• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How open carry can deter an altercation

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
HankT wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:
Anyway, he starts to pull around eye-balling me hard just as I'm getting out. He notices the gun and the hard look immediately turns into a "my bad" wave and he quickly drives away. Obviously, not a major altercation, but a practical example nonetheless.
I wonder what would have happened if he had a gun too?
A blood bath, no doubt.

Indeed... :banghead:

I just live to get in gun-fights over parking spaces and traffic in-discretions :uhoh:

Hank, most of the people I know who carry are pretty laid-back in public, even me (if ya' can believe it, between all of my violent confrontations with police :uhoh:)... Personally, I haven't even used my horn in years (much less my middle finger, derogatory vocabulary, or firearm) to intimidate someone... The general consensus is that we want to be left alone and aliveto fight real issues.

So, what if he was a gang-banger, and wanted to start a shootout right there? At least the OP would have had some means of repelling the 'road-rage' attack.

Here's an interesting question. Let's say some guy does a bad driving maneuver and stops abruptly or unpredictably, maybe in a spot he really shouldn't be in. Something like that. The guy behind him gets inconvenienced. So he wants to tell the guy, "Hey buddy, learn how to drive! You can't stop there!" Something like that. (Not, "You $%!*&er, don't get in my #@ #%~@ #%* ing way!).

But he sees the driver who did the bad maneuver (accidently or on purpose, hard to know) has a gun on his hip. Should the inconvenienced guy say what he wants to say ("Hey buddy, learn how to drive! You can't stop there!") or not?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

First off, how could one seated driver see the holstered sidearm of another seated driver without coming up to the window? Had he done that, itwould be extremely aggressive and confrontational and if he then saw the gun and left, I'd say OC did it's job.

"Hey buddy, learn how to drive!" isaggressive and just plain rude.

If mommy and daddy didn't teach him manners and how to be polite, then let my sidearm silently force the issue.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BobCav wrote:
"Hey buddy, learn how to drive!" isaggressive and just plain rude.

If mommy and daddy didn't teach him manners and how to be polite, then let my sidearm silently force the issue.
OK, change it to, "Hey mister, don't you know you can't park there?"

Armed4Life

imported post

HankT.....A question in response to your question: Why would the sight of a legally holstered handgun affect his desire to politely exchange words with someone? (if, in fact, that is all he wanted to do)

molonlabetn

imported post

Isn't that the reason why the statement "And armed society is a polite society" rings true? Because it makes us think twice about the obvious or unforseeable consequences for unnecessary aggression?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
HankT.....A question in response to your question: Why would the sight of a legally holstered handgun affect his desire to politely exchange words with someone? (if, in fact, that is all he wanted to do)

That's pretty much what I was getting at, A4L. I'm getting that this is one of those situations where people will posit either "effect" or "no effect" depending on what point they want to make.

I would guess, and it is only a guess, but some people would be inhibited and would avoid, if they could,talking to someone with a gun. What follows from that is a guy who wanted to say, "Hey mister, didn't you know you can't park there?" and would ordinarily say it to any old guy in any old situation--but would not say it to a guy who he could see had a gun on his hip. That would be an effect.

It gets even more complicated,and interesting, if a guy wanted to be rude (but with a legit complaint and not violent). I mean, besides being rude and uncouth, would it really be a bad thing for some guy to cuss out a visiblyarmed driver who did something wrong/stupid?

mzbk2l

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Why are all these old (1 year+) threads being bumped?
Perhaps because there is a whole group of members here now who were not around a year ago to weigh in?

I'd rather see an old thread on a topic brought back up than a new thread started on the same topic.

hp-hobo

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
I was leaving Target open carrying today (as usual). Since it was 105 and the sun was beating down I told my wife to wait at the curb and I would bring the SUV to the shade to pick her and baby up. Pulled up to the curb with turn signal on.... The guy in the truck behind me wasn't happy with where I stopped and laid on the horn. I could see from the rear view mirror that he wanted to roll down the window and say something (how rude of me to make him have to drive around my vehicle!!!!). Anyway, he starts to pull around eye-balling me hard just as I'm getting out. He notices the gun and the hard look immediately turns into a "my bad" wave and he quickly drives away. Obviously, not a major altercation, but a practical example nonetheless.

It may also prove that people who arrogantly block traffic with their oversized SUV because the world revolves around them can get away with it because they're OCing. Is that the case? I don't know, I wasn't there. I do know that if a woman or child are so frail that they can't walk across a parking lot, barring a physical disability, maybe they should stay at home.

Just a thought.

madcapmag

imported post

I get slightly annoyed by those who decide to wait in no-parking areas outside of grocery stores, but I get more annoyed by the constant lambasting of SUV owners. Just because we're bigger than you don't mean we don't have feelings too. After all, my 4Runner only says that I lack self-confidence and have to make up for it, but I am smart enough to realize that a full sized Hummer might make it seems like I'm over-compensating. :DI suppose old folks should be locked in bingo halls until they reach that time. I know sometimes i wish it when I'm behind the one that decides to go 10 mph slower than traffic in the passing lane. But really, its usually not very hard to go around. Maybe do the evil eye, but really, how much time did you lose?

If someone says to me "Hey sir, you can't stop there", I'd treat it differently than "Hey @#@#$%&, you can %^&(&^ stop there #(&@#Y(&*!". OC-ing tends to bring the best out in me (almost like that mayo slogan). I know that I'm carrying and need to work extra hard because I'm already in a hole. Whether or not this is fair isn't the question. Its a fact about people's perception. Not breaking the laws is one way to be a responsible gun owner, but another way is to step down from confrontations. I would imagine none of us carry to intimidate, or else we'd all be strapping on a pair of .500 S&W (there's nothing wrong with that, but you might be an SUV owner if you do). So why let the gun speak when you can let your actions?

AbNo

imported post

HankT wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:
Anyway, he starts to pull around eye-balling me hard just as I'm getting out. He notices the gun and the hard look immediately turns into a "my bad" wave and he quickly drives away. Obviously, not a major altercation, but a practical example nonetheless.
I wonder what would have happened if he had a gun too?
I don't know, maybe he would've gone onto an internet forum someone to get a rise out of people?

Either that or, "Hey, what kinda gun is that? Oh really? Yeah, I don't have one of those yet, is it nice?" :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

demnogis wrote:
Holy crap I just read this on the F350 forums:
DubTooFo Said: Sheeeeeeit 2day I went to Target n dis mudda 'ucka cuts me of n parks in frunna my truck on da Xwalk. I's bout to tell dat ish move his ish out mah way an roll up on is azz wit my dubs but daaaaamn dat bish was packin! I wus like, "wadup, playa!" n split. I woulda schoold that 'sih if not fo my kids in ym truck. Krazy crackas.
Holy crap is right. Is that forum available in English? Good thing it apparently has kids it is teaching whatever language that is.

XD40coyote

imported post

I was just thinking about stuff like this today and yesterday, esp after reading at another forum about one guy's mother being harrassed by a crazy woman who ended up bumping the back of her car. The guy's mother gets out and the crazy lady starts assaulting her, until she realizes the mother is calling the cops on her cell. All this because the mother yelled at the crazy lady to slow down as people were using a crosswalk in front of a walmart. So I was thinking what if that had happened to me? The walmartI go to is in PA, andI just started carrying ( concealed so far). AllI need to do to be OCing is take this denim vest off. With a crazy like that bumping my car, I'd be taking my vest off, step out and hope she backs off when seeing my OC gun. I don't think being punched a couple times by a crazy lady is what I want happening to me.She might still come at me though, but no need for deadly force unless she starts at me with aknife, or pulls her own gun.

HoweverI was thinking of how coming out merely OCingcould be considered a sort of brandishing, and the nutty woman calls the cops and saysI threatened her with a gun, when all I was doing was OCing, totally legal to do, and I have a FL lisc that allows me to carry in the vehicle. Though I am sure when the cops start asking questions, the nut will continue talking nutty, and I will remain calm and cool, and the cops will be able to tell who is the instigator and liar. Witnesses will help very much too!

glocknroll

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
I was just thinking about stuff like this today and yesterday, esp after reading at another forum about one guy's mother being harrassed by a crazy woman who ended up bumping the back of her car. The guy's mother gets out and the crazy lady starts assaulting her, until she realizes the mother is calling the cops on her cell. All this because the mother yelled at the crazy lady to slow down as people were using a crosswalk in front of a walmart. So I was thinking what if that had happened to me? The walmartI go to is in PA, andI just started carrying ( concealed so far). AllI need to do to be OCing is take this denim vest off. With a crazy like that bumping my car, I'd be taking my vest off, step out and hope she backs off when seeing my OC gun. I don't think being punched a couple times by a crazy lady is what I want happening to me.She might still come at me though, but no need for deadly force unless she starts at me with aknife, or pulls her own gun.

HoweverI was thinking of how coming out merely OCingcould be considered a sort of brandishing, and the nutty woman calls the cops and saysI threatened her with a gun, when all I was doing was OCing, totally legal to do, and I have a FL lisc that allows me to carry in the vehicle. Though I am sure when the cops start asking questions, the nut will continue talking nutty, and I will remain calm and cool, and the cops will be able to tell who is the instigator and liar. Witnesses will help very much too!
Witnesses can hurt, too. Like the 3 friends she has in her car who swear you threatened to kill her. Eyewitnesses frequently lie like hell. If you are OC'ing, I wouldn't even get out of the car. Just call 911, report a TA, and wait for the cops to show. Always mention the "possible injuries". You don't know if she might be injured, so it wouldn't be a lie, and you get a quicker response.

mvpel

imported post

There's a situation in New Hampshire right now where a man was carrying concealed when he was threatened with an a$$-kicking by three young vandals, and he opened his jacket and suggested that wouldn't be a good idea for them, and now the cops have been crawling all over him about "criminal threatening" and the grandmother of one of the punks was trying to slap him with a restraining order last I heard.

Ridley Report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkU7qAxc3DY

So perhaps if he'd been carrying openly all along, rather than concealed going to unconcealed...?

Armed4Life

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:
I was leaving Target open carrying today (as usual). Since it was 105 and the sun was beating down I told my wife to wait at the curb and I would bring the SUV to the shade to pick her and baby up. Pulled up to the curb with turn signal on.... The guy in the truck behind me wasn't happy with where I stopped and laid on the horn. I could see from the rear view mirror that he wanted to roll down the window and say something (how rude of me to make him have to drive around my vehicle!!!!). Anyway, he starts to pull around eye-balling me hard just as I'm getting out. He notices the gun and the hard look immediately turns into a "my bad" wave and he quickly drives away. Obviously, not a major altercation, but a practical example nonetheless.

It may also prove that people who arrogantly block traffic with their oversized SUV because the world revolves around them can get away with it because they're OCing. Is that the case? I don't know, I wasn't there. I do know that if a woman or child are so frail that they can't walk across a parking lot, barring a physical disability, maybe they should stay at home.

Just a thought.

hp-hobo

Enjoy the single life because if your not, you will be soon.