Thread: traveling out of country

Post imported post

I'm I allowed to take a firearm with me out of the country? if so what is the correct way of doing it? I plan on calling taca to see what their policy is.

I'm traveling to El Salvador. My only problem is I don't know what their laws are in the country. I have trying to serch the net the past few days but I can't find nothing on firearm laws for other countries :X

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Call the embassy and ask them to direct you to the source. This is different than asking them the law.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Joxer wrote:
    I'm I allowed to take a firearm with me out of the country? if so what is the correct way of doing it? I plan on calling taca to see what their policy is.

I'm traveling to El Salvador. My only problem is I don't know what their laws are in the country. I have trying to serch the net the past few days but I can't find nothing on firearm laws for other countries :X
    Wow, well if oc is legal, and you do it, you have more balls than I do.

I would be afraid to be caught dead in a prison system outside of the united states.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Call the embassy and ask them to direct you to the source.* This is different than asking them the law.
    Absolutely the correct advice. Also check with the State Department.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Here is the Consular Information Sheet for El Salvador from the US Department of State

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1109.html

There are several more links in the document that may lead you to an answer.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Was beat to it....I hate dial-up

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    Here is the Consular Information Sheet for El Salvador from the US Department of State

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1109.html

There are several more links in the document that may lead you to an answer.

Thank you for the link. I guess I won't be taking anything with me unless I want to get 3 - 5 years in jail

Post imported post

One of my roomates when I was working on my BA is a guy named Alfredo, who grew up in El Salvador with a hunter for a father, so I asked him about what you need to do to have a firearm there. He said that you need a license to carry a gun openly only in San Salvador, the capital, and that a foreigner would never get one (and that while it isn't illegal to carry a gun outside the capital, you'd have to be a "brave f---ing guy" to try it in front of the criminals who have bigger guns than you do). He said that if you can provide some sort of need, such as hunting, they'll give you a temporary importation permit at an El Salvadorean consulate in the US for a period of time, but if you did that you'd probably need to grease some palms at Immigration and again if any local cops felt like hitting you up for a bribe.

The other thing you can do is get to El Salvador without a gun and then rent one from a local security agency for a few bucks a day; you can get a temporary "Licencia para la seguridad personal" if you can prove that you're a likely target for crime, such as traveling with a child and being worried about him/her being kidnapped for ransom (which is a big problem for all tourists). His big advice, though, was to talk to a consular or embassy official and not someone at the US State department... he says chances are that they can work something out for you if you don't mind it taking a while to get it done.

Post imported post

denwego wrote:
    One of my roomates when I was working on my BA is a guy named Alfredo, who grew up in El Salvador with a hunter for a father, so I asked him about what you need to do to have a firearm there. He said that you need a license to carry a gun openly only in San Salvador, the capital, and that a foreigner would never get one (and that while it isn't illegal to carry a gun outside the capital, you'd have to be a "brave f---ing guy" to try it in front of the criminals who have bigger guns than you do). He said that if you can provide some sort of need, such as hunting, they'll give you a temporary importation permit at an El Salvadorean consulate in the US for a period of time, but if you did that you'd probably need to grease some palms at Immigration and again if any local cops felt like hitting you up for a bribe.

The other thing you can do is get to El Salvador without a gun and then rent one from a local security agency for a few bucks a day; you can get a temporary "Licencia para la seguridad personal" if you can prove that you're a likely target for crime, such as traveling with a child and being worried about him/her being kidnapped for ransom (which is a big problem for all tourists). His big advice, though, was to talk to a consular or embassy official and not someone at the US State department... he says chances are that they can work something out for you if you don't mind it taking a while to get it done.
    So I should go to the El Salvador embassy here in the US before leaving the country, see if I can get a permit for myself?