• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling out of country

Joxer

imported post

I'm I allowed to take a firearm with me out of the country? if so what is the correct way of doing it? I plan on calling taca to see what their policy is.

I'm traveling to El Salvador. My only problem is I don't know what their laws are in the country. I have trying to serch the net the past few days but I can't find nothing on firearm laws for other countries :X

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Call the embassy and ask them to direct you to the source. This is different than asking them the law.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Joxer wrote:
I'm I allowed to take a firearm with me out of the country? if so what is the correct way of doing it? I plan on calling taca to see what their policy is.

I'm traveling to El Salvador. My only problem is I don't know what their laws are in the country. I have trying to serch the net the past few days but I can't find nothing on firearm laws for other countries :X

Wow, well if oc is legal, and you do it, you have more balls than I do.

I would be afraid to be caught dead in a prison system outside of the united states.

denwego

imported post

One of my roomates when I was working on my BA is a guy named Alfredo, who grew up in El Salvador with a hunter for a father, so I asked him about what you need to do to have a firearm there. He said that you need a license to carry a gun openly only in San Salvador, the capital, and that a foreigner would never get one (and that while it isn't illegal to carry a gun outside the capital, you'd have to be a "brave f---ing guy" to try it in front of the criminals who have bigger guns than you do). He said that if you can provide some sort of need, such as hunting, they'll give you a temporary importation permit at an El Salvadorean consulate in the US for a period of time, but if you did that you'd probably need to grease some palms at Immigration and again if any local cops felt like hitting you up for a bribe.

The other thing you can do is get to El Salvador without a gun and then rent one from a local security agency for a few bucks a day; you can get a temporary "Licencia para la seguridad personal" if you can prove that you're a likely target for crime, such as traveling with a child and being worried about him/her being kidnapped for ransom (which is a big problem for all tourists). His big advice, though, was to talk to a consular or embassy official and not someone at the US State department... he says chances are that they can work something out for you if you don't mind it taking a while to get it done.

Joxer

imported post

denwego wrote:
One of my roomates when I was working on my BA is a guy named Alfredo, who grew up in El Salvador with a hunter for a father, so I asked him about what you need to do to have a firearm there. He said that you need a license to carry a gun openly only in San Salvador, the capital, and that a foreigner would never get one (and that while it isn't illegal to carry a gun outside the capital, you'd have to be a "brave f---ing guy" to try it in front of the criminals who have bigger guns than you do). He said that if you can provide some sort of need, such as hunting, they'll give you a temporary importation permit at an El Salvadorean consulate in the US for a period of time, but if you did that you'd probably need to grease some palms at Immigration and again if any local cops felt like hitting you up for a bribe.

The other thing you can do is get to El Salvador without a gun and then rent one from a local security agency for a few bucks a day; you can get a temporary "Licencia para la seguridad personal" if you can prove that you're a likely target for crime, such as traveling with a child and being worried about him/her being kidnapped for ransom (which is a big problem for all tourists). His big advice, though, was to talk to a consular or embassy official and not someone at the US State department... he says chances are that they can work something out for you if you don't mind it taking a while to get it done.
So I should go to the El Salvador embassy here in the US before leaving the country, see if I can get a permit for myself?