Thread: Senate Passes Bill

Post imported post

If passed, the bill would decrease the cost of such permits for eligible persons from $25 to $1
    http://www.theweeklypost.com/story.l...17b1eab160611a

Post imported post

The what?

This makes no sense. Alabama already has some of the cheapest permits for any state.

<disclaimer>That statement is not based on actual fact. Since the issue time in AL is only 1 year it might be cheaper in alot of other states.</disclaimer>

Post imported post

You're right, $25 was already cheap compared to most of the States.

My PA non-res was $19 when I got it a few years ago. Most are $50+, from what I've seen.

Post imported post

JSK333 wrote:
    You're right, $25 was already cheap compared to most of the States.

My PA non-res was $19 when I got it a few years ago. Most are $50+, from what I've seen.
    WA was $60 for four(or more) years last I checked.

NH is $20 for about 4 years.

Even the expensive Texas is $75 for 5 years now.

Most of the "expensive ones are for several years, 4 being typical.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
    If passed, the bill would decrease the cost of such permits for eligible persons from $25 to $1
    This is a bill concernig one county AND for seniors......
    FORT PAYNE—A proposal to reduce the cost of a DeKalb County pistol permit for persons age 62 or older
    Not that I "have an issue" with the bill but, they could set the cost at $1 for EVRYONE, or any non-descriminatory subsection thereof, with local laws......unless I'm missing something.
    Section 13A-11-75
    License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.
    The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.

Post imported post

I honestly don't see why there should be any fee. We already pay tons of taxes and shouldn't even need permits in the first place.... oh well

State Researcher

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
    I honestly don't see why there should be any fee. We already pay tons of taxes and shouldn't even need permits in the first place.... oh well
    +100

State Researcher

Post imported post

Well I suppose there is a lot of back and forth bs, at least in Indiana here with getting a permit, mine was delayed 14 weeks from application to getting it....(they were busy)

But it was only 35 for 4 years.

Indiana now offers a lifetime for 125 for current holders of a indiana license or for 175 if you do not have a current, valid permit... I think it is pretty resonable, if you plan on staying in the state for some time or using it for reciprocity, although indiana doesnt have much

Post imported post

Yeah, I've been looking around at other state permits and Alabama is actually pretty high (depends on county). Other states might be 50-150USD, but they normally issue for 3-5 years...

Post imported post

From the Alabama site...

Section 13A-11-75 License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
    (Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)

State Researcher

Post imported post

kingfish wrote:
    From the Alabama site...

Section 13A-11-75 License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person
    Didn't you read the thread? .......exact info was already posted.

Post imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
    kingfish wrote:
    From the Alabama site...

Section 13A-11-75 License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person
    Didn't you read the thread? .......exact info was already posted.
    Oops....

State Researcher

Post imported post

kingfish wrote:
    Oops....
    LOL......Mama always said "listen more and talk less...you'll learn more"...never have been too good at it myself.

Post imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
    kingfish wrote:
    Oops....
    LOL......Mama always said "listen more and talk less...you'll learn more"...never have been too good at it myself.
    Well, I was assuming the discussion was about a proposed bill...Just didn't read close enough.

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
    We . . . shouldn't even need permits in the first place.... oh well
    I'm a firm believer that the second amemendment is the only permit we need!

Post imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    We . . . shouldn't even need permits in the first place.... oh well
    I'm a firm believer that the second amemendment is the only permit we need!
    Me too, but I'm afraid that the fuzz disagree...

Post imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
    Malum Prohibitum wrote:
    This is a bill concernig one county AND for seniors......
    FORT PAYNE—A proposal to reduce the cost of a DeKalb County pistol permit for persons age 62 or older
    Not that I "have an issue" with the bill but, they could set the cost at $1 for EVRYONE, or any non-descriminatory subsection thereof, with local laws......unless I'm missing something.
    Section 13A-11-75
    License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.
    The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
    Anybody have the actual text of the bill?