• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Times/OC, Mike Stollenwerk article

reefteach

imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20040719-102254-3826r.htm

Mike Stollenwerk, a Fairfax County resident and a permit holder, said being able to carry a weapon openly gives people a sense of security.

"It's an insurance policy," he said. "I'm not a statistician, but it makes people feel more safe when they have the right to carry."
Still, Mrs. Howell said she agrees with those who say guns in holsters pose a serious threat. She tried unsuccessfully to persuade the state legislature to ban guns from establishments that serve alcohol and vowed to try again next year.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Still, Mrs. Howell said she agrees with those who say guns in holsters pose a serious threat. She tried unsuccessfully to persuade the state legislature to ban guns from establishments that serve alcohol and vowed to try again next year. "It's pretty obvious that guns and alcohol don't mix," [emphasis added] she said. "Having guns in places that sell alcohol puts the public and employees at risk. People don't necessarily think straight when they are drinking."
It is not at all obvious that 'guns and alcohol do not mix.' I suspect that guns and excessive alcohol do not mix just as excessive alcohol and driving do not mix. Or excessive alcohol and sexual congress do not mix. The latter is tolerated, the next is a problem problem not solved by banning automobiles as Mrs. Howell's logic would require.

Virginia state Sen. Janet D. Howell says she was surprised when a D.C. resident sent her an e-mail saying he won't be crossing the Potomac into Virginia anymore because of the open-carry law. "He feels that the District of Columbia is a safer place to be," said Mrs. Howell, Fairfax County Democrat.
This is Socratic irony at its best and likely a lie. Why would she mention one e-mail, espousing what she would have us believe is a popular position, rather than prate of the 99.8% positive response to her in-house, non-scientific poll of her electors?

Mike Stollenwerk, a Fairfax County resident and a permit holder, said being able to carry a weapon openly gives people a sense of security. "It's an insurance policy," he said. "I'm not a statistician, but it makes people feel more safe when they have the right to carry."
I wonder if Mike S. has been reading Hank T, here, and his self-assigned attribute as 'graduate of statistical and quantitative analysis. A personal anecdote may be the truth but 'two personal anecdotes do not data make.'

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

"It's pretty obvious that guns and alcohol don't mix," [emphasis added] she said.

Hmm, well if not in moderation, you may certainly have a problem with some people being beligerent and causing problems, but this can happen when they are unarmed as well....

I was thinking how dangerous cars can be, and especially after drinking, so I am going to urge my congressman to abolish all parking facilities at every restaurant and store that serves or sells alcohol so that nobody may drive their vehicles to these locations, this is obviously the right thing to do, and there are no flaws in my logic :).

Anyone behind me on this?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Some very nice quotes from PVC and MS. Pretty balanced article, though it's obviously pretty old now. Still good to read it again.

Doug Huffman wrote:
...'two personal anecdotes do not data make.'

Well, actually theyare data. Anecdotal accounts are qualitative data. One can use that kind of data for many purposes, including suporting a point but it must be done well or else it's ng. These data are just not generalizable in any way like the quantitative are, that's all.