• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Luzerne co.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

SAT 8/11/07
Wychocks Beer Dist., RT309, Wilkes-Barre.
Weekly beer run.
Older gentleman at counter asked me what I did for a living (after looking directly at my sidearm). I answered to which we discussed a mutual interest, left him my card and went about by business.

Cracker Barrel, 2320 Highland Park Blvd, Wilkes-Barre
Place was packed. We originally intended to go elsewhere but were not going to wait for a table (I hate going out on Sat night) so after checking a couple otherplaces we decided to 'slum it' at CB :D

10 mins after being seated I see the host talking to what I assume is the/or 'a' manager type (he was wearing shirt & tie rather than the wait staff uniforms). He walks towards our table, on my strong side which was hanging out in all it's glory ;)
I thought to myself: "Oh boy, here it comes. The "no weapons allowed encounter".
Manager gets to table and says "excuse me, have you folks been waited on yet?" to which we replied in the affirmative and he said" good! enjoy your meals" as he waved and departed.
HA! Had you all prepped for some drama didn't I? LOL
Anyway, place is busy, didn't notice any concern or even a single double take.

Wal*Mart, Highland Park Blvd, Wilkes-Barre
Walmart twice in a year is a new record for me. Wife wants something that walmart should have and since it's late that is all that is open. Since we are right next door we decide to go get it while we're already out.
Wal-Mart at 10PM on a Sat never ceases to amaze me.
Got a few looks in there, every time from folks I would call dubious looking at best.

===========================

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Thurs. 8/16​

Had an appointment in filthadelphia today. So I had the chance to OC in the suburbs.

On the way back took last exit on the extension before the turnpike. "norristown"?

Ruby Tuesdays. Norristown area.
5:pm. Hadn't eaten all day, had to refuel myself for the ride home. Plus it killed some rush-hour traffic time.
Place was busy, 2 out of 5 cars in lot were NJ. No issues. Caught one fellow staring.

Rite Aid, back home in Mtn Top.

Neighborhood walk, to walk off all the driving.

Was sporting the dressier Milt Sparks cordovan OWB and Ted Blocker belt rather than my usual SERPA.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

This last weekends exposure:

Fri 8/17

Turkey Hill, Mtn Top
Milk run

Subway, Mtn Top.
Wife didn't feel like cooking so she sent me to pick up ;)

BP, Mtn Top
Nacho chip run

SAT 8/18
Wychocks Beer Dist., Mtn Top.
Weekly beer run.

SUN 8/19
Mr. Z's grocery, Mtn Top.
W/wife and kids. In there long enough to thoroughly fill two shopping carts. :rolleyes:

Movie Gallery, Mtn Top (Mr.Z's plaza)
Browsed for a movie for tonight as son browsed for a video game.

BP, Mtn Top
Soda for the movie. (Soda is a bit of a treat in our house so it's rarely "in stock")

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

FRI 8/24/07

Pennstar Bank, Mountain Top.
Ran out of deposit slips so I had to go in instead of using the drive-through.
G23 in Milt Sparks OWB. No looks, no 'panic button', no nothing. Workers know me, know my business, made small talk with woman at counter.

Turkey Hill, Mtn Top. Next to the bank.
Had a Cherry Coke craving so went into TH after the bank. Busy Friday afternoon, noticed at least two people double-taking/staring. Maybe not, OC makes me watch peoples reactions more than normal, but they seemed to be staring/reacting to the gun.

Wychocks beer distributer, Mtn Top
Weekly beer run.

Wines and Spirits, Mtn Top. Mr.Z's plaza
Wife wanted Wine... Wife gets wine :)

Tony's Pizza, Mtn Top
Too hot to cook says the wife ;)

Hadley

imported post

Hey PA Patriot. I thought of you yesterday as I drove through Mountain Top. I have relatives near the spring water plant. Any way The wife and I OC to Fantastic Sams in Wilkesbarre, near Wegmanns for two hair cuts. Mine turned out not so fantastic. Then to Haystacks restaurant for a good dinner. Finally gas at the Sheetz. A couple of looks but no bad comments.

The "stylists" at Fantastic Sams were actually interested in my firearm and why I carry. They are still nervous about that Mountain Top looney who attacked women in a salon, with a hammer. A quick look around the salon revealed the lack of security this store has. I made several recommendations and explained that concealed or open carry is just another layer of security to consider.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Long overdue update:

Just a list off the top of my head, from the last couple weeks, in no particular order:

K-Mart. Rt 309 in Wilkes-Barre.

Marc's Tatooing

Wychocks Beer distributer, Mountain Top

Wegmans Grocery. Arena hub, Wilkes-Barre

Barber shop, Mountain Top (couple times)

III Guys Pizza, Mtn Top

La Tolteca Mexican Restaurant, Mundy St. Wilkes-Barre
Decent place. Very friendly

Turkey Hill, Mtn Top

D&R Sports Center, Nanticoke

Aldi (cheapo grocery place), Kingston, PA
Lots of upstanding citizens looking people in there... :rolleyes:

Tony's pizza, Mtn Top

Luzerne Co. Courthouse, Wilkes-Barre.
Jury Duty....
Only place I had any 'issues'. :rolleyes:
Walk in, stand in line. Deputy doesn't notice OC G23 when I said (pointing to lockers) I need one of those.
I get a confused brook trout stare in return. I then clarify "I need to secure my sidearm", still pointing to lockers.
Him: "Hold on, stay right there."
Me: "OK"
waiting about 30 seconds while he speaks to other guard... Not sure if about me or just coincidence.
He returned and asks me to step over as he gets paper/receipt card from locker.
Him: "you an officer".
Me: "No"
Him: pause"Personal use?"
me: "yeah"
Him: It's recommended that you leave that in the car, for future.."
me: puzzled look "Well, officers do not need to disarm, I do. And it's not secure in the car, in my opinion..... Those lockers are there by law, for people like me."
--I expected him to be either speechless or hostile.--
Him: "Well, we would appreciate it if you left it in the car."
Me: speechless :)
Next day he smiled and got my locker ready upon seeing me come through the door :D

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

FRI 9/14/07

Dollar General, Old AMES plaza, Wilkes-Barre
Wife needed kids party favors or something... boring. They do have a big candy section though :D

Freakin WAL*MART, Again! Yes, my wife dragged me in that place yet again. Friday nght, 8PM. Place is absolutely crazy
Had a good encounter. Was looking for something in the sporting goods while she was off getting a "potty seat" or somesuch for the little one :)
Guy next to me made a comment about the in-line muzzle loaders to which I said something in return. He agreed and procedes to motion towards my G23 and ask what I'm carrying. Turns out he is well aware of the legality of OC and mentioned that he wished more people would do it in more places (like wal*mart) :D
Gave him a PA Gun Rights flyer and we chatted for a while about training and such. We may have some more company OC'ing in wilkes-barre soon ;)

Super KING Chinese Buffet, Wilkes-barre (by Wal*Mart)​

SAT 9/15/07

Exxon, Mtn Top
Needed propane tanks filled. Expensive diesel Volkswagon pulls up to diesel pumps and older couple stares and talks while he is pumping diesel. I'm standing at the propane shed waiting. Guess they thought I was robbing the propane shack :/

Wines and Spirits state store, Mtn Top.
Mmmm... booze :) Whiskey sours tonight!

Turkey Hill, Mtn Top.
Chips 'n Dip to go with the whiskey sours -Yummy.

Wychocks Beer Dist, Mtn Top

Rite-Aid, Mtn Top​

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Lot's of the same-old, same-old over the last couple weeks. My usual weekly errands, etc...

Today we took a day off to take the kids to Claws 'n Paws game farm and hit some new territory in Hamlin and Hawley.

Thurs. 10/4​

Turkey Hill, Mtn Top.

Pennstar Bank, Mtn Top.

Hunter's Gallery, Hamlin
I needed a bowstring. Pretty good store. They have a DART archery range too. Wife bought the 5yr old some huntin' pants since he insists he is going hunting with dad this year :)

Some family restaurant in Hamlin

Claws 'N Paws, Hawley.
Neat place to take the kids for an afternoon.

Produce stand/market on Rt 590, Hawley.

Luigi's Pizza, Mtn Top

---Long day.

Attire: 5.11 shorts, instructor belt, OD-ish SS button shirt. S&W 19 2.5" in Bianchi Accumold thumbreak.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Just for fun ;)

giraffe.jpg

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Over the last week there has, again, been more of the same old, same old.
Beer store, China Buffet, gas stations, Bank, grocery store, etc, etc

There were some new places though.
Off the top of my head:

A&R Hardware, Mtn Top

Salvation Army thrift store, Wilkes-Barre. (you need a gun in there...:rolleyes: )

J&S Sports, Rt. 309 Wilkes-Barre

JnD Archery, Hazleton

Wendy's, Hazleton

Attire: Varied. Usualy shorts or jeans w/t-shirt or button down shirt.

Well, maybe some others that I can't remember. Been a very long day.

Steve in PA

imported post

I have the same "man bag" but I use it for carrying all my geocaching gear.

I think you mean J & S Sporting Goods (not J & R), which is where I buy all my powder, primers, hunting & fishing licenses, etc. Three brothers own and run the store. I always get top notch service from them. I've bought several guns from them, but since getting my C&R License.......I can get them delivered to my front door :)

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Got an ignorant comment yesterday.

Had to go to Harrisburg today so I OC'ed, of course.

As I was gassing up at a Sunoco on RT 15 between Hbrg and Enola this black guy, that was about 3 times my size, and not just fat, he was a big SOB (and fat)
Anyway, he's on the other side of the pump and staring at me. I smile and keep pumping.
He finishes up and as heis getting into his mini-van I hear him say to whomever was inside (a little loader than he needed to) something to the effect of " Is society that bad that we need to start carrying guns around..." Or something to that effect (may not be exact quote.
I couldn't help but chuckle and think "Stupid myrmidon"

Anyway, other than that, no issues in Hburg. Was in numerous places, I'll elaborate later.