• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regarding Firearms on the UW Campus

Difdi

A BB gun is not a firearm?

Nope. I could tweak a paintball gun to produce obscene gas pressures and load it with 17mm ball bearings, to the point it could blow a 2x4 into splinters...and it would not be a firearm in Washington. Which kinda sucks, because I'd love to be able to carry an airgun as my OC sidearm. Ammunition would be VERY cheap, after all... :D

tombrewster421

Nope. I could tweak a paintball gun to produce obscene gas pressures and load it with 17mm ball bearings, to the point it could blow a 2x4 into splinters...and it would not be a firearm in Washington. Which kinda sucks, because I'd love to be able to carry an airgun as my OC sidearm. Ammunition would be VERY cheap, after all... :D

But with that smooth bore and not a snug fit with the projectile it's not very accurate.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Husky Alum here....

I carry on campus, the hospital, Husky Stadium, Sark's office (yes, coach Sark), the band room, the tunnels, the library, etc.... ok I carry concealed but so what....

EMNofSeattle

Husky Alum here....

I carry on campus, the hospital, Husky Stadium, Sark's office (yes, coach Sark), the band room, the tunnels, the library, etc.... ok I carry concealed but so what....

Just don't get the campus PD called on ya, obviously it's SOP to pretend there's a law restricting guns on campus and act accordingly. I'm more interested in the story posted here where someone calls in describing a CCer and UW police arrive with drawn guns to deal with what is not a criminal issue.

unknownsailor

Obligatory IANAL, but after looking at it a while back, there is no RCW that prohibits it, but the WAC, while not specifically concerning firearms, allows the school to set it's own rules. And WA schools, being the bastions of progressive thought that they are, all have "no weapon" clauses in their student code, and all present will react very negatively if you are discovered, as the story about the campus police demonstrated.

So, carry if you want, but be advised you risk expulsion and a very confrontational experience with the campus po-po if you are caught.

Don't get caught. ;)

And I say this as a future student, who will be working on his 4 year BS starting in 2014.

Temblor

Banned
Apple cup in the 90s ? when the goalpost was torn down & UW Police drew their weopon

I went to the Apple cup in the 90s ? when the goa lpost was torn down.. those big bad UW Police drew their weapons & absolutely drenched those poor students with mace.. (some of them fell off the cross bar of the goal post because of it!!) It was authoritarian rules.. on those poor students after they defeated WSU... but the students prevailed and continued to drop that goal post right into Lake Washington.
Of all the videos of I have seen of other colleges & students celebrating a big rival victory and tossing the goal post.. (including WSU one year) I have never seen such a police response..
But did come across this link for discussion

http://www.washington.edu/admin/rules/policies/WAC/478-124-020.html

More info

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300