• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Road Trip

njeske

imported post

I'm going to be traveling from NV to WA in a few weeks and have a question about carrying in the car through OR. I was hoping to be able to open carry in my car, but I see that that is prohibited without a permit. I don't have an OR permit. We will be taking my truck, so there's not a trunk to put the gun in, so does an unloaded gun in a locked case satisfy the law? If so, can I keep the mag loaded as long as it's outside of the case? That's how I intend to transport the gun through CA, so I'd assume that's ok in OR as wel, but I'd still like to make sure.

Thanks for the help.

njeske

imported post

follow up question. does anyone know which counties are more friendly to issuing non-resident permits? my trip will take me through several counties in OR and i'd like to get an OR permit as long as i'm in the area.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

njeske wrote:
I'm going to be traveling from NV to WA in a few weeks and have a question about carrying in the car through OR. I was hoping to be able to open carry in my car, but I see that that is prohibited without a permit. I don't have an OR permit. We will be taking my truck, so there's not a trunk to put the gun in, so does an unloaded gun in a locked case satisfy the law? If so, can I keep the mag loaded as long as it's outside of the case? That's how I intend to transport the gun through CA, so I'd assume that's ok in OR as wel, but I'd still like to make sure.

Thanks for the help.
Actually that is not correct, at least according to State v. Fisher.

Attachments

• State_vs._Fisher.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 266

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

njeske wrote:
follow up question. does anyone know which counties are more friendly to issuing non-resident permits? my trip will take me through several counties in OR and i'd like to get an OR permit as long as i'm in the area.

I have heard that Klamath County will issue for personal protection. In Northwest Oregon, your best bet would be Washington County, and if you're travelling through Eastern Oregon into Eastern Washington, Umatilla's a good one.

Best to pick up the phone and call. Klamath would be a good start.

njeske

imported post

so if i wanted to open carry, it looks like i should be ok. however, since i'll be coming in from CA anyways, it will probably be easiest to just leave it locked up and unloaded. i'd just like some confirmation that that's an OK way to transport a firearm through OR.

Bear 45/70

imported post

njeske wrote:
so if i wanted to open carry, it looks like i should be ok. however, since i'll be coming in from CA anyways, it will probably be easiest to just leave it locked up and unloaded. i'd just like some confirmation that that's an OK way to transport a firearm through OR.

The wife and I travel extensively in Oregon for visiting and vacations. We are bothConcealed Carry legal in Washington, our home state. I haveapproached several Oregon State Troopers and several different counties deputy sheriffs in the last 2 yearsabout the best way to carry while traveling in Oregon by carand all answered the same way. The gun must be in plain sight, on the dash, on top of the console or on the seat in plain sight. Never been stopped but whenquad riding in Oregon I open carry always and have never drawn a glance from anyone. In fact at the Morrow County OHV Park over the Memorial Day weekend I open carried without either one of the deputies doing more than nodding at me, even though the park has a no shooting provision, they understand that there are real bears and mountain lions in the park and do not require you to be unarmed, thisper the park manager. Hell, part of the time I had my Magnum revolver in my quad tank bag holsterand my 44 Special personal defense gun open carried on my belt and no officials cared. I did however educate several other riders that live in Oregon about the legality of open carry in their state.

In Washington it's a whole different thing for an out of stater. You can not open carry in a vehicle open or concealed without a concealed weapons permit. So you will need to unload and lock the gunin the truck for travel in Washington.

njeske

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
njeske wrote:

The wife and I travel extensively in Oregon for visiting and vacations. We are bothConcealed Carry legal in Washington, our home state. I haveapproached several Oregon State Troopers and several different counties deputy sheriffs in the last 2 yearsabout the best way to carry while traveling in Oregon by carand all answered the same way. The gun must be in plain sight, on the dash, on top of the console or on the seat in plain sight. Never been stopped but whenquad riding in Oregon I open carry always and have never drawn a glance from anyone. In fact at the Morrow County OHV Park over the Memorial Day weekend I open carried without either one of the deputies doing more than nodding at me, even though the park has a no shooting provision, they understand that there are real bears and mountain lions in the park and do not require you to be unarmed, thisper the park manager. Hell, part of the time I had my Magnum revolver in my quad tank bag holsterand my 44 Special personal defense gun open carried on my belt and no officials cared. I did however educate several other riders that live in Oregon about the legality of open carry in their state.

In Washington it's a whole different thing for an out of stater. You can not open carry in a vehicle open or concealed without a concealed weapons permit. So you will need to unload and lock the gunin the truck for travel in Washington.

Thank you very much for all of the info. I have a UT permit, so I'll be fine once I get to WA. It's the traveling in CA and OR that I'm not looking forward to. Maybe if I'm brave I'll keep the gun on the dash once I get into OR. Chance are I'll just keep them all locked up though.

Bear 45/70

imported post

njeske wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
njeske wrote:

Thank you very much for all of the info. I have a UT permit, so I'll be fine once I get to WA. It's the traveling in CA and OR that I'm not looking forward to. Maybe if I'm brave I'll keep the gun on the dash once I get into OR. Chance are I'll just keep them all locked up though.
I traveled to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia for the last time 2 years ago. I will never darken their landscape ever again because of their stupid and oppressive laws. The wife agrees with me, we felt naked without our personal protection the whole trip.

njeske

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
njeske wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
njeske wrote:

I traveled to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia for the last time 2 years ago. I will never darken their landscape ever again because of their stupid and oppressive laws. The wife agrees with me, we felt naked without our personal protection the whole trip.
i would avoid CA if it was economical, but to drive around is nearly double the miles. i'll drive through, but i'll make sure i don't haveto stop for gas or anything else. i grew up in CA, so i'm used to their crazy rules. just wish i didn't have to deal with them.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

I always openly carry a pistol in a belt holster while visiting Oregon. Watch out for local ordinances. Are you driving through Portland?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

State v. Fisher does not appear to invalidate Portland's ordiance banning gun carry. Local ordiances banning gun carry in OR are inapplicable to OR concealed handgun permit holders by way of OR state statute.

Please click on OR for full info - we think we have identified the OR localitites with gun carry bans; outside of those cities, OC in a vehicle is legal without permit.

You should be able to plan your trip accordingly.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
FYI

In Oregon, it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon on a ATV. I don't have the exact law, but trust the OFF site.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/

(search for ATV).

Ken
Never met a officer in Oregon who was aware of this. Fortunately here in Washingtonour Legislaturedoesn't havetheir heads as far up their asses as Oregon's Legislaturedoes. Seems on a motorcycle I would be legal which is a much less stable steed.

schizrade

imported post

Good lord. Ok so I am going to Portland week after. Am I good to open carry in the car until Portland? At least in CA I know it is a NO everywhere. I am taking 5 the whole way up.