• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forum Moderation & Feedback

How Much Moderation is good for OCDO?

• Needs More Moderation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Just Right

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One of the reasons I like OCDO so muchis that it's "lightly moderated". The discussions can and do get heated, but the strongest swords are forged in the hottest fires.

We're all adults and self-moderate more than anything. Peer pressure is the best way to get the point across to an individual that their behavior or attitude expressed in the forum is way off or not welcome at all.

I've often stated that you canmeasure the greatness of a governmentnot by how MANY laws it has, but how FEW.I feel the same way about OCDO. I feel our strength and power rests in YOU, our members, not in the number of rules we have. In fact,we only have FIVE rules total (listed below as a reminder ;)) and I honestly don't think there needs to be any more than that.

That said, how are we doing?

What do you thinkwouldmake OCDO a better place?

(legal disclaimer -this is just a wish list - your wishes are NOT guaranteed in any way! YMMV)

Bob

To remind everyone of the rules that John has posted at: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

Welcome to opencarry.org. We are a free discussion forum dedicated to helping people understand the shifting landscape of open carry laws in the US. All are welcome but we do have a few rules.

1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics.

2) Keep the profanity to a minimum. While an expletive may be the only way to convey the depth of anger / surprise or frustration you are trying to express, please do not use them gratuitously.

3) Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances!

4) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks based upon race, religion or sex.

5) We reserve the right to remove posting for any reason, at our sole discretion.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

All advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an attorney, law enforcement official or expert in a given field, there is no way to verify that fact. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

We need more moderation! Please set some more controls on us so that our free speach doesn't offend anyone else. These constant exchanges of individual thought are detrimental to the long-term control of the members of this forum. How can you expect everyone to think the same way if you don't impose stricter moderation? In the name of L Ron Hubbard, add some controls!

BTW: :celebrate

vrwmiller

imported post

I voted that it needs more moderation. Not in the sense that we need to remove posts or limit anyone's free expression of thought, but in the sense that I think the thread hijacks take threads way too off topic. I think that some of these hijacks deserve to be split from the thread and new threads created from them. Apart from that, almight moderator :D, I think a swell job is being done to moderate the forum.

bohdi

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I voted that it needs more moderation. Not in the sense that we need to remove posts or limit anyone's free expression of thought, but in the sense that I think the thread hijacks take threads way too off topic. I think that some of these hijacks deserve to be split from the thread and new threads created from them. Apart from that, almight moderator :D, I think a swell job is being done to moderate the forum.
+1 my 0.02

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

BTW, I didn't mean to make light of the question. I sincerely believe that moderation should be imposed so that we don't take serious threads into the realm of jest by watching Hank and Hawk which side of the bed belongs to whom. and don't let that guy post the picture of Rosie O'Donnell again...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't, just as others, want to see anyone's words or thoughts moderated.

What I would like is to see threads that get off topic split out in to sub-threads or separated out completely. There have been some very good threads that I've nearly quit reading because they got to be 10 pages of repeats of photos, size 7 type, and posts that have nothing to do with the original topic.

unrequited

imported post

Most of the other BB boards phpBB / vbadvanced / vbulletin / etc. allow for thread splitting, mergings, etc. It'd be a lot easier to take a hijacked thread, and with a about 2 minutes of time and a couple clicks, split the jacked posts into an offtopic thread.

unrequited

imported post

I'll have it said, I haven't run a phpBB/vB in years so I don't know if they're still free or not. I am still an admin of phpBB & vB (one of each for game forums) so I know how easy the admin side is once you get past the migration from old users & board to new.

1st freedom

imported post

I think these questions about moderation should be asked in moderation,

WE have to much of the BB/Vphpbvvb thing,

To much HankT

And not enough :lol::celebrate:lol:

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I have an idea for dealing with thread hi-jacks. Since wowbb can't split threads, it would be nice if folks would start a new thread with a link to it from the old one. This would allow some of our more long winded and argumentative members to have their 15 page debates without forcing the rest of us to either abandon the conversation (which I have started doing) or wade through piles of trash in order to find the gems.

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I have an idea for dealing with thread hi-jacks. Since wowbb can't split threads, it would be nice if folks would start a new thread with a link to it from the old one. This would allow some of our more long winded and argumentative members to have their 15 page debates without forcing the rest of us to either abandon the conversation (which I have started doing) or wade through piles of trash in order to find the gems.

LoveMyCountry

I like the idea about starting a new thread with a link to the old one.

Of course, if one wants the "gems," one only has to look for the pseudonym, Citizen, that epitome of moderation, wisdom, and humility! :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Citizen,,

Where'd you learn to spell like that ??

DAMN'',, that's a thing'a beauty,,
Grammar from Hawkflyer, shameless self-promotion from LEO229, and spelling from Calvin & Hobbes. :)

IanB

imported post

I think the thread about "off topic" discussion has now veered "off topic".

VAopencarry

imported post

I think thread hijacks are a good thing, more 'real life'. A normal real life conversation turns and morphs into other topics of discussion, fake life should imitate real life. :)

What I would like to see is people posting links that are 3 miles long post them using the url code or the mod 'fix' them. My screen is not 36 inches wide. Trying to read while scrolling left, right is a pain. :celebrate