Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Open Carry experience in Lawrence

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , Kansas, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    Here are two links to threads that are already progressive.

    Now that I know about this site I will post my experiences on here also.

    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?...hreadid=706973

    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?...hreadid=707105

  2. #2
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    IfI had a permit that Kansas recognized, I'd OC every time I go home. I'm from Topeka, which does have an OC ban, but the CCW law exludes permit holders from local anti-carry codes.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    IfI had a permit that Kansas recognized, I'd OC every time I go home. I'm from Topeka, which does have an OC ban, but the CCW law exludes permit holders from local anti-carry codes.
    Sounds like your situation is similar to mine. Try this on for size:

    I'm active duty military, VA resident, VA driver's license. Been in KS for over 3 years now. Can I get a CCH permit for KS? Nope! Will they recognize a FL permit? Nope! (Not a FL resident). If I had money I'd sue under the 14th Amendment.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    First let me say that we're almost neighbors, so I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences. I spend a lot of time in Lawrence, and would love to hear about locations that seem for or against. However, I am most concerned with how LE reacts. Local business doesn't worry me too much. Overreaction by LE, does.

    CCW can be a real pain, but at least at this point I'm relatively comfortable about how to do that legally and not expect negative ramifications.

    I believe that the more people become accustomed to firearms being carried responsibly in thegeneral publicand seeing that the world does not come to and end, the better off we will all be.

    However, I recognize that society is not what I would like it to be. I am personally not prepared at the moment to deal with the potential ramifications of being in the right, and yet still being hassled, potentially seriously. All you have to do is read the story of Dan Sayers in Oregon OH to know that just being right or legal won't protect you from the current state of fear or ignorance that many people live in.

    I admire your conviction and ability to lead the pack here, but would love to ride your coat tails and help advance the cause. Not exactly the bravest stance I've ever taken, but again, I have to recognize that my actions and their potential effects could also signifcantly affect my family, etc.

    Good luck.



  5. #5
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    stewartjwnls wrote:
    All you have to do is read the story of Dan Sayers in Oregon OH to know that just being right or legal won't protect you from the current state of fear or ignorance that many people live in.
    The way I read things, at the time Ohio did not have full pre-emtion for open carry, he violated a grandfathered statute.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    stewartjwnls wrote:
    All you have to do is read the story of Dan Sayers in Oregon OH to know that just being right or legal won't protect you from the current state of fear or ignorance that many people live in.
    The way I read things, at the time Ohio did not have full pre-emtion for open carry, he violated a grandfathered statute.
    While I'll admit that I would not want to argue this one, I think I read that there is some debate on whether the statute was grandfathered or had been superceded.

    That's part of what I consider to be the problem. If you get six expert attorneys together on something like this, you'll get 8 different opinions.

    I believe it is extremely difficult and confusing for the average person to keep track of where there are laws that could affect them, and even if you could, the legalese involved can be subject to interpretation, particularly by LE, and more importantly, by a zealous prosecutor.

    Feels like a full time job.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •