, nothing.
Then went up to the Circuit City in Jordan Landing...same thing.
Then made my way to Leatherby's...same thing.

Afterwards my wife quizzed me on my reasons for carrying openly (we were out and about with our 4 children). After explaining to her the rationale fomented by the majority of posters here, she started to see the point in carrying openly.

Anyway, that's it from here. I'll be lurking...

Lew

imported post

What a perfect day for your first open carry! It's too bad that some law enforcement think how they feel equals the law. Hopefully you don't meet any of those out and about. Welcome to the forum, and don't be a stranger.

Cheers.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Congrats on the OC and welcome to the forum! Feels good, huh? I still haven't CC'ed yet and would rather OC all the time.

I wonder if that female LEO wouldas easily arrest someone wearing a shirt that has a provoking message on it that was causing a panic? I would ask that female LEO to first, define and quantify "panic" and is it her job to prevent the spread of fear and panic? NO, it is to enforce laws. Sorry, her feelings are ofno consequence,she better had better not just "feel justified" in making the arrest, but had better "BE" justified. Anything else is an abuse of power and police authority.

They're trying to legislate and ajudicate fear and that just cannot be done. Anything else is foolish folly.

Good job on the OC!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

If the Police feel that an openly carried weapon causes panic, why don't they conceal theirs?

We have to remember thatwomen, blacks and gays all were oppressed until they stood up and said "enough of the BS, those are our rights too and we are taking them back - NOW!" In public, in the streets, in defiance of what is "normal". Yes it made some folks upset. Sometimes the Police were involved. Sometimes they were shunned by family and friends. They lost jobs or were kicked out of school. Often they were verbally attacked, many were beaten and some where killed! What are we afraid of?

If not now, when? If not us, who?

Peacefully if we can, with a roar if we must, but wecan not lose this battle!

LoveMyCountry

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The American Red Cross carries TAZERS and can use them? WTF? If you were threatened by an ARC member, I would forward that e-mail along with your statement of the facts to the ARC headquarters with copies to the State and Regional leadership. That is most definitely against their Rules of Conduct.

From the ARC page: http://www.redcross.org/fraud

Fraud, Waste or Abuse - Concern Connection Line
The Concern Connection Line is a 24-hour, confidential and anonymous, toll-free line that provides American Red Cross staff, volunteer and members of the public a way to report concerns or questions regarding potentially illegal, unsafe or unethical conduct. Examples of some issues that should be reported include:
  • Theft, fraud or any other dishonest conduct
  • Discrimination or harassment
  • Waste or abuse of Red Cross resources
  • Conflicts of interest
  • Unsafe situations
  • Mismanagement
  • Any actions that violate the Red Cross Code of Conduct
featarrow.gif
Call the Red Cross Concern Connection Line at 888-309-9679