• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regarding Firearms on the UW Campus

amlevin

imported post

Since this passage really deals with one's refusal to comply when instructed to do so by a UW Police officer, the only real issue becomes one of trespass which Seattle has ordinances against. No prosecution on gun charge if person is carrying legally, just on the failure to comply with instruction or trespass.

In Business, we used to call these the "weasel clauses" for obvious reasons.

just_a_car

imported post

expvideo wrote:
What's unfair to you is that I always carry when I walk the UW campus. Because I'm not a student.
I'm a student.

I am a proud owner of a WA CPL.

I am a proud owner of a GLOCK 27.

I care about my safety and the safety of those around me as any American citizen should.

'Nuff said.

gregma

imported post

There are only two things that can happen if you legally carry a firearm onto the UW campus "while a student". There is only one thing that can happen if you legally carry a firearm onto the US campus "while not a student".

#1 - They can demand that you leave the campus. If you do not, then they can have you sited for tresspassing. (this applies to students and non-students).

#2 - Expell you from the UW on administrative grounds (breaking the rules you agreed to when enrolling).

That's it.

Thanks!
Greg

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
But where in that does it say "school property" is limited to Elementary and Secondary schools? It mentions Elementary and Secondary schools, then says OR facilities that are used exclusively by schools. That, to me, includes school buildings, such as all the buildings on the UW campus. I think the only way I'm going to figure this one out for sure is to ask a lawyer and pay up for the service.

It's known as a 'dependant clause' (nope, not a lawyer here either, just basic grammar). The dependant clause always refers to the original subject in proper English. It's a little ponderous, but most legislators seem to feel some need to write ponderous phrases.

Example with multiple dependant clauses:

Legislators notice the veneration for thearchaic languageof the Constitution, but what they don't realize is that it was written in formal but contemporary English, and it only seems stilted and ponderous after two+ centuries of linguistic shifts.

they = "Legislators"

it= "the archaic language of the Constitution"

Boyd

imported post

expvideo wrote:
What's unfair to you is that I always carry when I walk the UW campus. Because I'm not a student.
A friend told me that the same thing happens in technology. Most Technology employers blindly copy anti gun boilerplate into their employee handbooks ... and then outsource half their positions to contractors ;) Not that employees always read the handbooks that HR hands out of course.

amlevin

imported post

The company I retired from used to send out the Employee Handbook by putting it in the mail slots in the mail room. When I went to pick up my mail, I just put it back in the HR manager's mailbox. There were usually 5-6 others there too.

If they only knew, there were probably more guns on the premises than HR manuals in the hands of Employees:cool:

SBD

imported post

So a question for the people who were discussing this--what do you do on campus as students? That is, do you go ahead and carry or do you take some other route (i.e. non-firearm means)?

just_a_car

imported post

SBD wrote:
So a question for the people who were discussing this--what do you do on campus as students? That is, do you go ahead and carry or do you take some other route (i.e. non-firearm means)?
Please see my post above on Sun Jun 10th, 2007 04:23 pm.

G27

imported post

I go to a college in the area and I conceal carry. I didn't really see a need to until after VT and I know I am not the only one who does now. I hate the fact that I feel the need to have to arm myself especially at an acedemic university, but in today's society you never know when you will have to do what is necessary to protect yourself, most importantly, and others around you. Not everyone is realistic about the world we live in, and while it is not our job, I hope as a person of morales would protect others as well.

just_a_car

imported post

G27, I have yet to definitively state on here whether or not I carry as a student at the UW. This is because this is a public forums which anyone could read and I only have 1 more year until I graduate with my bachelor's degree.

Until such time, my above post is the most you'll hear about my opinion on carry at the UW.

JamesM

imported post

It is talked about a here also.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=266809&page=2

Alpine

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...-BB-gun-arrested-in-UW-library-214645921.html

SEATTLE -- Reports of a man carrying a handgun on the University of Washington campus brought officers storming into Odegaard Library with guns drawn Sunday afternoon.

According to the University of Washington Police Department, a student saw a 23-year-old man with what looked like a handgun tucked in his waistband enter the campus library around 4:30 p.m.

The student told staff, who called police, according to the report. A witness on the scene told KOMO News campus police officers entered the library with assault rifles and sidearms drawn.

Officers found and arrested the man, who was carrying a realistic-looking BB gun, according to police.

The man is facing possible misdemeanor weapons charges.

Not sure how this applies as the man in question was carrying a BB gun IWB.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Last edited: