• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC Convert

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I have not been OC'ing for very long; (1-2 weeks) and until today I had not had the chance to talk to someone for any length of time about OC. I have begun OC'ing at work where I interact with the public constantly. Today, a customer that has been doing business with my store on a regular basis for over a year stopped by to pick up an order. I was carrying my 9mm in a holster and he saw it when I came out from behind the counter to get his order. He immediately asked me why I was carrying a firearm when in Ohio you are "not allowed to carry a firearm in public places." I politely disagreed with him, and informed him that you are allowed to OC in many public places. He then wanted to know if I had a permit, because he was sure I could not carry without one. I told him that was true regarding concealed carry, but not true with OC. His final argument was that I couldn't carry because of the "No firearms" sign posted on the store door. I asked him to look again because we did not have any sign of that sort posted. I told him we are not anti-gun at my store. He looked and sure enough, like I said, there was not a sign. He was done arguing, and started asking questions. To make a long story short, he turned out to be an un-informed gun owner who told me he is going to start OC'ing as well. Hopefully this story will encourage anyone who is timid about carrying to start doing it on a regular basis.

JSK333

imported post

That's an interesting story. Was this in Canton then?

Do you think his line of questioning was out of concern for your safety from the law? Otherwise, he almost sounded like one of those gun owners who has a self-loathing complex... until you said he was planning to OC too!

I guess it just shows how a person's exterior doesn't always reveal what's inside!

gsh341

imported post

I get similar questions and incorrect statements concerning guns and carry lawsfrom people on a fairly regular basis. I handle them just about the same as you. Polite informative conversation. I may not make any converts, but I do try to get people thinking.

Good job. :D

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Why don't more people know about OC and CC. Simple, no news coverage. How do we get the news out to the general public? The only way I know is a letter to the editor and hope they publish it. Or word of mouth. The other day Iwas OC in my office. A delivery was being made. When the delivery man dropped off the delivery and turned around to get my signature he noticed my OC. He said "what's that for?" Before I could answer, he said "self protection." I said "you answered your own question." He said "I thought only cops could carry. I said "no, that's not the case." I asked if he watches the local news and has he ever saw a news story about your rights to OC and CC. Of course he said no. He was an older (ready to retire) black gentleman (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY). I asked him if he was on the internet and he said yes. I told him the google open carry ohio and conceal carry ohio and you will be suprised what you will find. He said he would do that. He also told me he fears young thugs and his government. I told him the only rights you have are the ones you are willing to fight for. He thanked me and said he was going to do his homework.

So, how do we get the word out?

Lthrnck

imported post

We need to start setting up booths at all these fairs and festivals... we set them up at gun shows... but that's like preaching to the choir... We need to get out there and let the rest of the people know.. I plan on trying to get something set up after I get my settlement from the City of Englewood.

Splat!!

imported post

I encounter the same while OCing..........Very few know that it is legal,even had some that were involved in local shoots that don't know.........:celebrate

Demarest

imported post

color of law wrote:
So, how do we get the word out?
I'm always armed for my protection. The reason I open carry over concealed pretty much always is to get the word out. It's slower than running a story on the news, but it works.