Thread: Requirement to update CCW permit

Post imported post

I was unhappy to see that beginning July 1 that I will be required to have my permit updated to show my present address after recently moving.

18.2-308 D1. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's note) Whenever any person moves from the address shown on the concealed handgun permit, he shall, within 30 days, notify the issuing court of his change of address. The court shall issue a new concealed handgun permit as provided in subsection H and provide the Department of State Police with the permit information as required in subsection K.
    Subsection H does not mention anything as to timeframe.

My question is: When I turn in my application for a address change, is this something they print up then and there, or will I be expected to wait for some bureaucracy to take place? If I do have to wait several days/weeks. . .will I have to hand over my old permit while I wait for the updated one?
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

NO, this section of code never got funded. IGNORE IT.

Post imported post

Ignore what?

thanks Mike!
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mike is very reliable. But on something like this, even if the voice of God whispered in myear (otherwise known as LEO229 ), I'dcheck it out.

I think there is a letter from someone at VA State Police about it floating around this site somewhere.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Anyone find that letter?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

The thing to do will be to see what the code says AFTER July 1st...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

What I have been told at agun shop.

In Prince William Countyyou can update your CCWpermit address anytime it changesto match your DL (government/picture ID). In Fairfax county you must wait until your 5 year renewal to update, but thenyou have a mismatch in your permit and DL address. If you wanted to use your permit as a second ID address source to buy a new hangun you can't since you address don't match your DL for the National database check approval. I don't know truly if you update your permit in Fairfax. But I am concerned since my permit states (must be carried with proper photo ID). It would seem to me then you just go get a new permit claiming it is lost, hopefullythey take your new address, I guess. I hope this is not true

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    In Prince William Countyyou can update your CCWpermit address anytime it changesto match your DL (government/picture ID). In Fairfax county you must wait until your 5 year renewal to update, but thenyou have a mismatch in your permit and DL address. If you wanted to use your permit as a second ID address source to buy a new hangun you can't since you address don't match your DL for the National database check approval. I don't know truly if you update your permit in Fairfax. But I am concerned since my permit states (must be carried with proper photo ID). It would seem to me then you just go get a new permit claiming it is lost, hopefullythey take your new address, I guess. I hope this is not true
    My CHP was lost. I had it re-issued by Prince William County. I have moved since the permit was originally issued. I provided my old and new address. It was re-issued with the old address.

The letter accompanying the re-issued permit stated (and was highlighted in yellow) that I was not required to provide an updated address.

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    What I have been told at agun shop.

The VA CHP with an address not matching the address on your DL, if any, can still be used in addition to primary and secondary ID to overcome VA's one handgun a month law.

Post imported post

I recently moved and contacted the VSP to see if I needed to follow a process to have the address changed on my CHP. The answer is No. I will post the response from the VSP when I get home tonight.

Post imported post

Would be nice if VCDL would sponsor a bill cleaning up some permit things. Like establishing a policy for lost and stolen permits and procedure to change addresses and reissue permits. I know if you updated your DL, generally the CHP flag attached to your name will follow you to your new address. It did for me when I moved from Fairfax to Manassas.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Mike is very reliable. But on something like this, even if the voice of God whispered in myear (otherwise known as LEO229 ), I'dcheck it out.

I think there is a letter from someone at VA State Police about it floating around this site somewhere.
    HAHAH

As with any information given to you here.. Always verify it for yourself. There is always a chance that one of us my not have it 100% accurate.

It is in the code section online and not repealed or removed. I am not sure anything would ever happen to you if it was legit. Mike has reported that it is not valid. Maybe he can point you in the direction to know for sure.

Post imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
    generally the CHP flag attached to your name will follow you to your new address. It did for me when I moved from Fairfax to Manassas.
    DL records do not show CHP status. Only a VCIN name check brings up such status.

There is no reason to change addresses, so no reason to have a bill to force us to do so.

Post imported post

For the record, I don't update my DL, I just get a change of address card.

Then again, I move every year or so, which means it makes no sense for me to shell out money for a new DL everytime.

Hell, my DL still says Virginia Beach...
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    rabbit994 wrote:
    generally the CHP flag attached to your name will follow you to your new address. It did for me when I moved from Fairfax to Manassas.
    DL records do not show CHP status. Only a VCIN name check brings up such status.

There is no reason to change addresses, so no reason to have a bill to force us to do so.
    True.... What is the real purpose to even have your current address on the permitanyway? Unless.. when they mail you anything related to that permit. Maybe a registered letter wishing to revoke it.

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

What is true purpose of the VCIN? Track/identification ofcriminals/felons/ex cons/Perpsor law abiding CCpermit holder or BOTH or maybe a place to hold nasty information about you.

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    What is true purpose of the VCIN? Track/identification ofcriminals/felons/ex cons/Perpsor law abiding CCpermit holder or BOTH or maybe a place to hold nasty information about you.
    VCIN is the Virginia Crime Information Network.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.co...mation+Network

It does hold information about criminals. It also hold information about missing persons, stolen property, and CC permits.

Having the CC permits in there is good because there is always a chance you could not have your wallet the moment your stopped. Be it.. lost , stolen, or left at home accidentally.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    dichamw wrote:
    VCIN is the Virginia Crime Information Network.

It does hold information about criminals. It also hold information about missing persons, stolen property, and CC permits.

Having the CC permits in there is good because there is always a chance you could not have your wallet the moment your stopped. Be it.. lost , stolen, or left at home accidentally.
    But due to a variety of data transfer problems and mistakes, the VCIN does not have all CHP holder's data (i.e., mine) and typos abound.

Post imported post

See http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

It looks like all the references to change of address have been removed...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington