• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana Open Carry Essentials.

constitutionlover

imported post

From what I've gathered by lurking around and studying, for my own knowledge and desire to OC, these are some of the things a person should have, do, and expect.

PLEASE add to the list as you see necessary.
---------------------------------

*From 'packing_in_la'*
The Louisiana Attorney Generals Office :<br>
http://www.ag.state.la.us/opinionsearch.asp
It has produced The following AG opinions. Much thanks to Crashvector and others at this site for pressing the issue.
Search the AG site with the following phrase : open carry firearms

You will find:<br>
Opinion#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Opinion Title<br>
Code:
95-0198 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=14594" target="_blank">The effect of pardons</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
87-0389 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=10581" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 87-0389.DOC</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
83-0126 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=7825" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 83-0126.DOC</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
79-1212 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=4694" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 79-1212.DOC</a><br>
78-1288 									 										<a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=3531" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 78-1288.DOC</a> 										 								 								 				 								 								 									<br>
78-0795 <a href="http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=3165" target="_blank">Opinion Import - 78-0795.DOC</a><br>
Code:
The ones we care about are the last three : 79-1212, 78-1288, and 78-0795. <br>
I will post the copys of the documents for everyone to read. I intend to print copys of these and keep them on me when I open carry.<br>
Code:
*from 'Progunin TN' & 'CrashVector'*
http://www.ag.state.la.us/ShowDoc.asp?DocID=3165

--------------------------------

*From 'SpringerXDacp' & packing.org*

Places off-limits while carrying

Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 12:56 pm

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
A detention facility, prison, or jail;
A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge
may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
A polling place;
A meeting place of the governing authority of a
political subdivision;
The state capitol building;
Any portion of an airport facility where the
carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except
that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal
firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for
shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful
baggage;
Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place
of worship;
A parade or demonstration for which a permit is
issued by a governmental entity;
Any portion of the permitted area of an
establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail
permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of
Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of
1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
premises.
Any school "firearm free zone" as
defined in R.S. 14:95.6. Additionally, property
owners, lessees, or other lawful custodians have the right
to prohibit or restrict access of permittees possessing a
concealed handgun. Furthermore, a permittee may not carry a
concealed handgun into the private residence of another
without first receiving the consent of that person.
Additionally, the blood alcohol reading of the permittee
must not exceed .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the
blood.--------------------------------------
*from 'ike'*
§95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet
A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.
B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.
C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.
D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.

-------------------------------------------

-Know your rights and the law
-Expect to be confronted by LEOs and various people
-Do not expect LEOs or various people to know the law
-Make sure that the law is followed
-Press charges on those that break the law and/or violate your rights.
-DONT MAKE OCers LOOK BAD...in this day & age politicians, law makers, and many others in power want to have YOU under their control, exercise your rights to the fullest but do not abuse them. Its not a matter of political preference anymore, very few politicians respect the law, the Constitution, or the citizens.

----------------------------------------------

Thats what I have so far...help me out.

CrashVector

imported post

I'm in the Port Allen area...very close to Baton Rouge...and I am often in Baton Rouge for school, work, etc.

I open carry every day. Only had a few minor issues.

CrashVector

imported post

sounds good.

Contact info can be found on my blog

here:

crashvector.blogspot.com

No, its not a shameless plug...but I prefer not to give out unfiltered information.

Oh, and if you go to WholeFoods in Baton Rouge a lot and see a guy open carrying a Walther P99 Military....that's me. lol

imported post

CrashVector wrote:
sounds good.

Contact info can be found on my blog

here:

crashvector.blogspot.com

No, its not a shameless plug...but I prefer not to give out unfiltered information.

Oh, and if you go to WholeFoods in Baton Rouge a lot and see a guy open carrying a Walther P99 Military....that's me. lol
Was at Whole Foods tonight, didn't see you nor did anyone seem to know who you are...........!!!!!!!!!

100Percen%

imported post

I've never seen any non-LEO open carry in Louisiana. I don't know, maybe I've been living in a box. It's something I wanna try, but people are so touchy I could imagine scaring almost everyone who walks by and getting crazy looks from everyone else. I would be especially worried about cops. I didn't even know about the legality of open carry until I took my class for CCW. I'm in BR by the way.

imported post

100Percen% wrote:
I've never seen any non-LEO open carry in Louisiana. I don't know, maybe I've been living in a box. It's something I wanna try, but people are so touchy I could imagine scaring almost everyone who walks by and getting crazy looks from everyone else. I would be especially worried about cops. I didn't even know about the legality of open carry until I took my class for CCW. I'm in BR by the way.

Welcome to the forum !! Yep, there are very few open carry folks in BR.......you may find it more comfortable to open carry (at first) in the company of other open carry folks. There's strength in numbers, as they say...........

For the past 10 or so years, I've been teaching local cops, one at a time, about the legality of open carry by openly carrying !!! Most don't know the laws, a few actually appreciate the information.

100Percen%

imported post

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I guess it would be cool to hang out with some open carry guys. I don t have any friends who carry though, concealed or otherwise. Maybe if some forum members got together and went out. I might feel out of place though. I get the feeling that most of you are older than me. It s probably just that the internet is severely lacking in maturity.

imported post

I've been hoping/trying to loosely organize the few open carry folks around BR for casual outings. As long as you're 18 and not a convicted felon, I have no problem with associating with anyone openly carrying. Maybe we can entice Crashvector into joining us (and others?) for an open carry get together.............!!!!

CrashVector

imported post

lol

I dont WORK at WholeFoods...but I go there alot, and I'm always open carrying.

I'd say I'm there ~2x a week at least.

CrashVector

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
I've been hoping/trying to loosely organize the few open carry folks around BR for casual outings. As long as you're 18 and not a convicted felon, I have no problem with associating with anyone openly carrying. Maybe we can entice Crashvector into joining us (and others?) for an open carry get together.............!!!!

I'm a fairly busy guy. Most of the time, I'm working until late at night (I'm a nurse). I wouldn't mind getting together when I'm off though.

Although trying to work around a nurse's schedule is gonna be pretty hard.

imported post

My daughter "was" a paramedic with EMS till a rough psyche patient injured her back, requiring a disc replacement surgery. Now, she's an EMS dispatcher. She, too,works late hours. There's a younger guy on here, new to BR, wants to possibly have an open carry outing........you game?