• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience in Lawrence

IanB

imported post

IfI had a permit that Kansas recognized, I'd OC every time I go home. I'm from Topeka, which does have an OC ban, but the CCW law exludes permit holders from local anti-carry codes.

mitchd

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
IfI had a permit that Kansas recognized, I'd OC every time I go home. I'm from Topeka, which does have an OC ban, but the CCW law exludes permit holders from local anti-carry codes.
Sounds like your situation is similar to mine. Try this on for size:

I'm active duty military, VA resident, VA driver's license. Been in KS for over 3 years now. Can I get a CCH permit for KS? Nope! Will they recognize a FL permit? Nope! (Not a FL resident). If I had money I'd sue under the 14th Amendment.

stewartjwnls

imported post

First let me say that we're almost neighbors, so I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences. I spend a lot of time in Lawrence, and would love to hear about locations that seem for or against. However, I am most concerned with how LE reacts. Local business doesn't worry me too much. Overreaction by LE, does.

CCW can be a real pain, but at least at this point I'm relatively comfortable about how to do that legally and not expect negative ramifications.

I believe that the more people become accustomed to firearms being carried responsibly in thegeneral publicand seeing that the world does not come to and end, the better off we will all be.

However, I recognize that society is not what I would like it to be. I am personally not prepared at the moment to deal with the potential ramifications of being in the right, and yet still being hassled, potentially seriously. All you have to do is read the story of Dan Sayers in Oregon OH to know that just being right or legal won't protect you from the current state of fear or ignorance that many people live in.

I admire your conviction and ability to lead the pack here, but would love to ride your coat tails and help advance the cause. Not exactly the bravest stance I've ever taken, but again, I have to recognize that my actions and their potential effects could also signifcantly affect my family, etc.

Good luck.

IanB

imported post

stewartjwnls wrote:
All you have to do is read the story of Dan Sayers in Oregon OH to know that just being right or legal won't protect you from the current state of fear or ignorance that many people live in.
The way I read things, at the time Ohio did not have full pre-emtion for open carry, he violated a grandfathered statute.

stewartjwnls

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
stewartjwnls wrote:
All you have to do is read the story of Dan Sayers in Oregon OH to know that just being right or legal won't protect you from the current state of fear or ignorance that many people live in.
The way I read things, at the time Ohio did not have full pre-emtion for open carry, he violated a grandfathered statute.

While I'll admit that I would not want to argue this one, I think I read that there is some debate on whether the statute was grandfathered or had been superceded.

That's part of what I consider to be the problem. If you get six expert attorneys together on something like this, you'll get 8 different opinions.

I believe it is extremely difficult and confusing for the average person to keep track of where there are laws that could affect them, and even if you could, the legalese involved can be subject to interpretation, particularly by LE, and more importantly, by a zealous prosecutor.

Feels like a full time job.