• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Beaches

638Fitta

imported post

Hello all-

My wife andI are going to Ocean Isle this week for a little night timesurf casting,and want to know if the beach is a "State Park", or "National Park", and/or prohibits the carry of concealed weapons. We live in Va. and are not familiar with the NC laws except that we have an reciprocal agreement with NC. All pointers, tips, warningsor linksare welcomed. Thanks.

40 S&W

imported post

Hello i am from NC & i live 45 Topsail Island.. Can you tell what city or county OCEAN ISLE reside in? With that valuable information i can have you answer hopefully 2 close to hrs.... thanks

40 S&W

imported post

Hello i have a answer i called THE OCEAN ISLE Beach POLICE DEPT (910)579-4221 & spoke with the a female desk.. She said you would have to bring your hand gun to the station also i informed that VA does reciprocate FOR CONCEAL CARRY ONLY...Twist #1 against the law to carry a handgun in a POLICE STATION & other various locations. My suggestion is DO NOT open carry,,,OC is for NC residents,,,,if u want to carry concealed u are covered along with permit,,,last of all 1 phone to the police man on beach with gun in plain view TERROR TO THE PUBLIC,,,,,,CONCEALED carry law & open carry 2 entirely different laws... think about it

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Open carry is not for NC residents alone. It applies for any American, as designed by our founding fathers. A VA resident can cross into NC and open carry all day long. Calling the police dept is the worst way to get the right answer. They don't want an armed individual running around the retirees. Of course they're going to tell you not to carry. They would prefer you left your guns at home, or better yet, not own any. As long as the beach is a national park, you may open carry to your heart's delight. Open carry and concealed carry are viewed equally by the state, with the exception of financial institutions that will allow OC.

I hope this message catches you before you leave. I would hate for you to be unarmed, should you need it, due to misinformation.

44.MAGMAN

imported post

Once again you blow me away with your wisdom. 40Cal is right.

The cops are notour enemy, but more like the very bossy big bother that likes to twist around and add to what the Big Pappa (USA) says you can do. They're there for us, but at the same time they can be a huge pain in the ass.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I hope the beach isn't a national park, because a few weeks ago I took a nice long, liesurely stroll up and down the beach with my .40 on my hip. Ya know thestereotypical beach outfit...loose-fitting wrinkly white button up shirt and linen pants with sandals? Yeah, picture that, but with a gun lol. I don't know how many people noticed (there were plenty of people on the beach) but no one seemed to care.

I didn't even think to consider that the beach would be a national park. I'll have to check that out.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

All right, I'm confused. Remind me please..is any kind of carrying allowed innational parks in NC??

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol I'm so confused! Anyway it looks like any of the public beaches are NOT state nor national parks. The only part of the beaches that are national parks are the capes (i.e. cape lookout and hatarass or however you spell that). From what I understand, it's safe to assume that if there are businesses and/or houses along the beach, then it is NOT a park...it's simply public or private property.

I figure if I walk out there and don't pass a sign that tells me I'm entering a park, nor do I see any signs referencing weapons, then I'm not restricted.

638Fitta

imported post

Thanks guy's. We have been to Ocean Isle Beach and back already. Nice place. Not too much going on there though. It's a family beach with "LOTS" of private homes/ rentalsand a few hotels and places to eat. No problems carrying. I just CC'd and let it go at that. Beach rules signs everywhere. None of which say anything about firearms. Classic rules with "NO Alcohol" But no mention of guns. Thanks for all of your input and willingness to teach. Ciao!

unrequited

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
unrequited wrote:
Did you mean to say as long as the beach is not a national park, you may open carry?
No, actually state parks are restricted.  National parks aren't.  They are controlled by federal laws.
That's that whole Title 18 thing section 930 that Mike's working on... I know for a fact that I don't carry in Shennandoah for that exact reason. Now you've got me stumped.

casullshooter

imported post

Possesion of a firearm in a NATIONAL PARK is a felony except for transporting through the park . This info. was given to me by a lawyer .

The beaches may however not be National Park land .

UTOC-45-44

imported post

http://www.packing.org/faq/

Carry concealed weapons on Federal Property

Q: Is Post Office Carry Legal?
A: Check the General Notes area of the All United States Page at Packing.org. There you will find links to threads on Packing.org that discuss this topic and links to outside sources on this topic.

Q: Carry in National Parks.
A: Carry in National Parks is not legal even with a permit. Gun must be unloaded and stored while in a National Park.

Q: Carry In National Forest
A: If you can legally carry in the state the National Forest is in you can carry in the National Forest. You can not carry into any buildings on the National Forest as they are owned by the Federal Government.

smlawrence

I'm totally confused. I am planning a trip to Topsail Beach for a few days of fishing and am trying to get educated on OC'ing during our trip. I'm pretty sure that I wont be able to OC on the Jolly Roger Fishing Pier because they sell alcohol inside the hotel office and allow alcohol to be consumed on the pier. I'm trying to be sure about anywhere else on the island we visit during our trip. Any rapid responses would greatly be appreciated.