• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts... Uncle Mike's Sidekick Ambidextrous Hip

Kingfish

imported post

I have a great UBG IWB holster for my Taurus 24/7 and it works great.

I will be getting a UBG pancake down the road, but for now.

What I need:

1) Car carry - Can use the clip to mount the holster.
2) Running into the gas station on the way home from work.
3) Occasional OC.
4) Budget

I am thinking of the Uncle Mike's Sidekick Ambidextrous Hip Holster.

[url]http://tinyurl.com/yuhfy2[/url]

Anyone use one of these?
How is the retention and how easy is the draw?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I own one, not the 'Uncle Mike's' marquee, but exactly the same thing, I picked it up at a show for 15 dollars.

It is made by liberty or something by that name.

It is very easy to convert, as advertised, the retention is okay, thumb break.

I am happy with it for what I paid, I probably would not pay over 25 for it at the store, but it does work very well for what I use it for.

For what you need it for I think you would be satisfied.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I have never liked them because they are thick and bulky, but -they will hold your weapon. Retention is the snap strap so it should hold very well. Speed of the draw will come with wearing in the holster and practice. I have found that they are so thick that they hold the weight of the weapon out farther from your belt allowing it to flop around. On the other hand they are cheap and darn near indestructible so they are great for rough or field use.

That was a wishy-washy answer wasn't it? :p

I have a box of holsters and am finding that what the "old times" say is true... you get what you pay for. :D

LoveMyCountry

Kingfish

imported post

So, I actually bought one and tried it all weekend (Wal-Mart, IHOP, rented a moving truck, local restaurant, a few other places.) It has worked out really well, I really actually like it. I carry a full size gun and it doesn't flop around at all. Once I get a real belt, it will hold it just fine. The thumb break is crisp and smooth. The holster insides allow for a very smooth draw. The gun will come on target as fast as I can get it there. The only drawback is that have to take belt off to put it on. Not a huge issue, but just an annoyance.

cREbralFIX

imported post

ICK! Are you crazy?

It will wear out the side, the belt loop is too wide, and the gun is not held tightly. The result is a gun that flops around. I know this from experience.

Save up some money and get something that holds the gun in such a way that the grip is presented in the same way every time.

Kingfish

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
ICK! Are you crazy?

It will wear out the side, the belt loop is too wide, and the gun is not held tightly. The result is a gun that flops around. I know this from experience.

Save up some money and get something that holds the gun in such a way that the grip is presented in the same way every time.

Nope, it works GREAT. It is like it was made for the gun. Does not flop around, does not move at all. Been carrying it for about a month. If it starts wearing out, I will get another one. Money is not the issue here, I truely love the holster.

Your experiences are defiantly different than mine. We may have different guns and that could make all the difference.

Going to be a moot point anyway because I am moving to Alabama soon (although perfectly legal, the sheriffs won't let you OC.)