• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a rifle, specifically in East Wenatchee?

BigDaddy5

imported post

I am curious about the legality of carrying a rifle in public in East Wenatchee. The reason I ask is because I am trying to get back into the military, and I would like to start hiking from my house to the range. It's about a 5 mile hike, one way. I would like to do so with both my AR-15 semi-auto and my Remington 700 bolt-action. I would be able to carry my Remington on my back, but this would mean I'd have to sling my AR either on my back or in the "low-ready" position. I would like to start doing this ASAP to ensure I am in top physical condition when I am able to get in.
The other reason I am curious is because my route would take me south on Sunset Highway for about a mile. Seeing as how this is a high-density area, I would expect some 911 calls if I were to carry a rifle in public. I would rather know in advance what the EWPD stance would be, before I were to do so.

I sent a very similar message to the EWPD to see what their official stance would be, but I figured they might not even know so I better ask here.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Legality of it? Not sure. I do think that carrying two riflesthe wayyoustated might get you the kind of attention that would keep you out of the service. If it were me, I would put them in cases or range bags and carry them that way.

Actually, if it were really me I would get my exercise some other way and drive to the range. :p

Or you could go extreme sniper and lowcrawl the entire way, dragging your bag behind you. 12 hours to get there, take your shot and 12 hours back. Repeat.

LoveMyCountry

just_a_car

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Legality of it? Not sure. I do think that carrying two riflesthe wayyoustated might get you the kind of attention that would keep you out of the service. If it were me, I would put them in cases or range bags and carry them that way.

+1!

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Or you could go extreme sniper and lowcrawl the entire way, dragging your bag behind you. 12 hours to get there, take your shot and 12 hours back. Repeat.
ROFL!!! Actually, if he's training to be a sniper, that's not a bad idea. But you forgot to mention he has to wait 24 hours at the range surviving on MRE's and his canteen, "not moving", then take the shot the next day... then go home. *grin*

Lew

imported post

And get used to relieving yourself in your trousers.

Seriously though, walking down the highway with an AR and a "sniper rifle" on your back...I don't think that's a good idea. What would you think if you were driving?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote:
I am curious about the legality of carrying a rifle in public in East Wenatchee. The reason I ask is because I am trying to get back into the military, and I would like to start hiking from my house to the range. It's about a 5 mile hike, one way. I would like to do so with both my AR-15 semi-auto and my Remington 700 bolt-action. I would be able to carry my Remington on my back, but this would mean I'd have to sling my AR either on my back or in the "low-ready" position. I would like to start doing this ASAP to ensure I am in top physical condition when I am able to get in.
The other reason I am curious is because my route would take me south on Sunset Highway for about a mile. Seeing as how this is a high-density area, I would expect some 911 calls if I were to carry a rifle in public. I would rather know in advance what the EWPD stance would be, before I were to do so.

I sent a very similar message to the EWPD to see what their official stance would be, but I figured they might not even know so I better ask here.

http://opencarry.org/ (Washington)

Washington is an open carry state. However, the practice is not common due to serial misinformation about the legality of it among law enforcement. There are significant efforts by OpenCarry.org members to educate the law enforcement agencies, you may see the progress on the state forum. You are also not allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your car unless you possess a concealed pistol license

-----------------------------------------

This is For Washington State

Terms defined.

Unlawful possession of firearms -- Ownership, possession by certain persons--Penalties.

Children -- Permissible firearm possession.

Possession by offenders.

Restoration of possession rights.

Carrying firearms.

Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

Concealed pistol license -- Application -- Fee -- Renewal.

Concealed pistol license--Reciprocity.

Concealed pistol license -- Revocation.

Delivery to ineligible persons.

Dealer deliveries regulated -- Hold on delivery.

Waiver of confidentiality.

Supplying information on persons purchasing pistols or applying for concealed pistol licenses.

Officials and agencies -- Immunity, writ of mandamus.

Forfeiture of firearms -- Disposition -- Confiscation.

Dealer licensing and registration required.

Dealer's licenses, by whom granted, conditions, fees -- Employees, fingerprinting and background checks -- Wholesale sales excepted -- Permits prohibited.

Firearms as loan security.

Out-of-state purchasing.

Purchasing by nonresidents.

Recordkeeping requirements.

Verification of licenses and registration -- Notice to federal government.

Alteration of identifying marks -- Exceptions.

Alien's license to carry firearms -- Exception.

Coyote getters.

Unlawful firearms -- Exceptions.

Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

Use of machine gun in felony -- Penalty.

Aiming or discharging firearms, dangerous weapons.

Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Dangerous weapons -- Penalty.

Dangerous exhibitions.

Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm -- Unlawful carrying or handling -- Penalty -- Exceptions.

Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities -- Penalty -- Exceptions.

State preemption.

Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

Information pamphlet.

Fireworks.

Surrender of weapons or licenses -- Prohibition on future possession or licensing.

Penalty.

NOTES:

Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle: RCW 77.15.460.
Explosives: Chapter 70.74 RCW.
Possessing a stolen firearm: RCW 9A.56.310.
Shooting firearm from, across, or along public highway: RCW 77.15.460.
Theft of a firearm: RCW 9A.56.300.

------------------------------------------

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

[2005 c 453 § 3; 1998 c 253 § 2; 1996 c 295 § 5; 1995 c 392 § 1; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 406; 1961 c 124 § 5; 1935 c 172 § 6; RRS § 2516-6.]

Notes:

Severability -- 2005 c 453: See note following RCW 9.41.040.

Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.

Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.

BigDaddy5

imported post

Some people will say the same thing about openly carrying a handgun.

I understand the cautious attitude towards it, which is why I contacted the police department first. But there was a time when carrying a rifle in public was no different then carrying a handgun. Just because it's not common anymore doesn't make it illegal, right? Isn't this website based on openly carrying a firearm?

Now, for clarity, I would be carrying my Remmy in a drag bag on my back, along with a ruck sack. This means that I wouldn't have any room to carry my AR.

Now, just because I don't openly carry a firearm regularly and I don't think it's a great idea to do so, doesn't mean I don't applaud the attempts for those who do. The same arguments you've made towards a rifle can be used towards a handgun. I figured that people on here would be supportive of someone pushing the envelope of open carry.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

We do support you. Read some of my posts and you'll see that I am VERY pro open-carry. My biggest concern for you would be the potential of police and/or court issues (even those that get dismissed) to keep you from re-enlisting. It could keep you from a pay-grade or security clearance.

If it weren't for that I would say to do whatever you like.

LoveMyCountry

BigDaddy5

imported post

I understand your concern, and believe me I have them as well. Fortunately, I already have my security clearance (expires in 2 years though). :p

I have contacted the EWPD about this, becausae I really don't want any issues. I mean, I realize this can be seen as a very political statement, but I really just want to do it so I can get back into carrying that gear: LBV, ruck, rifles, etc. I don't want to have any problems, but I don't want to do it if there will be a big issue.

I am already working out, so it's not like this would be a make or break excercise...it's just something I'd like to do.

As for the sniper comments...if the opportunity presented itself in the future, I would jump at it. But I have to get back in first!

As far as I know, however, carrying a rifle isn't illegal. I haven't found anything in the RCW's that ban it, but most of them address handguns.

BTW, I wasn't really directing my comments at anybody, just the general responses.

Lew

imported post

I was definitely just saying that it would be in your best interests to find an alternate solution. I mean, we all have lives and careers to weigh against our actions. I definitely support you and anything legal, however as others have said, WA is kind of in an in-between state right now. Further, I guess it was the comment that you might carry at "low-ready" that got me really worried. You can see the difference between a holstered weapon and that, obviously.

Good luck figuring it out and be sure to let us know if anything happens. Hopefully nothing!

Cheers.