• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Luzerne co.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

This is a thread about my experiences while openly carrying a firearm in NEPA.
I got the idea from Skuggi and his thread documenting his experiences in McKees Rocks area
Skuggi's thread

On to the details:

A little history. Before tonight, I have OC'd in many places throughout NE PA including the the following local businesses in the last 2 weeks:
Gas station in mtn top many times.
Tony's pizza
mtn top true-value hardware.
Subway in mtn top
Burger King
of course numerous times while hunting and to-and-from as well as other trips like to the range, etc.

Tonight I ventured into Wilkes-Barre and we can add the following to the open carry success list.
Circuit City
Lowes
Home Depot​
All non-events. Not a single comment and only one possible double-take type of "look"
Was in lowes over an hour and asked assistance from two employees. One for PVC fittings and one for white melmanine (sp?) shelving.

I was wearing OD green cargo shorts with a very light creme colored t-shirt. Nearly white.
I was wearing my Glock 23 in a black blackhawk SERPA (level II retention kydex) OWB holster. (just got this holster yesterday, BTW, specifically for OC. I like my leather but I feel more comfortable with the level II retention the SERPA affords while open carrying)
My surefire and extra magazine/pouch on weak side.

The black G23 & black holster stand out like a sore thumb against the creme shirt so I was not being subtle.

I only noticed one double-take type of reaction. That was in lowes. Some dude, looked like he wasn't sure he saw correctly and when I looked his way he just went on his biz like nothing was out of the ordinary.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Was away for a couple weeks.

Today we add the following:

Mountain Top:
Wychocks (beer distributer)
Mr. Z's (grocery) Township PD car at pharmacy facing my way on the way in, no response.

Other:
Convenience store at 118 and rt 29 intersection in Sweet valley
Advanced Arms in Pittston (doesn't count cause I know Chris but it is main St in Pittston)

Wilkes-Barre:
TGI Fridays, Chris, his wife, my son and I went for late dinner after he closed. Had conversation about guns with waiter. Conversation arose after Chris mentioned owning a gun shop, not due to comment or question about my sidearm. No mention of my sidearm that was clearly visible by all on aisle side of seat closest to door/hostess podium.
progress.gif

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

[align=center]Thurs. 6/28
[/align]
Wife finally dragged me out for some long overdue household shopping this evening.

Home Depot, RT309 in Wilkes barre: Went in for area rug, didn't have what we wanted. Bought vertical blinds and some misc.

Lowes, Wilkes-Barre: No good area rugs either...

Wal*Mart, Wilkes-Barre: Cart full of misc household, kids wanted a video game, some short sleeve shirts.

Attire: Tan 5.11 tactical shorts. Casual patterned button-up ss shirt, hiking boots. G23 in BH SERPA. We spent an hour and a half in Wal Mart.

Only double takes or whispering I saw was in Wal Mart from some kids. Cashiers (one in electronics and the one up front) were both extra friendly :cool:

30 cal slut

imported post

nice. i've OC'd in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with no problems in the major areas (Wyoming Mall, etc) but haven't gone into a restaurant OC'ing yet.

will be passing through shortly, will make it a point to OC when gassing up.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Another uneventful day OC'ing.

Home Depot, WIlkes-Barre:
Had to return the vertical blinds bought in the previous OC report. NOTE: NEVER let your wife measure anything. Do it yourself. ;)
No looks noticed.

Ollies Outlet, Wilkes-Barre:
15% off everything in the store. Wife had to look at every isle/shelf. We were in there well over an hour.
No looks noticed.

Mountain Freeze, Mountain Top:
Not a hot day but ice cream is a holiday treat, right?
One couple was in their Tahoe (newer one) parked next to our Tahoe(older one) The picnic benches were soaking wet so we were standing outside our truck to eat our treat. The guy next to us stared several times. I saw him shrug his shoulders while looking at me as if he was unable to answer the ladies inquiry. They always looked away when spotted.... Whatever, guess I gave them something interesting to talk about on INDEPENDENCE DAY :)

Attire: Tan cargo shorts, blue ss button up casual shirt. Hikers. Glock 23 in SERPA, spare mag in kydex pouch.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Sat. 7/7/07
Ruby Tuesday's, Wilkes-Barre:
Went for my belated b-day dinner w/wifey and kids.
Place was busy, no looks noticed. Couple across from us was definitely unable to stop looking for a while though :) They didn't act like they had issue, just curious I suspect.

Sam's Club, Wilkes-Barre:
Kid running our check out looked about 10 times while we were waiting in line. He was very polite when it was our turn...

KMart, Wilkes-Barre:
Nada, just a bunch of folks looking for bargains...

Mountain Freeze, Mountain Top:
Sat at picnic tables to eat our ice cream. We sat at the table next to a couple that was definitely "discussing" us while we we were in line. Gentleman looked over a couple times, I smiled and nodded once. He returned the gesture.

Pretty uneventful, as it should be.

Attire: 5.11 tactical shorts, blue ss vertical stripped button-up shirt. Hikers. Glock23 in serpa, spare mag & 6P.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

7/9/07​

Wife said it was too hot to cook and made me go get take-out.

Pennstar Bank, Mountain Top at the Turkey Hill rt309.
Outside/lobby MAC machine Busy place, waited in line...

Tin-Tin's, rt309 Wilkes-Barre.
Best chi-com take-out south of WB city. :)

Desert camo cargo shorts & blue t-shirt. G23 in serpa w/all the trimmins (spare mag/6P) .. yada.. yada... what does it matter? No one pays me no attention anyway ;)

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

SUN, 7/15/07​

Sharon's Sub's, Mountain Top:
Took the family out for Pizza only to find the pizza place closed (unscheduled)
So we went to Sharons instead. No problems. Older gentleman came over to our booth while he was waiting for his take-out to talk to the kids.

Mr. Z's Grocery, Mtn Top.
Since we were out and needed ice cream cones for our desert we stopped for some shopping.

Attire: Ratty old OD green BDU shorts. Blue patterned henly t-shirt. Hikers, Glock23 in SERPA.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

TUES 7/17/07

Taking walks with wife, two kids and two dogs regularly now.
Tonight I OC'd all over Fairview Heights (older developement in Mtn Top) definately well-to-do part of town.
Shorts, t-shirt and G23 in SERPA.

No problems. Kids on bikes, other people walking, said hello to all of them. A couple waves from people on their porches, driveways as we passed.

vwtopdog

imported post

That's pretty cool. I wish I had the guts to OC in WB area. I go to work at Moosic every Friday. Unfortunately, the company I work for have a very strict rule about firearm. Employees are not even allow to have firearm in their vehicle while park on company ground. It's automatic termination if they found firearm in your vehicle. I am pretty good friends with the site manager. He told me I could do it as long as I don't tell anyone. I still wouldn't take a chance.

Good for you Pa. Patriot.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the comments, vwtopdog.
It doesn't really take "guts" to OC. I think it is more confidence. I've studied the statutes, case law, others experiences and stories and as such I know I am legal and have confidence in what I am doing.

Welcome to the board! :)

30 cal slut

imported post

hey guys - anyone open carry in that chinese buffet on the main strip in W-B? (near wally-world / wyoming valley mall?)

i cc'd there a few weekends ago, but judging from all the stares i was getting at my sigpro vest, i might as well have been oc'ing there.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
hey guys - anyone open carry in that chinese buffet on the main strip in W-B? (near wally-world / wyoming valley mall?)

i cc'd there a few weekends ago, but judging from all the stares i was getting at my sigpro vest, i might as well have been oc'ing there.

The new one on Mundy street?
Or the old one on 309 (where Wal*Mart used to be)?

I've not been to the new one but will gladly OC there.
Wife wants me to help with the weekly grovery shopping at Wegmans so maybe we can eat there on the way. Or if you want to meet up for a meet-n-greet some night/weekend let me know.

As for the old one, on 309, I have not returned there since around 2001 when I got sick after eating there :8

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

SUN 7/22/07​

Staples, Wilkes-Barre.
Wife needed homeschool supplies. Pleasant stop.

Circuit City, Wilkes-Barre.
Picked up a RCA mini video recorder. Handy for quick clips of the kids and to have in case I get hassled.

Super China Buffet, Wilkes-barre (by Wal*Mart)
At 30 Cal's request I OC'ed in the buffet tonight. It is right down the street from where we were going grocery shopping and we love chinese food anyway.
Place was packed when we got there. Good chinese, first time I've been there.
30 Cal, here's the proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIDGjQmvWIM
:)
Wegmans Grocery, Wilkes-Barre.
WB TWP police car out front, don't think they saw me though.
Super shopping day, probably about two hours in there.
Wife was screwing around with the new video camera. Here's a clip of the lone OC'er in wegmans :)
Got a couple dirty looks from some veggie-head looking couple in store. They seemed very perplexed... Whatever. Everyone else was very friendly.

Attire: See video

30 cal slut

imported post

Pa Patriot - the video is a nice touch!

p.s. now, if you could tell my why nobody was touching the sushi-like substance offered near the dessert table - you will have truly provided a huge public service!

lol.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

SAT 7/28/07​

Daytime
Wychock's (beer dist), Mountain Top:
Beer run

Rite-Aid, Mtn Top:
Had to pick up a camera battery & Misc.

Turkey-Hill, Mtn-Top:

Attire: crappy shop clothes :)

Evening
III Guys Restaurant, Mtn Top:
Met up with a fellow board member who will remain nameless unless he butt's in :)
With families in tow. Great Pizza and wings!
Did get what I would call a semi-horrified look when we first got their from the woman in the booth next to where we were pulling tables together to accommodate all of us. They didn't leave running and screaming and didn't notice any more looks from them so I guess it was a false alarm...

Mountain Freeze, Mtn Top.
Three Slushies please!

Attire. Cargo shorts, black t-shirt.

SUNDAY.
Haircut. Zzzzzzzzz.......

Best regards,
Pa. Patriot

Founder: www.paopencarry.org
danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

THURS 8/2/07​

R/C Theatres, Wilkes-Barre City. (Northhampton and Main).
Took my son to see Transformers after work.

McDonalds, Wilkes-Barre (RT309).
Post movie dinner, well for my son (I hate fast food) .
Went outside so my son could play on playground and not even a second glance. Moms, kids everywhere.

After I got home we took the dogs for a walk quick before it got too dark.
Unmarked Twp police car passed by.