Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Open Carry Essentials.

Post imported post

From what I've gathered by lurking around and studying, for my own knowledge and desire to OC, these are some of the things a person should have, do, and expect.

PLEASE add to the list as you see necessary.
    ---------------------------------

*From 'packing_in_la'*
    The Louisiana Attorney Generals Office :<br>
    http://www.ag.state.la.us/opinionsearch.asp
    It has produced The following AG opinions. Much thanks to Crashvector and others at this site for pressing the issue.
    Search the AG site with the following phrase : open carry firearms

You will find:<br>
    Opinion#    &a mp;nbsp;     Opinion Title<br>
    Code:
    95-0198 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=14594" target="_blank">The effect of pardons</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
    87-0389 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=10581" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 87-0389.DOC</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
    83-0126 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=7825" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 83-0126.DOC</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
    79-1212 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=4694" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 79-1212.DOC</a><br>
    78-1288 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=3531" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 78-1288.DOC</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
    78-0795 <a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=3165" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 78-0795.DOC</a><br>
    The ones we care about are the last three : 79-1212, 78-1288, and 78-0795. <br>
    I will post the copys of the documents for everyone to read. I intend to print copys of these and keep them on me when I open carry.<br>
    Code:
    *from 'Progunin TN' & 'CrashVector'*
    http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=3165

--------------------------------

*From 'SpringerXDacp' & packing.org*

Places off-limits while carrying

Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 12:56 pm

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge
    may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a
    political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the
    carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except
    that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal
    firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for
    shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful
    baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place
    of worship;
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is
    issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an
    establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail
    permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of
    Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of
    1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
    premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as
    defined in R.S. 14:95.6. Additionally, property
    owners, lessees, or other lawful custodians have the right
    to prohibit or restrict access of permittees possessing a
    concealed handgun. Furthermore, a permittee may not carry a
    concealed handgun into the private residence of another
    without first receiving the consent of that person.
    Additionally, the blood alcohol reading of the permittee
    must not exceed .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the
    blood.--------------------------------------
    *from 'ike'*
    §95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet
    A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.
    B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.
    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.
    D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
    Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.

-------------------------------------------

-Know your rights and the law
    -Expect to be confronted by LEOs and various people
    -Do not expect LEOs or various people to know the law
    -Make sure that the law is followed
    -Press charges on those that break the law and/or violate your rights.
    -DONT MAKE OCers LOOK BAD...in this day & age politicians, law makers, and many others in power want to have YOU under their control, exercise your rights to the fullest but do not abuse them. Its not a matter of political preference anymore, very few politicians respect the law, the Constitution, or the citizens.

----------------------------------------------

Thats what I have so far...help me out.

Post imported post

Ok I suck at some of this haha...here's a link to what 'packing_in_la' posted

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/926.html

My printer isnt working at the moment, makes me sad...I wanted to OC around town but dont want to w/o the laws printed out.

Post imported post

I'm in the Port Allen area...very close to Baton Rouge...and I am often in Baton Rouge for school, work, etc.

I open carry every day. Only had a few minor issues.

Post imported post

sounds good.

Contact info can be found on my blog

here:

crashvector.blogspot.com

No, its not a shameless plug...but I prefer not to give out unfiltered information.

Oh, and if you go to WholeFoods in Baton Rouge a lot and see a guy open carrying a Walther P99 Military....that's me. lol

Post imported post

I've never seen any non-LEO open carry in Louisiana. I don't know, maybe I've been living in a box. It's something I wanna try, but people are so touchy I could imagine scaring almost everyone who walks by and getting crazy looks from everyone else. I would be especially worried about cops. I didn't even know about the legality of open carry until I took my class for CCW. I'm in BR by the way.

Post imported post

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I guess it would be cool to hang out with some open carry guys. I don t have any friends who carry though, concealed or otherwise. Maybe if some forum members got together and went out. I might feel out of place though. I get the feeling that most of you are older than me. It s probably just that the internet is severely lacking in maturity.

Post imported post

lol

I dont WORK at WholeFoods...but I go there alot, and I'm always open carrying.

I'd say I'm there ~2x a week at least.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    I've been hoping/trying to loosely organize the few open carry folks around BR for casual outings. As long as you're 18 and not a convicted felon, I have no problem with associating with anyone openly carrying. Maybe we can entice Crashvector into joining us (and others?) for an open carry get together.............!!!!
    I'm a fairly busy guy. Most of the time, I'm working until late at night (I'm a nurse). I wouldn't mind getting together when I'm off though.

Although trying to work around a nurse's schedule is gonna be pretty hard.

Post imported post

Younger guy (22), not new to BR, just never see anyone carrying openly.

Post imported post

I'm in New Orleans. It's nice to meet you all.

Post imported post

Hello from Hammond.

Post imported post

A big howdy from Slidell. I do ocassionally get to the BR area, and would absolutely love to go OC'ing with those of you interested. Is there a range or something to use as an excuse to go to BR. I could always tell the wife I need to do some shopping(JIM's)!

On the same note, If any of you want to come down to Slidell, our LEO's need some educating also.

Post imported post

There are indoor ranges in either Slidell or BR if that is what we were going to do.

Might be nice to just have lunch and hang out a bit.

Hammond has no range, but does have resturants and is 40-45 miles from both.

I don't know about Gonzales after your experiences there Mark.

Whatever y'all would like, I may come if I have the time when you schedule it.

Post imported post

If we wanted to hit the range in BR there's Precision right down the street from Jim's. I go there all the time.

Post imported post

I wont be shooting at precision. Ever.

The first (and last) time I was there, I was struck by two of my own bullets. The hit the backstop and flew right back at me. One hit me in the right shoulder, the other hit me in the left upper chest.

Both left one HELL of a bruise.

Post imported post

WOW! What happened after you got hit? I said I go there all the time but I haven't been in a minute. Not since they changed management. They at least used to be awesome.

Post imported post

100Percen% wrote:
    WOW! What happened after you got hit? I said I go there all the time but I haven't been in a minute. Not since they changed management. They at least used to be awesome.

I packed up all my stuff, walked out of the range, showed the manager the bruises, and told him I would never be back.

Post imported post

That is wild. I don't know of any other ranges in BR though.

Post imported post

100Percen% wrote:
    That is wild. I don't know of any other ranges in BR though.
    I shoot at Sherburne WMA. I take at least one trip there a week. You head up 190 (airline) towards opelousas, turn before the big bridge right before Krotz Springs.

I do a fair amount of rabbit hunting there with my Ruger 22/45 pistol with ironsights. Keeps me sharp

Post imported post

Its been a while since I've checked this board, hehe.

I've been open carrying a lot though...its been great, actually.

I Open Carry at:
    Walmart
    Target
    Whole Foods
    Mall of Louisiana
    Barnes & Noble
    ...etc.

So far I've simply had to educate a few ladies at the jewelery counter in Walmart, and I get glares from Un-Armed security guards at Target.

Un-Armed security...I know its a job, but...I turn down jobs where I have to handle criminals if I cant carry a firearm. Thats just silly & dangerous..."unarmed security."

www.ronpaul2008.com

www.dailypaul.com

www.myspace.com/ronpaul2008

Thats the man right there! ^^^

But its not me.

Post imported post

Have we just forgotten about planning an open carry outing? I made my first serious step toward open carry thursday. I went to Jim's and bought a Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa Auto Lock. I didn't carry that day cause my next and last stop was Buffalo Wild Wings. I haven't carried yet cause all I do is go to work except on off days. Come tuesday I'm carrying everywhere I can.:celebrate

Post imported post

100Percen% wrote:
    Have we just forgotten about planning an open carry outing? I made my first serious step toward open carry thursday. I went to Jim's and bought a Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa Auto Lock. I didn't carry that day cause my next and last stop was Buffalo Wild Wings. I haven't carried yet cause all I do is go to work except on off days. Come tuesday I'm carrying everywhere I can.:celebrate
    No....I tried for three WEEKS to get everyone together. No one even bothered to reply to my posts.

Post imported post

That sucks. Mark was the first one I talked to about it. If at least us three can get together then hey, three's company.

Post imported post

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    I've been hoping/trying to loosely organize the few open carry folks around BR for casual outings. As long as you're 18 and not a convicted felon, I have no problem with associating with anyone openly carrying. Maybe we can entice Crashvector into joining us (and others?) for an open carry get together.............!!!!
    what about a felon that can Legally own and posses a firearm ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast