• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forum Moderation & Feedback

How Much Moderation is good for OCDO?

• Needs More Moderation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Just Right

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tomahawk

imported post

Ability to report or flag offensive posts would be nice, but I realize that that's a software issue, not a moderation issue. And in any case, the mods here respond very quickly if you point one out. Still, something to consider if you ever load new forum software. AN ignore function, perhaps, as well.

Lew

imported post

openryan wrote:
Couldn't it only approach zero or infinity?
Well, it was a probability, and probabilities are between 0 and 1 inclusive (think: a 1/1 chance...)

Anyway, I love this place, and although there seems to be a recent Attack of the Tangents, I think a little self-moderation is all it takes. Just ask yourself, "is this benefiting the discussion?"

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks, Tomahawk. Yeah an awful lot on immigration, I've seen that. That's more of a political issue, as it doesn't affect our liberty or freedom (See rule 1). You could argue that almost ANYTHING is related to one of those, but I'm going to put a lid on that stuff. We don't want to get into politics except how it relates to gun rights.

Once I get a good response to this, we'll lay out some memberguidelines.

IanB

imported post

I would like the ability for the person who created the forum topic to moderate the topic.

Example: I create a topic about the Ruger Mark III in the forum "choosing a handgun". Person "X" comes in and writes about his love for Hillary Clinton. I delete his post w/o moderator input or action.

Collier4385

imported post

I do not mind political debate - however it should be confined to an exclusive area of the forum. GlockTalk has an excellent division for various topics, but I typically disgusted at some of the personal attacks launched in GT.

Moderation should be kept to maintaining the topic on any given thread and dealing with behavioral issues if they arise. Furthermore, changes to the forum could be put to a vote - for example, Poster A wants to discuss politics non firearm related - poll goes up, do we want it or do we not want it. The community decides - simple means to gauge the sentiments of the OCDO community. I think this community has grown closer than originally anticipated, and some leeway on the topics should be granted. Organization and separation of topics should be maintain and moderated.

I have found the moderation on OCDO to be unobtrusive, but I do partially attribute it also to the calibre of people on this forum not requiring an e-nanny.

Remember...

In matters of firearms, unity... in matters of opinion, liberty...and in all things, charity.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Ho ho ho. There are a couple of prolific, dare I say prolix, posters who would loove that ability. I save them the trouble, if these few posters start, or comment in, a thread then I try mightily to never encourage them - TRY! Sometimes I fail. But just darn - it ain't about 'you' or your ignorant ... <rant deleted> See, self-moderation.

Some here should study-up on 'argumentation.' The conspiracy of ignorance masquerqades as common sense.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Thanks, Tomahawk.  Yeah an awful lot on immigration, I've seen that.  That's more of a political issue, as it doesn't affect our liberty or freedom (See rule 1).  You could argue that almost ANYTHING is related to one of those, but I'm going to put a lid on that stuff.  We don't want to get into politics except how it relates to gun rights.

Once I get a good response to this, we'll lay out some member guidelines. 

Bob,

As one of those who does participate in a lot of off topic discussions, I can certain try not to do that in the future. But I think to keep any forum alive and growing, you really do want a variety of topics available for discussion even if the connection to OC/CC and firearms is remote. It would soon become very boring if all that was available was threads full of open carry reports. While that is valuable information to "the cause", there is more to discuss to move the ball down field.

As long as the posts on immigration and similar kinds of issues are confined to the politics areas, I am not certain I see the harm. Someone here suggested an area for open topic discussion (think Rush open line Friday here) might be a good answer for that sort of thing. I would agree with that, rather than a prior restraint approach. If people think the topic is out of place, they usually "vote it off the island" by not participating in the thread and allowing it to "sink".

The only suggestion I might make is to remember that people focused in a debate on an issue might not realize the extent this bothers (inhibits) others. Kind of like target fixation. You guys might want to consider stepping in gently on those occasions just to break the tension and apply a note of objectivity. You know a gentle reminder that "take no prisoners" is not the order of the day.

On the whole I think you guys do good job.

Regards

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Splitting threads, ignoring users and OP moderation(Original poster aka thread starter) are not available for WoWbb...

I thinkeach of those items speaks to just how off-topic we do get. I agree that it's more like real life and makes for interesting discussion, but we have to keep it in check. Gentle reminders work wonders. Not allowing discussion to turn into debate and then into an argument is the best course. The old ounce of prevention thing.

Flagging a post as inappropriate would make life easier, but currently there is no way to do that or to even link to a single post for that matter.

Thanks for the input, great ideas all!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I would like the ability for the person who created the forum topic to moderate the topic.

Example: I create a topic about the Ruger Mark III in the forum "choosing a handgun". Person "X" comes in and writes about his love for Hillary Clinton. I delete his post w/o moderator input or action.

I don't think ANY forum software does that. At least I've never seen it happen. One thing to remember is that this forum is John's, not ours. He pays for the software, licenses and hosting and doesn't ask a dime for it. We should remember that we are his guests.

Think of it as if it were John's Shooting Range. He lets us come here, talk about Open Carry, guns and gunrights, discuss and debate, and share experiences and news among other things. Every range has rulesthat, come to think of it, make pretty good sensehere too:

1) SHOOT IN YOUR OWN LANE (No cross thread posting)

2) KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEYOND (Keep it on target/topic)

3) KEEP YOUR MUZZLE POINTED DOWNRANGE (Think before you post)

4) DON'T SWEEP OTHER WITH YOUR MUZZLE (Discuss, dont argue/insult)

5) ALCOHOL AND FIREARMS DON'T MIX (ALCOHOL AND FORUM POSTING DON'T MIX EITHER)

6) ANYONE NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES IS SUBJECT TO REMOVAL (self-explanatory)

The same way you wouldn't start a fight in his house/range, it is not allowed here. There are no "rights" on the forum except those that are granted by John. BASIC RULE 5 applies:

5) We reserve the right to remove posting for any reason, at our sole discretion.

As with every other internet discussion forum, if you cannot abide by the rules or continuously break them, you will be asked to leave.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One more:

Think of the other guy.

Posting pictures, copying pictures in every e-mail, posting long articles instead of simply posting a link, etc. takes up bandwidth. Not every person reading this has high-speed connections; many areas of the nation have only dial-up as a realistic expectation. When you fill the space just to fill it, you do those people a disservice.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Excellent one Tess. If someone creates a thread with a lot of pics, it's a common forum courtesy to make that known in the title such as (pic heavy) or (not safe for dial-up)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
#5, while totaly sensible at a range, is an infringement on my right to bear cocktails! :cuss:

I, for one, am completely against bear cocktails! Can you just imagine the trouble? First you want to arm bears, now this??

sand-bear-746161.jpg

Attachments

• luna (Small).jpg
    luna (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 178

IanB

imported post

I don't agree with the "bandwidth and pictures" problem. We should take a poll to see how many users are on dialup. The only person I know on dialup is my Grandpa, and he's stubborn.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Not just dial-up but 5 miles of POTS wire (no DSL). After a microwave link across Death's Door at ~45N, so satellites are hidden by trees if you're lucky (they can be cut down) or the Niagra Escarpment - 1200 feet of it is my backyard bluff and it can't be just 'cut' down.

I'm hoping for a satellite dish atop my 75 foot antenna mast atop the bluff but it is probably not stable enough. A tiny fraction of a degree of shake at the end of a 23,700+ mile beam is a lot of miss.

I am considered fortunate with my typical 33K connections. Some can't beat 20K.