• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How I spent my Memorial Day.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow, bulldog, such beautiful and moving pics. Thanks for sharing.

I spent some quality time with 3 old war veterans on Memorial Day. I was cleaning my CMP rifles and when I took off the buttplate of my CMP Garand, I found sand.

Yes, sand.

Not a lot, a tiny bit not even enough to save, but there it was. It took a few moments for the lump in my throat to clear before I was able to continue.

I spent the rest of the day wondering wherethat sand came from. Was it Normandy? Iwo Jima? African desert? I'll never know, but then again it doesn't matter.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

American Legion Gislason-Richter Post 402 Memorial Ceremonies in the morning, including the reading of the names of the 200 Islanders fallen in wars. The Memorial Day address was on the sinking of the Indianapolis and the display of a piece of the Kamikazi that damaged the Indy earlier.

In the evening the Post had a potluck that, for me, featured a MCPOCG telling of Carlos Hathcock's Last Parade - he stood and walked two or three steps, without his sideboys or canes, to accept his honors.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Wow, bulldog, such beautiful and moving pics. Thanks for sharing.

I spent some quality time with 3 old war veterans on Memorial Day. I was cleaning my CMP rifles and when I took off the buttplate of my CMP Garand, I found sand.

Yes, sand.

Not a lot, a tiny bit not even enough to save, but there it was. It took a few moments for the lump in my throat to clear before I was able to continue.

I spent the rest of the day wondering wherethat sand came from. Was it Normandy? Iwo Jima? African desert? I'll never know, but then again it doesn't matter.
The sand at Iwo Jima is like no other sand. It is mainly very course black sand on the beach.... :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The big island of Hawaii also has Black sand on some beaches. It is however very unlikely that rifle every assaulted any beach in Hawaii. Since it came from Greece it is more likely from Europe.

Of course BobCav may have just set the but down on the range in New Jersey. Wait, can't be that, the soil in New Jersey would eat the wood right off the gun.

Regards

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The big island of Hawaii also has Black sand on some beaches. It is however very unlikely that rifle every assaulted any beach in Hawaii. Since it came from Greece it is more likely from Europe.

Of course BobCav may have just set the but down on the range in New Jersey. Wait, can't be that, the soil in New Jersey would eat the wood right off the gun.

Regards
Haha... thankfully the range was in PA! Of course I had to clean them in my parents' backyard...lol. Nope, it wasn't black sand, looked like regular old sand. U upgraded from the Greek racker to the Danish Field Grade, so who knows. It was built in May 43.