Thread: AG office needs a wake up call

Post imported post

I am sick of this ......so here's my letter to my state rep and senator here in PA..... maybe you should contact yours.......

Date

My Name
    MY Address

Their Name
    Their Address

Dear Sir, senator, representative, etc..

I am writing you today in regards to Pennsylvania’s firearm reciprocity agreement with Florida (Copy Enclosed). An issue I find very disturbing, It seems that there is some VERY conflicting information about this agreement between the Pa. Attorney General’s office and that of the Pa. State Police on the honoring of a NON-Resident permit in regards to the resident status of the permit holder, as Florida as well as New Hampshire, Virginia, and several other state’s (as well as Pennsylvania) do issue NON-Resident Permits to person’s after they undergo an investigation of there person.

I.e. in the case of Florida, they must submit fingerprints, which Florida sends to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, who then runs a background check, and reports back to Florida.

This Far exceeds the check that Pa. uses to issue their license to carry firearms, whether it is to a resident or NON-Resident of Pa, i.e. NO fingerprints, NO FBI background investigation.

If you read the agreement, it is plain to see and simple to understand that the agreement state’s “The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”. Yet there seems to be much confusion over this. Nowhere in the agreement is any mention made whether the permit holder need to be a resident of the state of Florida.
    Yet the Pa. State Police seem to insist that there is an issue with a NON-Resident permit, as referenced to in an opinion letter (copy enclosed) from the Pa. Attorney General’s office. I find this to be an egregious act, in which the Pa. state police are clearly overstepping their boundaries as a law enforcement agency and are in fact trying to re-write the laws to suite themselves.

It is at this time, Senator Punt, that I ask you as my Senator, to please see that this matter is put to rest. If I may suggest that a new reciprocity agreement be drafted or the current agreement be amended, for Florida as well as any other state that issues NON-Resident permits, to which Pennsylvania has a firearm reciprocity agreement, to ensure that the resident status of the permit holder NOT be an issue, and ALL person’s who have a valid permit be free from fear of prosecution by an overzealous law enforcement agency.

Thank you for you time. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions in regards to this letter.

Sincerely,

Me.

Post imported post

so far have letters going to:

Franklin County:

Senator Terry Punt

Kerrstown Square, Suite 2
    166 South Main Street
    Chambersburg, PA 17201

Hon. Mark K. Keller
    1270 Crottlestown Road
    Chambersburg, PA 17201

Hon. Todd Rock
    15 East Main Street
    Waynesboro, PA 17268

Hon. Rob W. Kauffman
    166 S. Main Street
    Chambersburg, PA 17201

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'd make the language a little clearer. If I'm a staffer reading one of the letters, and unfamiliar with the issue, I won't easily get that the problem is that PA Atty Gen doesn't want to honor CCW's issued by another state to someone who doesn't live in that other state. Maybe even make a quick explanation that most states issue permits to folks who live in the state (resident permits)and to folks who don't live in the state, (non-resident permits).

Just something to make it a little easier to grasp on the first read by someone with no familiarity.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.