• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is how it begins...

molonlabetn

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
possibly a sign of TSHTF?

Well, this orderwould be best described as the s**t which the President can nowfling at the fan anytime he thinks it necessary. Whether or not it actually hits the fan is entirely up to the aim and forcefulness with which he throws it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I gave it a quick once-over. I didn't see anything that I could get worked up about. Near as I can tell, they're providing for continuity in gov't in the event of a nat'l emergency.

Can the President just declare an emergency over, say, immigration? Sure. Can he make a power-grab? Not likely. Too many opposition party faithful.

Lets say there is a big emergency, say a nuclear strike. OK, what might they do differently if there was no directive?

What if there is a really destructive nat'l emergency? Once things get really shaky, I don't think it will matter a whole lot whether there is a directive or not. Anybody holding the reins of power can pull a Chavez or Castro with or without a directive. All a directive might do is give himmore organization to do it more easily, assuming enough people in gov't are willing to go along with it. Then there are the states to contend with.

If a President really wanted to impress me, he'd include language to recognize and support the states and states rights.

Also, its not like the country will fall apart if the federal gov't isn't functioning. Governors can get things under control in their areas. In fact they'd better be ready to, given the effectiveness of the federal gov't with recent natural disasters. Off the cuff, I'd say strong state gov'ts are our best defense against agression. The bad guys may not give the state gov'ts sufficient significance. I can't imagine Virginia falling to its knees just because Norfolk or Washington suddenly becomes radioactive. Only Russia or China could irradiate all fifty state capitols.

I'ma whole lot more worried about the steady erosion of liberty, the increase of the police and nanny state, etc. than I am aboutthis directive.