Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Faux "No Firearms Permitted" Signs

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Saw this on THR. Looks like the stores are in Fairfax.

    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279940



    Faux "No Firearms Permitted" Signs Mentioned this in another thread but thought I should pass along the word.

    Last week I noted a new (and pretty official looking) "No firearms permitted" sign in the front door of the local Dicks. Now I thought this was really weird as they sell firearms and supplies.

    Since I know several of the guys there pretty well I thought I'd ask the manager about the sign. He was shocked, had no idea the sign was there and removed it immediately. He said (and I have reason to believe him as I've known him a little while) that nobody in the store would have put one up as there is no such policy.

    Last night I get a phone call from one of the salesguys (another cowboy action shooter) who told me that they found ANOTHER sign in the door again and then noticed identical signs in several of the nearby shops. When he asked the managers of the other places they knew nothing about the signs and all removed them.

    Now we're suspicious that -somebody- is going around posting these faux signs (maybe as a prank or something, I don't know).

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    What about security cameras?

    That is too strange for someone to do. I bet they will be back... if not there... someplace else.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    What about security cameras?

    That is too strange for someone to do. I bet they will be back... if not there... someplace else.
    Well I personally have little faith in security cameras, after often seeing the pictures they take of "unidentified" bank robbers.

    I think it is a safe bet that it will happen again. Is it a crime to post unauthorized signs like that?

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    Now we're suspicious that -somebody- is going around posting these faux signs (maybe as a prank or something, I don't know).
    I suspectsome anti-gun/rights zealots.

    Although I can't quite see what their logical message would be in doing that.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    What about security cameras?

    That is too strange for someone to do. I bet they will be back... if not there... someplace else.
    Well I personally have little faith in security cameras, after often seeing the pictures they take of "unidentified" bank robbers.

    I think it is a safe bet that it will happen again. Is it a crime to post unauthorized signs like that?
    Most stores have crappy cameras... A few are so nice!! But if you can see enough to recognise a neighboring store owner.....

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    Now we're suspicious that -somebody- is going around posting these faux signs (maybe as a prank or something, I don't know).
    I suspectsome anti-gun/rights zealots.

    Although I can't quite see what their logical message would be in doing that.
    Who said they were logical?

    They want to prevent us from carrying, they can't change the law so they do this.

  8. #8
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.
    Hmmm, so that means it could be pro-gun/rights zealots....

    Means, opportunity....and motive!

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    BobCav wrote:
    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.
    Hmmm, so that means it could be pro-gun/rights zealots....

    Means, opportunity....and motive!
    There you go again, thinking the worst about your own team. :celebrate

  10. #10
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    BobCav wrote:
    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.
    Hmmm, so that means it could be pro-gun/rights zealots....

    Means, opportunity....and motive!
    There you go again, thinking the worst about your own team. :celebrate
    Well, that's the way it is with the extremists on any side. Theydo goofy sh*t. Sometimes it's so gd goofy, you can't even tell what their point is.

    The extreme-Os on each side are just overhead. Can't live with 'em. Can't get rid of 'em.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    BobCav wrote:
    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.
    Hmmm, so that means it could be pro-gun/rights zealots....

    Means, opportunity....and motive!
    There you go again, thinking the worst about your own team. :celebrate
    Well, that's the way it is with the extremists on any side. Theydo goofy sh*t. Sometimes it's so gd goofy, you can't even tell what their point is.

    The extreme-Os on each side are just overhead. Can't live with 'em. Can't get rid of 'em.
    Tell us how you really feel about us Hank.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.
    If signage becomes an issue and I think that it has, based on comments here, try South Carolina's solution. The legally effective sign is precisely described in statute and quite burdensome.

    http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm

    SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

    (A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

    (B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

    (1) clearly visible from outside the building;

    (2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

    (3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

    (4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;

    (5) a diameter of a circle; and (6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.

    (C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

    (1) thirty-six inches wide by forty-eight inches tall in size;

    (2) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black three- inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

    (3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty-four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

    (4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety-six inches above the ground;

    (5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.
    I don't see Costco putting up three-feet by four-feet 'No Guns' signs though law allows and company policy seems to require such.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

  13. #13
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    BobCav wrote:
    Yet another reason to ignore those non-binding signs.
    Hmmm, so that means it could be pro-gun/rights zealots....

    Means, opportunity....and motive!
    There you go again, thinking the worst about your own team. :celebrate
    Well, that's the way it is with the extremists on any side. Theydo goofy sh*t. Sometimes it's so gd goofy, you can't even tell what their point is.

    The extreme-Os on each side are just overhead. Can't live with 'em. Can't get rid of 'em.
    Tell us how you really feel about us Hank.
    I'm not referring to what you call "us," LW, I think. I'm talking about people in the tails. Pretty much like this:





    Say, about 5% of the total, the people who are in the red portions. Those are the extremists and dullardsthat I refer to.The greater bulk of the distribution is fine. They do and say relatively 'normal' stuff.

    The people in the tails, those are the ones that do and say goofy sh*t. :shock:

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Hold on thar Baba-luie!

    That graph is from a University of British Columbia (UBC) Biology 300: Biostatisticsclass.

    To find out where a pic is hosted, you mouse over the pic, right click and down to select "properties". Then you'll see the address of where it's hosted, in this case:
    http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~whitlock/...le/Image19.gif

    HankT, are you a Canadian college student attending University of British Columbia studying under Dr. Michael Whitlock, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology ?http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~whitlock/bio300/

    Kind of odd that you would have access to, or even be aware that graph was buried all the way in there without some kind of firsthand knowledge. Perhaps that's one of the courses you've taken that taught you about "stats"

    Just trying to get to know you better!



  15. #15
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    I prefer pie charts myself.... or better yet, screw the chart, just give me some pie!

    :celebrate
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  17. #17
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    The people in the tails, those are the ones that do and say goofy sh*t. :shock:
    I think you are looking for the term outliers. An outlier is an observation in a data set that is numerically distant from the rest of the data and which may belong to a different population than the rest of the data set.


    John - Surfing the outlying reaches of 3 sigma


    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Shotgun wrote:
    I prefer pie charts myself.... or better yet, screw the chart, just give me some pie!

    :celebrate
    Apple, OK.




  19. #19
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    jpierce wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    The people in the tails, those are the ones that do and say goofy sh*t. :shock:
    I think you are looking for the term outliers. An outlier is an observation in a data set that is numerically distant from the rest of the data and which may belong to a different population than the rest of the data set.


    John - Surfing the outlying reaches of 3 sigma


    Thanks, John, but not really. I'm referring to members of the same population--but who are more than 2 standard deviations from the mean (on some construct/measure). These would be extremists in my references. Just because an observation is more thand 2 SD doesn't mean it is an outlier. (Outlier determination, btw, is a rather controversial subject in and of itself. There are rules therefore andmany arguments about it.)

    But you bring up a good point, for sure. I do not mean outliers.
    BTW, do you mean the reaches of six sigma?

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Hold on thar Baba-luie!

    That graph is from a University of British Columbia (UBC) Biology 300: Biostatisticsclass.

    To find out where a pic is hosted, you mouse over the pic, right click and down to select "properties". Then you'll see the address of where it's hosted, in this case:
    http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~whitlock/...le/Image19.gif

    HankT, are you a Canadian college student attending University of British Columbia studying under Dr. Michael Whitlock, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology ?http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~whitlock/bio300/

    Kind of odd that you would have access to, or even be aware that graph was buried all the way in there without some kind of firsthand knowledge. Perhaps that's one of the courses you've taken that taught you about "stats"

    Just trying to get to know you better!

    ahem....

  21. #21
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    (Outlier determination, btw, is a rather controversial subject in and of itself. There are rules therefore andmany arguments about it.)

    But you bring up a good point, for sure. I do not mean outliers.
    BTW, do you mean the reaches of six sigma?
    Ah yes ... I have whiled away many a pleasant afternoon arguing over whether or not to drop outliers. The answer though, always came back the same ... which course of action supports our thesis the best

    And yes ... I meant to say six sigma. I was caught up the numerical rapture of 3 standard deviations and my fingers typed of their own accord.

    Wow ... who would have thought we could take this thread about fake gun signs and turn it into a discussion of statistical analysis and management of process quality?

    This is a new record ... dancing banana time :celebrate

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Cool....lol... Did I mention I'm my Divisional LRQA ISO Certified Quality Manager and a member of the ASQ?

    Root Cause Analysis is our friend!

    I put the "anal" in analysis!!

  23. #23
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    jpierce wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    (Outlier determination, btw, is a rather controversial subject in and of itself. There are rules therefore andmany arguments about it.)

    But you bring up a good point, for sure. I do not mean outliers.
    BTW, do you mean the reaches of six sigma?
    Ah yes ... I have whiled away many a pleasant afternoon arguing over whether or not to drop outliers. The answer though, always came back the same ... which course of action supports our thesis the best
    But of course. The arguments in statistics are not really structurally different from that of other fields and processes, are they?

    That's because the stakes are always so high....

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Hold on thar Baba-luie!

    That graph is from a University of British Columbia (UBC) Biology 300: Biostatisticsclass.

    To find out where a pic is hosted, you mouse over the pic, right click and down to select "properties". Then you'll see the address of where it's hosted, in this case:
    http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~whitlock/...le/Image19.gif

    HankT, are you a Canadian college student attending University of British Columbia studying under Dr. Michael Whitlock, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology? http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~whitlock/bio300/

    Kind of odd that you would have access to, or even be aware that graph was buried all the way in there without some kind of firsthand knowledge. Perhaps that's one of the courses you've taken that taught you about "stats"

    Just trying to get to know you better!

    AHEM....

  25. #25
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Cool....lol... Did I mention I'm my Divisional LRQA ISO Certified Quality Manager and a member of the ASQ?
    Very impressive, BobCav. That's important and highly useful stuff.

    Analysis, root cause or other types, is critically important in our lives.

    Good analysis, I mean.



    Bad analysis is, well, bad.Most often it is counter-productive. Sometimes, it is quite dangerous. :?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •